Decimator G-String into the Boss GT8?? WTF?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi All,

So in a nutshell, want to connect the Decimator into the GT8 via the 4 cable method I have setup.

Been trying to map out how I would "loop into the loop", but just can't seem to figure it out. The ISP needs a guitar in, but so does the GT8....

how in the hell do you place this pedal in the loop so I can use it as a noise suppressor AFTER my loop in the FX chain? What I'm trying to accomplish is this:

guit > OD > NS (GT) > LOOP(AMP) > GString

The GString has a guitar in, guitar out, and the noise loop with dec in and dec out

...so, the riddle is this....if the gstring needs to have the guitar in and out jacks used, and the GT8 to run through the loop in the pedal, how in the name of Elvis do I loop the gstring pedal WITHIN the GT8 loop?? ....especially when the GT8 needs to have the guitar plugged into it?? :roll:

....If I ran only stomp boxes....so much easier :lol:

Please and thanks

Pedro

I can make it an easy suggestion. Call ISP on Monday and ask them how to connect the two. I still think you need a line level shifter or be real careful on how high you have your channel levels set.

Thanks Julia...will do. Also contacted the store I purchased from and they were stumped as well....they said, buy the GT10 :) ....it comes with 2 noise gates in it for the same reason.

P

Ehm ...
Guitar -> G-string ch1 -> OD -> GT8 -> preamp -> G-string ch2 -> GT8 ->poweramp

Ch1 being the guitar input, Ch2 being the noise gate loop.

The G-string should allways be the fist in the line so that it recieves a signal where the dynamics have not been tampered with yet by distortion or whatever. (since it uses those to tell wether the gate needs closing).

And it should also be the last in line before any time-based effects, and I figure that's why you use the 4-cable method.

m0jo said:
Ehm ...
Guitar -> G-string ch1 -> OD -> GT8 -> preamp -> G-string ch2 -> GT8 ->poweramp

Ch1 being the guitar input, Ch2 being the noise gate loop.

The G-string should allways be the fist in the line so that it recieves a signal where the dynamics have not been tampered with yet by distortion or whatever. (since it uses those to tell wether the gate needs closing).

And it should also be the last in line before any time-based effects, and I figure that's why you use the 4-cable method.

Outstanding! :shock: :D ....I'll try that out....after I buy the Dec again. :lol:

....now I just have to map out what you stated, just so I can "see the logic" behind it. off the top, I have to end my GT8 loop with the Dec connected on the amp return somehow (if that makes sense), so that the effects are the last applied...as you have stated.

Lemme know if i'm still out to Mars on this one.....and Thanks!!! :wink:

:lol: ..... no worries!

Havn't tried it out yet....will be attempting tomorrow night....hopefully.

Let me know if this sounds correct:

4-cable method is as follows:
guit into gt8 input
gt8 send into amp input
amp loop send into gt8 return
gt8 out into amp loop return

If I want to use the decimator as you described, is it:
guit into decimator input
decimator (??output or dec out??) to gt8 input
gt8 send into amp input
amp loop send into decimator (dec in???)
decimator (dec out???) into gt8 return
gt8 out into amp loop return

Welcome to spaghetti 102. Anything in brackets is what I'm not certain about...but it sorta makes sense. I'd even be happy if it was 70% correct! :lol: Feel free to clarify with the proper choice in the brackets....or fix the whole **** thing if I'm way the hell off!

Anyhow...lemme know what you think!

Pedro

Ok I checked the manual just to be sure.

The decimator has 2 in/outs, one for detecting when it needs to gate (in/out), and the other for the actual gating (dec in/dec out).

You want the first in/out at the beginning of the chain as I said, and the dec in/out at the very end (but before any delays, because otherwise it will cut those off as well).

Soo the big spagetti scheme should be like this:
Guitar => Decimator input
Decimator output => GT8 input
GT8 send => amp input
amp loop send => Decimator Dec-in
Decimator Dec-out => GT8 return
GT8 out => amp loop return

And congratulations, you are now the proud owner of the 6-cable method! :D

m0jo said:
And congratulations, you are now the proud owner of the 6-cable method! :D

:D :lol: ....6-cable method! Cost me more in cables than the **** head costs!

Thanks for confirming and getting this info back to me m0jo....much appreciated! I'll let ya know how it goes!

Pedro

Haha I have that problem too, upgraded all my patchcables a while back .. cost me a truckload! :| (13 pedals .. I have a snake running from board to amp for guitar line, 2 loops, 2x9V and a footswitch in the future)

I love complicated rigs, it's a challenge. :p

Let's see how it works out. ;) I don't think you need to set the ISP too radical, easy does it with gating/noise surpression.

:shock: ..... ahhh....never ends does it?? open wallet....give money...close wallet...kraft dinner for the next week. Oh well....it's the TONE that keeps us alive! :lol: :wink:

One thing I like about the GT8 is i'm not doing the river dance anymore just to turn the **** things on and off....interferes with starting the solo on time...ya know?? :roll: :oops:

Pedro said:
:shock: ..... ahhh....never ends does it?? open wallet....give money...close wallet...kraft dinner for the next week. Oh well....it's the TONE that keeps us alive! :lol: :wink:

One thing I like about the GT8 is i'm not doing the river dance anymore just to turn the **** things on and off....interferes with starting the solo on time...ya know?? :roll: :oops:

Haha yeah I hear ya, but there's 3 fuzzes, a booster and an overdrive out of the 13, I never use those at the same time, so there's not much tapdancing going on. :)
My wah (Ibanez Weeping Demon) is on auto-switch, and I've built a looper into my footswitch that switches my EQ in and out of the effects loop of the amp when changing channels :) (I only use it on the gain channel). It sounds complicated, but it halves the amount of footswitching and leaves more time for face-melting! :D

But I hope to get rid of the EQ and booster as soon as I get my RM4+RT2/50 :D. I'm waiting till the end of the month! ;)

Wiiiiicked! :wink: that will be a sweet setup. I still haven't tried the setup yet...I was always interested in the demon pedal....I should give it a whirl.

End of the month! Did you get it yet? I just sent down 2 mods to Trace at voodoo to get hellafied...looking forward to their return :D

P

It will be, but I'll be getting the RM4 first and RT2/50 later due to circumstances ;)
End of the month means first week of the next month for me :? the administration is a bit slow ;)

Did you get your rig up and running yet?

And you should really try the WD-7, it's a great wah for soloing. Not so great for the chucka-wah-chucka type thing ;) For the face-melting it is very good! :D
You do need to work with the settings though, don't put Q too high, and work with the volume (most of the time it sounds better when lower .. quite often you don't really need any more boost from the wah)