Favorite Overdrive?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's cool. Do these Vox units have a "Voxy" kind of tone to them or are they geared towards emulating more familiar sounds of other pedals we all know?

I would say the pedals aren't particularly Vox-ish in their tone. You can get a legit listen here http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/pedals/cooltron.htm I love the Bulldog. I put in in front of a Bogner Shiva with 6L6s and it gets me halfway between Eric Johnson and Dan Donegan. Right where I wanted. Although I do have to admit, sometimes I switch to a Homebrew Electronics Big D, but if I had to choose just one, I would go with the Bulldog.

Wow, those are exceptional clips. Re-reading my own thread here has made me realize a couple of things. One being how useful this forum is. When I started the question, I didn't really realize what I was trying to do or where I wanted to go. I now realize with all of the help from you good people two things.
1. My Reverend is actually a pretty darn good OD with my SL & B'man mods and that mid humps are sometimes useful (mavrick 10)
2. What I am really tying to do, but didn't snap until after listen to the Vox clips is that I'm trying to turn each of my single channel Egnater mods into dual channel mods by have one pedal that makes it sound EXACTLY tone wise like it did before with just more gain! Looking at the Vox Big Ben made me think "that's what I'm going for ... Volume, Tone and Gain".

I noticed while researching OD pedals on the net that many emulate the sound of this amp or that amp. Even though some of those are very excelent pedals that isn't what I want. Poor mans Dual Channel Mod, THAT is what I'm going for!

Hmmmmm, after thought. Hello, Bruce and Frank, would you build me a custon pedal?

I want a Klon... just don't have 3-400 for another pedal right now. The Eternity does it for me... and I have a Tim and a Timmy on order too so I'm trying not to OVERLOAD my OVERDRIVES! 8)

The KLON rules! It brings the most out of your amp I got one years ago when I read Kenny Wayne Shepherd was using one. He since quit using it live but I see a bunch of guys are still packing them. I saw a Metallica pic on the Line6 page and Kirk is still rocking one.

How 'bout the Voodoo Lab sparkle drive? Half of it is a TS rip-off, but the other half is a pure (transparent) clean boost. You can blend the two sides, if you want big clean boost with just a touch of TS grit. At $130 new it's pretty reasonable.

I just sold my sparkle drive on e-bay last week, and am totally regretting it already. I'm sure I'll get another one in the not-so-distant future. Hindsight.

--B

Ya B, that's a good one too. My list is so long at this point I need about $3000 just to buy them all and weed 'em out. The list would be something like this.

Voo Doo Lab Spakle Drive
Durham Sex Drive/Mucho Boosto
Austone Millenium Drive
Klon
Baber LTD and Double Drive
Love Pedal Eternity
Home Brew Power Screamer
Keeley Blues Driver
etc ... etc!

Brother. For right now I'm overwhelmed. I think I'll just stay with my Fulltone OCD. It's actually a really good unit. I'll GAS out and buy something pretty soon.

After 25 years of buying and bad-selling tons of gear, the Eternity OD is the only pedal I keep (although it's not on the floor; it's at the back side of the rack, fixed with Velcro) 8)

I use the Electro-harmonix LPB 2ube preamp (it goes for like $189). I initially bought it to warm up my old Randall RH-100. Then I upgraded to MTS (hallelujah) and used it as a clean boost for my Tweed module. I dusted it off again recently, and I've gotten it to work wonders with my Plexi and SL+ mods.

If youd like something transparent just to push your amp a little harder, its hard to beat the Xotic RC booster. However, Im using the MI Audio Blues Pro, which has a more mid-heavy tone coloring. Its about the size of an MXR pedal so it takes up almost no pedalboard real estate, is true bypass, built like a brick shithouse and is only $99. Its a great, great value and sounds fantastic.

-Matt[/i]

It's been a while since I started this post and it sure is a popular subject. I just thought I'd come back and let you guys know how I finally solved this. Brief situation synopsis: I own M4 (Single Ch Vers) I want to transition to MOD 50. So I began using my Randall RM50HB as I would the MOD, so I can sell M4, assorted modules to fund new Egnater amp.

I loaded the RM50 head with an EG3 for higher saturated sounds and an SL or B'man for semi clean and crunch tones. My goal was to find an overdrive that was so "clear" and transparent that it would essentially turn each of the single channel mods into duals, hence replicating the Egnater MOD 50 rig. I am doing this now with an Axess GRX4 Router/Switcher. In the loops I have a Fulltone OCD & Fat Boost. OCD is excellent with clean channel for a second level of crunch but was too bright for EG3. Fat Boost was working very well to take each of the channels up a notch for solos (clean & distorted). I was having trouble figuring out how to send the EG3 over the top with a big fat high gain, singing feedback thing. Final solution was simple. I put a Maxon 7 band EQ pedal (old Japanese version) in there. I just pump up the selected frequencies, boost the output a little and BOOM!

Now with all the combinations it's like having 14 channels by using the two channels and 3 pedals. I really only use about five or six combinations that really are working well now. I'm really happy because now when I finally do get the MOD 50 head I'll have that many more options. Very cool.

I did a similar thing with my RM50 head with a GRX4 as well. Modules are a modded TB and a Eggie SL (single channel). I use a Barber Silver LTD with the TB to get those slightly crunchy sounds and us a Maxon OD808 for a boost on both channels.

I know Ned, I got some of the ideas from listening to what you had done. I had not thought of putting the GRX4 on the pedal board till I saw you do it, great idea. I LOVE that Egnater SL mod, it's a killer!

Latest posts