GTO The Judge George Lynch Module Quick Review!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the fact that the new Lynch box that is hardwired containing the Judge, Scary and grail might be why they are not pushing the lynch stuff right now

gtr31 said:
I think the fact that the new Lynch box that is hardwired containing the Judge, Scary and grail might be why they are not pushing the lynch stuff right now

I did not know this. Interesting and that would indeed be the case (from a marketing perspective) if true.

gtr31 said:
So they're making a "Non-Modular" 3 channel high gain Lynchbox amp?
I'll have to see this at NAMM.

Isn't this just like the Kirk Hammet signature amp?

He also has a hardwired head besides the MTS line..
Doesn't mean that the modules will go away or anything.

I don't remember any Randall "hard-wired" Kirk Hammet model either. I know they made the way expensive hard wood version of Hammet's amp and cab. They also re-badged some of their other amps giving Kirk is own "line" of Randall amps.
I would love to hear a Point to point wired version of the Lynchbox with these preamp designs. I would never buy one, but I'd love to take it for a spin.

audiomidijace said:
I don't remember any Randall "hard-wired" Kirk Hammet model either. I know they made the way expensive hard wood version of Hammet's amp and cab. They also re-badged some of their other amps giving Kirk is own "line" of Randall amps.
I would love to hear a Point to point wired version of the Lynchbox with these preamp designs. I would never buy one, but I'd love to take it for a spin.
My mistake, those are indeed solid-state amps with a KH badge on them ;)
Nothing to do with the MTS range.

Some shop here in the Netherlands advertises for it with the story that it's "based on Kirk's MTS preamp modules"
... not quite so it turns out.

By the way, we said hard wired, as in, not-interchangeable, it will definitly not be handwired/point-to-point.
I think they will do what Bruce basically did with the Rocktron VP4, use the exact MTS base but put the modules in permanently.
Or they will find a cheaper way to produce them by redoing the circuit design.. if so then I await the "the MTS versions are better than hardwired" and vice versa arguments with glee :lol:

m0jo said:
Or they will find a cheaper way to produce them by redoing the circuit design.. if so then I await the "the MTS versions are better than hardwired" and vice versa arguments with glee :lol:

I'll get the popcorn & Coke. Let the drama unfold. :lol:

m0jo said:
By the way, we said hard wired, as in, not-interchangeable, it will definitly not be handwired/point-to-point.
I think they will do what Bruce basically did with the Rocktron VP4, use the exact MTS base but put the modules in permanently.
Or they will find a cheaper way to produce them by redoing the circuit design..
They are probably going to put all of the preamp circuitry on one PCB to save money. Since the KH2 and KH3 are similarly voiced, they may share the same circuit, but with a gain boost.
What is better? Hard-wired or modular. Easy choice: Modular. The gains or losses in sound or feel that are made through either method of manufacture are insignificant in relation to the flexibility that the modular design affords. It is that flexibility that allows the user to change their mind or mod the preamp to taste that overrides any benefits that hard wiring could offer. For me it's a total no-brainer.

Picked up the Judge module today. I've spend about 15-20 minutes with it. My take so far:

- Not as high gain as say, my SL+ or the Scary.
I had the gain pegged and, in either mode, it was not as high gain as my SL+ at 3 o'clock.

- it has a nice Plexi tone, it seems obvious to me it was meant to replace the Brahma. But, also like the Brahma, I think this thing will shine it's best when pushed

- I didn't notice a huge difference in gain between the two modes, mostly tonal curve although the right position seems to have a "touch" more gain. The left position is more bright to me and the side I like the best so far (not overly bright, just brighter compared to the right position). The left seems most like the Brahma to me, all I keep thinking though, jammng in that position is, "Angus Young." Think Dirty Deeds, Back in Black, etc. The right position, seems there is some potential there, but I probably just don't have it dialed in right yet.

- does not have that "big" chunky bottom end, I like from my SL+ (JCM modded)

My ears are really used to the SL+ (Pete modded JCM) so it might take me awhile to get this dialed in right. I've had 14 modules and the SL+ is my fav for high gain rhythm.

Daryl said:
What is better? Hard-wired or modular. Easy choice: Modular. The gains or losses in sound or feel that are made through either method of manufacture are insignificant in relation to the flexibility that the modular design affords. It is that flexibility that allows the user to change their mind or mod the preamp to taste that overrides any benefits that hard wiring could offer. For me it's a total no-brainer.

Agreed.

Julia said:
Hard-wired? whatever. what about a clean channel? I don't see anything about a clean channel.

That's what I wondered and others have made that same comment elsewhere. That's what's so cool about the MTS concept. If it didn't have its advantages, it would have never taken off as a viable concept in the first place, but it did. So why go to a hard wired set-up now? I gave up a great sounding Mesa Tremoverb because there was no "clean" and I almost bought a Mesa Road King several years ago until I found out about the MTS concept.

