Here is your NAMM update

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlagdog

Reaction score
Randall put out the NUNO and SCOTT Ian amp and the newest cheap looking Lynchbox in a little tiny corner. For those of you who keep acting like there will be some magical new MTS modules. THE LINE IS DEAD!!! It has been that way since before the Ian modules came out. The last time I checked they were only doing the Ian module now in production for a special order basis. There are no MTS heads ever out on display at NAMM other than the IAN one this year and there wasn't a single one out at NAMM last year. So unless there is some magic going to happen where the company gets sold AGAIN to someone interested in putting money into the Randall amp line it's going to be the same from here on out. Mike Fortin isn't going to make any MTS modules for a head that isn't really in production anymore and he will just make an extremely stripped down Kirk Hammett amp because otherwise the amp will be priced out of anyone buying it. The Meathead Kirk uses is a $5400 head if you want to buy one from Fortin. It sucks the line died about 3 years ago so as long as someone like Salvation and other modders keep making them that will be all we get from a Randall mts line.

Realistically, this isn't an issue. The general community and the modding community have been your support and supply line for MTS for several years. The amount of help, service, support and innovative new products we have provided have GREATLY exceeded anything most manufacturers would ever be able to provide.

The MTS system is not dead, it's just the end of the Randall chapter of it. It won't be the end of the line, just a new beginning.

Jaded Faith said:
Realistically, this isn't an issue. The general community and the modding community have been your support and supply line for MTS for several years. The amount of help, service, support and innovative new products we have provided have GREATLY exceeded anything most manufacturers would ever be able to provide.

The MTS system is not dead, it's just the end of the Randall chapter of it. It won't be the end of the line, just a new beginning.

Rob, is there a pipeline for circuit boards? As long as that's available, the line will never die.

Mike P said:
Jaded Faith said:

Rob, is there a pipeline for circuit boards? As long as that's available, the line will never die.
One issue, copyright and patents.
These circuitboards are pretty easy to make .. the problem is you can't sell them or you'll get your socks sued off by BOTH Egnater and Randall.

Can someone check the expiring date of Bruce's patents? :lol:
Edit: did for funzies, here it is, issued in 2002 + 20 years = 2022 ..

So, is Randall's lease or right to make MTS under the patent over with, or will Bruce or whoever (if anyone) have to buy the right to continue development on the line?

And Rob (and the other modders), I for one and extremely grateful and glad that you are here to support us and the MTS line. I don't think anyone here questions at all that you and the other modders are all the primary reason this line has continued to move forward at all. The concerns that sit at the back of my mind, personally, is that I hope it 1) remains profitable enough for you to be able to continue to not only do the mod work for mods you've already created, but also create new mods; and 2) that nothing (like personal circumstances, supply issues, etc) prevents you from doing the work, or otherwise makes you unable to continue doing the work we value so much.

I hope when the dust settles from this transition that we find the MTS line in capable hands, and with the healthy modding community that we all enjoy and appreciate still thriving and healthy :)

rhequiem said:
I hope when the dust settles from this transition that we find the MTS line in capable hands, and with the healthy modding community that we all enjoy and appreciate still thriving and healthy :)

That dust settled about a year and a half ago minimum. That dust is long gone and put in the trash.

True 'dat hehe But, this is kinda new dust imo, since Randall now appears to be fully out, like on paper and stuff maybe possibly

schlagdog said:
rhequiem said:

That dust settled about a year and a half ago minimum. That dust is long gone and put in the trash.

You know ... that kind of opens it up for others. As long as Randall is hogging the license and f-ing it up .. no progress..

But if that where to be freed up, I'm sure even if Egnater isn't doing anything themselves they'd be glad to cash in on a new liscence with some other company..

I find this to be good news and think MTS is in the incredibly capable hands of the community and it's skilled modders. Even if we run out of supplies this concept will carry on... it's only the beginning.

rhequiem said:
And Rob (and the other modders), I for one and extremely grateful and glad that you are here to support us and the MTS line. I don't think anyone here questions at all that you and the other modders are all the primary reason this line has continued to move forward at all. The concerns that sit at the back of my mind, personally, is that I hope it 1) remains profitable enough for you to be able to continue to not only do the mod work for mods you've already created, but also create new mods; and 2) that nothing (like personal circumstances, supply issues, etc) prevents you from doing the work, or otherwise makes you unable to continue doing the work we value so much.

