Fractal/Atomic Mono Tube 50W MB-50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyze

Reaction score
So I think Im going to get into this module game finally.. the hard part, is deciding if I want to get one of the Randall RM amp/combos or to get a RM4 and use an external poweramp...

One that interests me greatly, is the Atomic MB-50. Its a TINY tube poweramp, that is 50W. Apparently two 6L6s. But it would work really well with a RM4 in a very small rack/enclosure, thats portable for smaller gigs as well as enough power for bigger gigs.

My issue obviously with the RM100, is how huge it is. 33" width is pretty crazy, and the weight sounds pretty massive too. The RM50, while the width is something I could live with, only has 2 module slots unfortunately. Going RM4 with another tube poweramp, such as the RT2/50 or a Carvin T100(which I already have) also makes the combo at 55+ lbs before the rack itself, but with this Atomic, it would be only around 35-40.

Anyone ever use one?

http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-at-reactor.html

What im afraid of, with any external poweramp, is that I wont get as good of a tone as the poweramps made to be used with the modules.. So im a bit nervous, because I found an amazing deal on an RM100 right now but if I could add this MB-50 to a RM4, it'd be much more portable and one more module for versatility, assuming it didnt suck. Even using my Carvin T100 with the RM4, would be much smaller than the RM100, and potentially could use it for like a small blues gig or practicing, which the RM100 wouldnt fit at (I've played small stages where even my Pod X3 couldnt fit on the ground, so size is a premium)

I've also considered the RM22, and maybe if I put the MB-50 behind it on stage, if I could get the preamp out from the RM22 into the MB-50, into a 1x12, that would be a great way to have a small rig with 2 modules at least.

Anyone use one?

I dont know if 20 watts would really be enough, thats really close to pushing it (non-literally).. If it could be bridged, that would be different.

I mean, I kinda think I want a RM22 for the really small gigs or home practicing.. so in that sense, the mesa would be useless/overlapping, but still not enough to cover larger gigs (I do play metal from time to time)

Skyze said:
I dont know if 20 watts would really be enough, thats really close to pushing it (non-literally).. If it could be bridged, that would be different.

I mean, I kinda think I want a RM22 for the really small gigs or home practicing.. so in that sense, the mesa would be useless/overlapping, but still not enough to cover larger gigs (I do play metal from time to time)
That mesa is 20 watts per side. So you can really get 40 watts out of it. Im sure thats not much less than your 50. I have a RM20 the same as a 22 without the extra slot and have had plenty of power when needed. I use a 4x12 when playing with drums and all and have never had a problem being heard. :) Even with metal.

Skyze said:

If you use a 2x12 you could run one side per speaker.
That would give you 2x20 watts, and maybe a bit more width because of the inherent small differences in the two sides of the poweramp/tubesets.
A small 2x12 shouldn't more of a problem than a 1x12..

On the other hand, I run an oversized 2x12 with two racks on it, so I'm not the best guy to comment on portability :lol:

With that Atomic, I'd be worried about the quality of the output transformer (and powertransformer as well for that matter).
Keeping it small and light comes at a price.

Maybe it's fine and will have a nicer sound for you, but I'm almost certain it won't sound the same as an RT2/50 or RM100 (which already don't sound like eachother at all imo.)

Can't you try out the MB-50 somewhere?

I love my Mesa 20/20. It's been plenty loud enough for me and fits nicely into my 4 space rack. I run a RM4, Mesa 20/20, and a G-Major. It makes for a quick,easy setup when you're playing out. Just plug in speaker cabinet, midi pedal, and guitar.

+1 on the Mesa 20/20. This amp is way louder than you think. Last weekend, I was playing an outdoor gig with a 4-piece band that includes another guitar player. My 20/20 was only at about 11 o'clock and I was asked to turn down.

Check out my rig below.

The only thing that would make me wary of the Atomic MB-50 is that
it is described as being designed to be 100 per cent clean audio.
Unless you are looking to amplify a modeling digital signal like a Line6,
the power amp has just as much to do with the total sound as the preamp.
The RT2/50 and similar amps have responses tailored to electric guitar
and have density (bass) and presence (treble) voicing controls to further
enhance the sound through guitar speakers. Also, they are meant to sound good when driven into distortion.

I agree the right power is soooo important. I use an rt 2/50 which was mean to be used with the rm4. And I treid to do it differently (Marshall 8008 power amp, peavey tube power amp etc) and I just wasnt happy with the sounds..
I also has small stage issues, and weight is a concern..
one rack is an rm4, another is the rt2/50..add 1x12 cabs,.,...2 of em and I am set.Its multiple trips to the car, but this works for me.
YMMV.
GtrGeorge
..I never had a mesa power amp,fwiw.

Skyze said:
One that interests me greatly, is the Atomic MB-50. Its a TINY tube poweramp, that is 50W.

Why would you be interested in a mono 50 watt power amp that can't be rackmounted next to your RM4? And that has less tubes and far less of a reputation than a Mesa/Boogie 20/20, 50-50, 2:100 or even a Randall RT2/50?

I don't get it.

Skyze said:
Apparently two 6L6s. But it would work really well with a RM4 in a very small rack/enclosure, thats portable for smaller gigs as well as enough power for bigger gigs.

Based on what? Friends? Players you've seen that use this amp?

Buying ANY piece of gear because it "looks cool" is ridiculous, IMO. Your entire premise is based on conjecture.

If that's the way you go, be sure to buy from a company that allows returns within a specified time frame.

If you plan to use stock modules, you'd be better off purchasing a solid state power amp such as a Carvin instead of some brand new, never before tested "Tube" power amp.

Here's an amp I'd highly recommend for such a scenario:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=DCM200L

The Tube Pre/Solid State power amp was all the rage from the early 80's to the mid-90's and should not be overlooked as an alternative, especially if you want a tight sound and a minimal rack.

If you go the solidstate poweramp take a look at the Rocktron Velocity 300.1 rack space, loud, and gives a nice tube character and good tone as well.

Latest posts