Completely pie-in-the-sky custom mod idea: Jazz Chorus

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
I've been listening to a lot of Discipline-era King Crimson lately, and it has really made me appreciate the lush tones of the Roland Jazz Chorus. Naturally, I got to wondering whether one could get this kind of tone out of an MTS module. Now, obviously, MTS stands for Modular TUBE System, and the JC amps were all solid state, but that doesn't stop me from wondering whether a clever modder could pull off a unit with those tones, whether it got that sound with tubes or transistors. And what about built-in chorus? Could that be done? Inquiring minds want to know!

The great thing about the Jazz Chorus was that a lot of the sound was from it being stereo. One would need two mods to get that sound. I have a Digitech GSP1101 and it has a model of the JC120 that is pretty **** good. ricky

Whoopysnorp said:
I've been listening to a lot of Discipline-era King Crimson lately, and it has really made me appreciate the lush tones of the Roland Jazz Chorus. Naturally, I got to wondering whether one could get this kind of tone out of an MTS module. Now, obviously, MTS stands for Modular TUBE System, and the JC amps were all solid state, but that doesn't stop me from wondering whether a clever modder could pull off a unit with those tones, whether it got that sound with tubes or transistors. And what about built-in chorus? Could that be done? Inquiring minds want to know!

Dont know about MTS but I have a Roland Jazz Chorus "model" built into my Boss GT10 and use it frequently! (Using 4CM and turn the send/return off on the pedal to allow clean power from the RM100 to power the Jazz Chorus model from GT10) Killer cleans. ...I dont see how a chorus effect could be built into a module- I am pretty sure the solid state clean could be pretty easily replicated.

I suppose another problem is that you can pick up a real JC120 for the price of a modded module.

ricky said:
The great thing about the Jazz Chorus was that a lot of the sound was from it being stereo.

Yeah, Ricky nailed it. I owned a Jazz Chorus back in the day and it was an "odd" amp to say the least. The speakers weren't designed for high output and would "fart out" when the Master was turned up past three (about 10 O'clock).

It sounded really cool with the chorus engaged but if it was turned off, the amp was rather flat sounding. The on-board solid state distortion was pretty awful, so most guys, including myself, used a Boss Heavy Metal pedal. I replaced the stock speakers with EV's, which gave it far more headroom but I sold it less than a year after I'd purchased it because it was really only good for one sound: The cleanish stereo chorus.

All that said, I'm sure that a pair of Super Clean, Lone Clean or maybe even stock clean modules, along with a true analog stereo chorus, would be certainly do the trick. Or just buy a Roland JC head! :)

I used to have a Super Clean, but there's something about what I hear on one of those '80s King Crimson records that is just a little different. It is pretty obviously not a tube sound. I think that 'flatness' is part of what it is. Anyway, I guess there are lots of reasons why this isn't practical for MTS.

Anthony and the guys @ Salvation Mods has had this idea a while ago.
I even have a concept design already. ;)

So if you really want one, contact Anthony!

concept is ready long time ago. Tony has original JC60 from good year ;)
Now must by finished one small very special part of design, don?t exist demand, so Tony works on other mods.
Yes, it is only one trick pony, but people like it :)

Didn't think I'd be the first person to think of that. I may just have to inquire about that.

hyenik said:
Now must by finished one small very special part of design, don?t exist demand, so Tony works on other mods.

Was Anthony able to incorporate the chorus?

Mike P said:
hyenik said:

IMO without built-in chorus this mod does not make sense;)

salvation said:
Mike P said:
hyenik said:

IMO without built-in chorus this mod does not make sense;)

Wow, so you did it? Genius! :D