Framus Cobra Tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfshockey

Reaction score
I may be getting my hands on a Framus Cobra head in the near future that needs to be re-tubed completely. Does anyone have any recommendations on pre-amp tubes and power tubes? I'm somewhat of a tube beginner so any suggestions are welcome!

My advice is simply my opinion so please take it with a grain of salt...I'd go with Ruby El34s (Ruby EL34BSTR) for power tubes and Tung Sols for the 12AX7s....You could even get crazy and add a high gain Tung Sol to V1...Or a low gain 5751...JJs are another popular option - I go back and forth on them...Right now Tung Sol is the best value for your dollar...For 5751 JanGe is the best to me...

Thanks for the advice Matt. On the minimal research I've done so far, I have noticed that people like the Ruby EL34s. I'm also interested in KT77s. Almost positive I'll go the 12AX7 route on the pre side of things.

Hi there. The Framus Cobra is what got me off my Randall addiction, and it's my main sound right now :twisted: . It's such an awesome amp, but the lead channel can get noisy. I had JJ EL34's for the power section, but I'm changing them today for the Svetlana Winged C's, which are supposed to be the best for a Cobra (lots of people also like the Ruby EL34's in the Cobra). The preamp is a mix of Tung Sol and JJ gold pin 12AX7, which work out really well for me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Harsh! The trade/transaction for the Cobra is supposed to happen on Saturday and after I get it I will be digging hard into tubes and making my final decision. I'll let you know how it goes!

-Mike

mfshockey said:
Thanks Harsh! The trade/transaction for the Cobra is supposed to happen on Saturday and after I get it I will be digging hard into tubes and making my final decision. I'll let you know how it goes!

-Mike

Sooooooooo, how do ya like it so far?

The deal went through this weekend and now the hunt is on for tubes. It needs a complete overhaul but I'm excited and looking forward to it! :D

Not sure yet, the Cobra just fizzes and is at like 10% volume. The previous owner said it needs to be re-tubed bad so I gotta take it in to get re-tubed and all setup then I will be able to tell. I really wanted this because of the Mamba so I'm hoping it is awesome. I got it at a great deal because of it's need for some TLC.

I'm thinking a quad of Ruby KT88's for the power tubes and Tungsol 12AX7's for pre-amp. How does that sound?!? 8)

Updates? I'm really psyched to hear how it holds up to the Mamba as well :p I wanna get a Mamba, but I also wanna pair it with an Angel and maybe a Loneclean or even one of Pete's clean mods. Ultimately though, I need to figure out what power tube to use for all of them to get consistent, convincing tones out of all 3 (Going for the Nice warm clean, with Cobra Rhythm and Savage leads/alternate rhythm and crunch tones :p). Thinkin on those EHX 6CA7's though...

No updates yet :roll: I dropped the Cobra off last week for cleaning, inspection, etc and should probably have it back by the end of this week or early next week. Still haven't decided on the power tubes yet either :shock: I'll definitely post an update and possibly try to do a video comparison if I get the time.

Cool :D I'd definitely use the same tubes for the module/Power amp as I do for the Cobra if at all possible. Check out the EHX 6CA7's since they're traditionally the bomb :p

I could always ask Peter of The Absence what he used in his Cobra when the band still played them :) Not saying I'd get a response cuz I dunno if he checks his PMs on UG.

Just got word today that my Framus Cobra has been brought to life and ready to return to me loaded Svetlana Winged C tubes. Get ready for a Mamba vs Framus Cobra video in the near future (Mattfig delight!) :D