Caine said:
Picked up the Judge module today. I've spend about 15-20 minutes with it. My take so far:

I had the gain pegged and, in either mode, it was not as high gain as my SL+ at 3 o'clock.

- it has a nice Plexi tone, it seems obvious to me it was meant to replace the Brahma. But, also like the Brahma, I think this thing will shine it's best when pushed

- I didn't notice a huge difference in gain between the two modes, mostly tonal curve although the right position seems to have a "touch" more gain. The left position is more bright to me and the side I like the best so far (not overly bright, just brighter compared to the right position). The left seems most like the Brahma to me, all I keep thinking though, jammng in that position is, "Angus Young." Think Dirty Deeds, Back in Black, etc. The right position, seems there is some potential there, but I probably just don't have it dialed in right yet.

My ears are really used to the SL+ (Pete modded JCM) so it might take me awhile to get this dialed in right. I've had 14 modules and the SL+ is my fav for high gain rhythm.

Interesting. Keep in mind also that it was designed with the thought of George slamming the front end with his Cusak Screamer that he leaves on all the time.

I love my stock SL+ and JF Brahma. Those almost never leave my RM100 unless I am comparing other modules. Maybe the Judge could take the place of two modules in my rig? That would free up an extra space. My new Voodoo UG Jose is quickly becoming my go to lead module. I am still breaking it in though.

eyeball987 said:
Interesting. Keep in mind also that it was designed with the thought of George slamming the front end with his Cusak Screamer that he leaves on all the time.
Yes, I was actually wondering what it would sound like with my Xotic BB pre-amp in front it, just have not tried it yet. My Brahma KICKS *** with that pedal up front.

Caine said:

That sounds like a '77-79 2203/2204 Master Volume Marshall JMP. Friedman's Brown Eye definitely leans towards that voicing although it has at least 25-30% more gain than a stock JMP.

I dont think a hard wired amp is smart..the MTS series allow so much more brand loyalty.
If a guy buys a hard wired amp and decides to play a different genre..he has top sell the entire amp. In MTS we just buy or mod a module..its easy.
I am loyal to Randall because of the MTS series.
GtrGeorge

Mike P said:
Caine said:

That sounds like a '77-79 2203/2204 Master Volume Marshall JMP. Friedman's Brown Eye definitely leans towards that voicing although it has at least 25-30% more gain than a stock JMP.
Sounds like what I was gonna mod my SL+ to :p Gonna try some other modifications before I do that though. (Basically gonna make it a Mr Scary with a switchable tone stack :p)

I DEMAND GUT SHOTS OF THE JUDGE! :D

I just plunked down the cash for 1. Hopefully it will be in the rack on Sat, but probably Monday or Tuesday.

Shinozoku said:
I DEMAND GUT SHOTS OF THE JUDGE! :D

Pic request will only cost you a module or Les Paul Goldtop with P90s. I'm not picky, either or will be fine. Both would be better. :p :lol:

One of my buddies on another forum just got the GTO The Judge from me. His name is Ethan, and he is the guy that posted what I think are really good MTS clips with his new RM22 and SL+. You can check out his videos here, he's a really good player and has built a Metro Plexi kit that sounds really good too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bb3383#g/u

Well, he got the GTO The Judge last week and sent me this review of it the other day.

"Hey Curt,

Thanks for the module! Just tried it out today, and it's really cool! The two switches on this one actually do something and all the tones have been fun to work with here, a lot of variety. There's a '68 Super Lead tone (I say '68 because it's a bit looser, spongier, and more dynamic than the stock Plexi module, which sounds like a Super Lead too, but more like the tighter, brighter '69-75 version), and then flip the mode switch, and there's the slightly more saturated and smooth 80's tone that still has that Marshall bite. Just the right amount of gain too. I agree with you in that I like it better than the SL+, mostly for the little chirps and sag you can coax out of it; it's less "stiff". It's easily my favorite of the bunch right now. Kind of makes the Plexi and SL+ obsolete (never thought I'd say that about a module), so I'll have to pop in either the Ultra XL or XTC and see how they complement each other.

The bright switch is kind of interesting, I think I like it better engaged when the mode switch is off (Plexi mode), but not when the mode switch is on. I would've figured I'd like it on for both modes just given my tastes.

I'll probably put up some vids of it this weekend if I get a free moment. I'm having fun toying with it right now, just need to get my favorite tone dialed in and my chops back up to snuff.
"

He is saying the same thing I said, it is his favorite module of the bunch and like me, he is a Marshall freak.

Cool vids. Tell that cat he can play and I can't wait to hear/see the GTO vid.
Impatiently waiting for my own GTO to arrive.

Latest posts