Favorite Stompbox Delay Pedal

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAbomb12

Reaction score
Hey guys. I already am pretty much set in the effects department with a G-Major; but I'm thinking about grabbing a stomp box delay pedal for when I don't want to drag my rack around and only need a simple setup. I was just wondering what everyone's favorite stompbox delay is. (btw, I would be using the delay in my amp's parallel loop).

Digital or Analog.....?

Analog:
mimic-1.jpg

www.homebrewelectronics.com

Digital....hell Boss DD-5 worked great for me.

Boss DD-20. Bigger than a standard stomp box (about the size of 2 boss pedals), but rack quality delays on the floor. Even does a mod delay. Awesome, awesome pedal.

Marshalls new delay pedal is completly awesome and not expensive. I played one at the guitar show in Dallas recently and it rocked. 6 modes with tape echo, analog & digital sounds etc. Very cool.

Hey Tommy,you talking about the Echohead,heard clips it sounds pretty sweet and the price is even sweet!!!!!!!!

I'm likening the Features of the DD-20.

I remember way back when I had a Line6 Pod, I LOVED the ping-pong delay (even in mono) because It had a very good rhythmic feel that a standard delay pattern just didn't have.

Can The DD-20 pull off a Rhythmic delay similar to that? Can the DD-6 pull of something like that?

Nevermind, I just picked up the DD-20 and it sounds awesome. I think I favor it to my rack setup simply because its easier to setup, and I really only ever use Delay (and a little EQ) with my G-major.

Glad you found one you like and yes JMGman70 it was the EchoHead. Sorry I couldn't remember the name. It's a great little pedal.

TheAbomb12 said:
Nevermind, I just picked up the DD-20 and it sounds awesome. I think I favor it to my rack setup simply because its easier to setup, and I really only ever use Delay (and a little EQ) with my G-major.

I had the same setup. I was basically carrying around a rack with a G-Major for no good reason. With the DD-20, a few other small effects, and the Egnater footswitch on the ground, Im covered. Good choice with the DD-20. Its a very popular pedal for a reason.

yeah, I'm just going to be using the DD-20 and my Amp's footswitch- The Engl footswitches are really nice and simple to use.

(that is until I get a M4- Then I'll need my rack to control midi stuff and routing)

+1 on the Marshall EH1. Can't beat it for a new pedal considering price.

I also love the old Zoom 5050 Choir pedal. It has delay/echo, but also some chorus and a couple other effects. It was one of only 2 pedals Zoom ever made that was worth a ****. Hard to find now, so grab one if you can.

Scooter said:
+1 on the Marshall EH1. Can't beat it for a new pedal considering price.

I also love the old Zoom 5050 Choir pedal. It has delay/echo, but also some chorus and a couple other effects. It was one of only 2 pedals Zoom ever made that was worth a ****. Hard to find now, so grab one if you can.

Cool to hear somebody else talk about those Zoom pedals. I have one of the 5050 Choirs and three (!) of the Zoom 5000 Distortion pedals.

BTW, the DD-20 can do chorus as well.

The DD-20 doesnt actually have a chorus mode, per say. It has a mod delay, which puts chorus on the repeats. You cant use it as a chorus pedal though. I use the mod delay almost exclusively with the Twin side of the TD. Sounds ridiculous!

EWSEthan said:
The DD-20 doesnt actually have a chorus mode, per say. It has a mod delay, which puts chorus on the repeats. You cant use it as a chorus pedal though.

Yep, I've got "chorus" in one of the presets in my DD-20 and it sounds really nice. If I remember correctly, I believe I went to mod delay mode and set the repeats on the lowest setting, delay time very low, and level high.....and bam, pseudo chorus.

I find there are different flavors to delay.
Even among analog delays they sound different. And Tape, is even diffent from Analog or digital.
Try lots and see what ya think.

But by law, all should have modulation on the repeats, it really is THAT musical.

-GtrGeorge

Im changing my mind....the Eventide Timefactor is the bomb! My DD-20 is out! Still great, but the Eventide is just more clear to my ears.

Anyone wants to buy a mint DD-20, PM me :D

Ive heard about the Eventide Timefactor.... but has anyone tried the TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay?

What are people's Impressions on the Eventide Timefactor Vs the TC Electronic Nova Delay? Why would one choose the Eventide over the TC? And Vice versa...

I already have a DD-20, would it be worth me getting either one as an upgrade?

Right now I'm using the Nova Delay and an old Ibanez DDL which sounds very transparent. I sold my Timefactor. Still have an Echo Park that I was using before the Nova. Good delay for the price.