Beware: Mamba content!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude,

Very cool stuff....I'm just listening through but can tell you guys spent some time writing and developing these songs....I gotta be honest when i say that I wish the recording were more appropriately mixed but it isn't bad at all....I just hear an underlying greatness that is virtually left open in these recordings...Almost like the performances are there and up to snuff, it's just an odd presence that the recording gives...It would be well representative of other bands but you guys need more of a meshing mix....This one allows each instrument its space but doesn't allow much bleed and you guys sound like a tight unit....

Great stuff!

All the best,
Fig

You're just too old Matt!! :lol:

The writing and especially playing is very good, **** those rhythms are @#$%ing tight!
But I hear what you mean Matt, I think most of it is in the drums. The kick has a bit of a tick in it and the cymbals seem to have a bit too much prescence.
Maybe it is down to the mix rather than the sounds, some cymbals seem much louder than others.

BUT overall the quality is very good! I'm not just saying that, it has a hi-def feel that is hard to get, but it also makes these little flaws stick out much more. ;)
Besides those things I'd say it's also a case of opinion ;) For instance: I prefer more mids in the bass guitar, but that is obviously not your type of sound..

I know what you mean about IR's .. it's just so much easyer to get acceptable tones.
But then a miced tone can be so much better when you get it right :)

Edit: huh?! this reply was beneath yours haha, dunno what's going on here...

Great to hear you like it =)
And good to have some feedback from some people on here who I think are tone-whores and aren't so easily satisfied :D

I hear what you mean and I think most of that is really caused by the drums. They are (unfortunatly) programmed and I really wish we could record them to give them more of a live-feeling but no possibilities right now without going to studio :wink:
These songs were recorded and mixed at home...

What I really "hate" are the cymbals.... :wink:

Signal chain as follows:

Ibanez RG502 /w Tesla Plasma 3 PU -> Mamba -> GSP1101 /w EQ: Cut at ~300Hz & 8kHz; Impulse Response is Engl Pro V30 #10 out of sperimental pack.

Then only some notches in Cubase to kill any overpronounced frequencies and high pass to make room for bass and kick.

I really wanted to stop using IRs and finaly micing my cab but as I'm quiet satisfied with the results I'm getting out of this combination and my neighbours suddenly realise I'm playing too loud I'll keep it this way for now.

Yeah sorry Mojo, deleted it and posted it again.... you're a fast poster ;P

Well (fortunatly) I never really had the benefit of a great mic'ed cabinet tone so I'm not missing so much perhaps.

But I recently bought extra mic stands and stuff to start micing and now my family suddenly thinks I'm so much louder than before and tells me to quiet it down. oO

We'll see when I really start micing. My 4x12 is now back in the rehearsal room but I have a 1x12 Thiele here that I might use....

Since the drums are programmed, try this tutorial out ;) It's not your band's style totally, but it's a good starting point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpsKp-vdBLY

guitars sound killer
? why are you cutting at 300? Is that a tight Q setting? Even still, that's not a freq I usually knife. I roll up to 80-120 and roll down at 8k, along with a surgical tight Q around 2.8 for di recordings.

Not criticisizing, just curious as eq is not my expertise

I read over that at first .. 300 is scarily close to 400 which is where most of your actual "notes" are around..

So I'm also interested how much you're cutting there, db and width wise.

@Shinozoku: Thanks for the link, I know Ola's tutorials and they are really nice, but the drums are already using parallel compression..... (Something thats killer, both live and in studio 8) )
I think its more something like it's hard to programm drums to make them feel like real drums. Nevermind we have two drummers (our screamer is a very good drummer too) that programm these but of course it doesn't compare to the real deal.

Sooo EQ-wise:

In fact there are 2 "notches" programmed in my GSP (Although I'm not sure how "notchy" these are as you can't see the Q, only "narrow".... Mojo can you help out here?

one is at 212Hz with -10db, the second is at 375Hz also -10db
A medium bandwith cut at 8kHz with -10db against the fizz.....

I know these are huuuge cuts but hey, it works :wink:
And I prefer cutting some overpronounced frequencies instead of boosting others.....

-> Cut 200-350hz instead of pushing ~140hz and something between 1.5k and 4k. Although I've never found myself adding below 300Hz....
For the complete song: there is more EQ, if you'd like to I can post that too....

Something like @200hz cut against mud, 4k is fizz and so on only works sometimes..... use that as starting points but always use your ears!! So much dependend on your whole signal chain, guitar, amp, cab, mic, mic position and so on.....

For highpassing: 75Hz for guitars is quite low imho... most of the time I'm above 100hz for that.

Edit: I'm using my RM4 in two bands atm: one metalcore and a Indie-rock/pop band... :wink:
I found that when playing over my 4x12 without the cab IR I'm switching the EQ to off. Although there are many reasons why that could be: Different guitar, pickups, tuning, cabinet.... Mamba settings are only slightly adjusted and Cab has 2xV30 and 2xCustom Eminence (which will be changed to V30).

And yes, I'm using the Mamba for my rhythm distorted sound in my Indie band and it doesn't kill all the non-metalheads :D :D

As far as I am concerned, that is pretty damned good for a home recording/ DAW recording! People go to local studios and don't even get that sound out of their stuff. The song was well arranged, vocals sounded excellent to my ears, and the guitars were excellent. Nice tone for that genre. As a drummer myself, I wasn't crazy about the sampled drums which became obvious on the snare hits. I also find drums way to over produced now a days but that was a decent balance. Nice tight kick.

Great job!

I don't know about the EQ values on the GSP1101, like you say they aren't displayed like that. ;)
Besides that I don't use EQ at all.

Since you're using it during recording wouldn't it be handyer to actually turn the EQ off during tracking and do post-EQing in the DAW?
That way you keep all the data and can tweak after it's in the mix.
(on the other hand... I never do that either)

Latest posts