Egnater EG3/4 Rough Landing

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Mile Stone

Reaction score
Well my cell phone lights up with a call from a caller whose identity is "withheld". I'm like ... who the heck is this? I answer the call, it's the guy down the street from the lab where I work. He says he has a box with my phone # on it. I know right away what had happened. Have you ever felt panic and joy at the same time? It's kinda weird, I don't recomend it. The FedEx guy, thinking it was this dudes medicine from the VA, which he receives on a regular basis, dropped my EG3/4 module off with him. It was addressed properly, just not delivered well.

The good news is, my new favorite module has landed in it's owners hands and I will be jammin' tonight! Tone report later.

And I don't love them (Sovtek). They are okay, I spent a while playing it and thought, hmmmmm , time to change those out. Then the module really started doing what I wanted it to. I was planning on ordering some new 12AX7 types to play around with but I have'nt had time. So I popped a EH in V1 and then a very old Mullard in the V2. Magic. It's punchy and smooth and makes a beautiful sound set up this way. I don't know maybe Bruce would say the EH are the same as the Sovtek but I hear a real difference. Never had big love for Sovteks. Maybe some of the power tubes but not the preamp. It sounds fat and nasty. The EG3 side is more versatile than the single version I think. It can do the smooth thing and do it better than ever and it does the punchy snarling thing like the amp class video that was posted. I really was blown away by the sounds in the EG4 this time. I think to get these two to sit side by side in one dual channel module they had to share a little more sonic territory than before. While I liked both versions in the past, it seems to me in this configuration that the EG3 picks up a little punch and the EG4 picks up a little less top end and smooths out just a tad. Whatever the case is I will say this, it's still my favorite module. It smokes. I am getting a HUGE pumping lead sound out of this with the EG4 (think EJ Alien Love Child in humbucker mode) and a really solid rythem sound form the EG3. I can't wait to put some Ei or some Tung Sol in there too. This is exactly what I was looking for in my high gain module.

I have always set my stuff up as if I am transitioning through one amp so to speak. My set up now is the SL on the the left channel. I have the Plexi side set very clean with some break up, gain at about 5. I have SL channel set to a gain of about 6 or 7 for punchy crunchy sound. With these two I add in the Fulltone OCD wich just gains them up into very heavy overdrive. That gives me 4 channels of rythem tones. Then the EG3 and EG4. 6 channel highly modified Marshall tone monster is what I've got. The COD and B'man are great but are relegated to second duty. I'm heading over to post a review on the COD now.

3 Mile Stone said:
The good news is, my new favorite module has landed in it's owners hands and I will be jammin' tonight! Tone report later.

Glad to hear you got your module...

I had a similar scare last year when UPS delivered my H&K Triamp II to the wrong house... probably would've never figured it out had I not called the UPS 1-800 number and the computer said it was delivered to #800 instead of #880. Drove down the street, and sure enough, the amp was sitting on a neighbor's porch. If nothing else, it was a good excuse to introduce myself to the neighbors.

--B

I feel the same way about sovteks,the EH just seem to do justice for the EG3/4.I tried alot of tubes,I did put a set of sovtekWAs in the MHG and it took some of the edge off and sounds excellent,that mod has a trememdous amount of gain,can't wait for the cod to show up any day now and the T shirt I saw someone here on this forum with.How's that COD doin you Tommy?All I can say is those guys at the AMP LOUNGE are the best people to talk to BAR NONE.................

The COD is really cool. I really need to spend some more time with it. I have been sort of preocupied by dialing in my live/studio rig to where I want it. Now that I'm done (SL & EG with 5881) I'm going to mess with it some more. I think it needs to find its own happy place as far as tubes are concerned also. I am going to put it through it's paces next week to find some studio tones that I want to use.