As long as there is a market for the services, I will offer them. Working with many of you over the past five years has been the most enjoyable "job" I have ever had and that's never lost on me. You allow me to do what I love and for that, I am grateful. Every single day I strive to improve at least one thing, whether that's developing a new product or a revision to an existing one (most of my products are on Revision B-E).

I actually look at this news as an excellent opportunity and believe the community will eventually grow much larger because of it.

schlagdog said:
Also the George Lynch furry amp was basically some George Lynch art more than anything done at the last minute with wet laquer still on it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1/2 the material for this amp came from china star restaurant.

Jaded Faith said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. :wink: To add to that a touch, we need to keep in mind that Bruce has been producing modular gear the whole time and continues to do so. We must not forget about Bruce. This may just be the opportunity he needs to get into production of a mass produced modular platform. Bruce has had great success with his import line of amps and that could very easily translate into the perfect position for a release of modular additions to the Egnater line. Bruce won't let us down. He's been a gem of a guy to me and others, when he really didn't have to. Randall is dead, but modular is just getting warmed up. Bank on it. :wink: Of course we had to wait forever for the disease called Randall to run it's course. And I still want an E2 **** it!! :x

I love my MTS tones and am not going anywhere. I have not been running through modules for about a year now. I seem to have what I like now and am happy.

I will pick up another module or two just to try but my current stable seems to do everything I want and more.

This is exactly what I like to hear, and I'm hoping we continue to gladly send our money your way to help you keep doing what we both love ;) Seriously, to me, this brilliant concept is in yours and Anthony's hands now, who have probably done the most IMO as far as development of new modules. It's too bad Scott had to bow out, but hopefully he gets back in it again soon. We all need you now, more than ever ;) I can't get enough of the 1959RR I got from Cranky, and I'm wanting to try more of your new stuff!

Jaded Faith said:
As long as there is a market for the services, I will offer them. Working with many of you over the past five years has been the most enjoyable "job" I have ever had and that's never lost on me. You allow me to do what I love and for that, I am grateful. Every single day I strive to improve at least one thing, whether that's developing a new product or a revision to an existing one (most of my products are on Revision B-E).

I actually look at this news as an excellent opportunity and believe the community will eventually grow much larger because of it.

I agree that Randall not pushing MTS any further is dissappointing but I don't think they can be bashed for it that much. After all they are in this business to make money and as a company, I can see a number of issues that may have led them no to want to throw more chips on the table.

- In an industry as competitive as the guitar industry is, what you want is standardized products that can allow you optimize production and logistics costs. What the community here wants is basically the exact opposite: Dozens of different modules all produced in small quantities to fit small niches. It doesn't take a lot of time on this forum to realise that hardly anybody has the same idea of what a Marshall Plexi should sound like.

- From a marketing standpoint, the MTS line is also in a tricky position. It aims at copycating famous amps. And let's face it, when faced with the imitation or the original, the average consumer will want a Mesa or a Marshall. Yes, there is no doubt that some modules will sound almost as good, as good or better than some of the amps cloned, but it takes more to overcome a brand value that was built over decades of history, whather the objective facts are. The best way to solve this would have been for Randall to design modules "under licence" so as to be able to stick Fender, Marshall and Mesa logos on their modules. There, they would have been able to appeal to a much wider audience. Famous endorsees were another way and Randall did manage to attach a few good names to the line over the years. But that didn't seem to be enough.

I am not saying Randall have been faultless. Some things could have been better managed. Distribution in Europe was marginal for example, and I don't remember ever seeing some MTS gear in shops in Paris and London. That didn't help. It is also true that Randall has been rather lazy in adding new features to the next generations of modules. I understand that putting as many goodies as Anthony does wasn't an option since pushing up the prices on a product that isn't selling much is not the way to go. However, a few more features per module would have been a good middle ground.

At the end of the day, the MTS was and still is a great concept that for various reasons, failed to be a hit. In the end, most people who used that gear are picky tone snobs (no offense taken, that is how I view myself) who are ready to browse through modules day-in/day-out until they find exactly the right one. The modders are a far better answer to such demands than a regular company can be. And we are really spoilt to have them on our side!

Totally agree with Steven.
Randall is in business to sell amps and no matter how cool a product is, if it's not selling, it won't stick around. I for one am sticking to the line, I love the tones and have yet to find something better and more versatile for the money. I play in a rock band and a country band and need the flexibility that MTS offers. One rack for both bands and I'm set. I don't need multiple combos or heads depending on the gig and that is a big enough reason to make MTS a keeper to me. I still need to check out some modded modules. I think the dumble module and matchless are must haves for me. Long live MTS!

Latest posts