The COD is a real different animal, and it has sort of a identity crisis. Bruce said somehwhere that it was his take on the D*mble thing. This is wobbley territory I think. The only reason I say that is that each persons impression of what a D*mble sounds like is even more subjective than most any other amp. How many of us have actually played one, and still he has said he is not trying to be it, just his interpretation on it. Most of us have played many of the other amps these modules emulate, or something similar. We listen to people with D*mbles and then think that is what one sounds like. But then again Santana sounded like Santana for 30 years before he ever owned one and guess what ... he still sounds like Santana. This is a much talked about sound and most conversations bring up other names as well. Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Eric Johnson and SRV are others. Where I'm going is, I don't find this module to sound quite like I expected it and it is in that expectataion that I think a few are finding this module unsatisfying. I think it has it's own voice. The COD mod has a very pumped up EQ. It sounds like everything is pushed hot, lows, mids and highs. To me, the Dumble thing makes me think more open and lower mid push than what I'm hearing when I play through it. But maybe if I played through a D*mble that is what I would sound like. See what I mean? Also it has a much higher gain structure in the A channel than I was expecting and over all it is very hot. I am running the master at about 10 to 10:30 and it is loud, even with the gain knocked down around 12 - 1 O'clock. Very hot, but it still does not sound like a high gain module at all! I also want to try it with some 6L6 power tubes as I think this will bring in a glassy texture that would probably make it more open sounding. I love it and I'm keeping it, but I'm still messing with it to see where it's going. Sorry for the ramble, but you did ask. :lol:

Cool stuff,I guess D*mble did build amps to peoples specs so they could be diff in that matter,My COD otta be hear anyday now so I will blast this thing with everything I have,Thanks Tommy for the Ramble,LOL

Good COD review, thanks!

I have COD too. I wondered first the same thing than you... this module is LOUD. I'm using it with module volumes set to 10 and other dual channel modules are set from 12-2 depending on the module.

But I dont find it's eq to be pushed all the way. This module does not have massive bass.. The bass side is very sophisticated.. yet tight if needed.. or if you boost the bass and set it high it can get spongy too.

But of the higain modules it has not as much bass as the others. However COD got some liguiq gain.. and with channel B gain pushed it can sound pretty metal also..

It has very unique sound to it... there's lots of high mids,mids going on..
The sound is hard to describe with words :)

Yep, I'd agree with you on that. Unique animal the COD. I think also it sounds like it would be a very "pedal friendly" module so I am going to get into that soon to find out.

3 Mile Stone- "rythem sound form the EG3. I can't wait to put some Ei or some Tung Sol in there too. This is exactly what I was looking for in my high gain module".

Dude, you mispelled rythm again, that's like the 451'st time on this forum. LOL

Glad you're enjoying the new mods !

Howard

452 times (RHYTHM)but they only care on TGP anyways LOL,I was playing the EG3/4 mod last night and I must say that has got to be my favorite,push the eg3 side abit and it has the largest, fattest,singing tone,I can see an EG3/3 in my future,Damm I love that mod.............

Let's just spell it the forum phonetic way --- RITHUM, this way after 2 drinks it will look just fine. LOL

Howard

Ha ha!!!!

:lol:

You guys are cracking me up! I'll have to write it down on a post a note and stick it to my computer so I can spell it right from now on. Or just keep screwing it up :oops: , I don't know.

Hey Tommy
Glad you are enjoying that COD :D Your observations are almost exactly what I thought, especially RE the hot volume.
I just had to stop the madness!
I see a few folks with 2 (two!!!) M4s and numerous modules and I know that could (no doubt) be me....
Joe

Ya man, thanks for the module. Like I said I doubt it will be a part of my live permanent set up, but I dig it. It's liek a project module. I will find a way to take this beast!

How about some clips of the COD module?

By the way i would be happy to post clips of the modules that i have (but am not sure how to do this), just let me know in what sort of context you would like the clips i.e. full band mix, alone, etc etc and i could email something.

rick,

Please post any E-Rect clips! Rhythm and leads, solo or full band. I have an MHG but the E-Rect keeps peeking my interest!

Thanks,
Matt