I need some help on my tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorgMetal666

Reaction score
My rig is pretty much done except for trying to sell/trade some stuff so...

Here it is:
RM100KH with KH-1, 1086, and KH-3 and ENGL 4x12 cab with 4 vintage 30s
Guitars: Jackson RR1 loaded with Dimarzio D activators tuned to E standard, ESP LTD FX-400 with Emg81/60 tuned to E flat, and a Jackson JS30 with Emg81/85 wired at 18 volts tuned to C standard.
Effects: 535q crybaby, mxr phase 90, and MXR 10 band eq in the series loop.

All in all I'm alright with that, but the KH-1 seems to add gain when I used my Emg's, especially the 18 volts in c standard. Does the order that my modules are in affect the gain? Would the KH-1 be cleaner in another slot or are the pickups too hot to keep it clean? The passive Dimarzios don't have a problem with it.

Also I wanted to maybe put the EMG 81/81 combo or another active set in my RR1, but I don't want to sacrifice a decent clean tone.

I have also noticed that without my EQ engaged, the modules themselves aren't that clear or particularly good, so does anyone have any settings for either modules for a heavy Metallica ...And Justice for All tone, or a lighter Maiden type tone?

I play metal of course so I was wondering if any little changes would help my tone.

Thanks guys

EDIT: I just realized this probably should be in the Rigs and Tones section, but I was originally just going to ask about the KH-1.

I am with you on just running the stock modules. I guess I "need" to use a BBE sonic maximizer in the loop and run a modded out Boss SD-1 in front of the amp. It gives me a KILLER edge for the OVERALL tone. I have all my modules modded out as well which makes a BIG TIME difference in the tone. I would go with Pete for modding or Dave Friedman. They bring these things TO LIFE! I am a huge 80's Metal player and get a KILLER TONE out of my Lynch box. Just my 2 cents........ 8)

Keep rocking!!

Dan

Mailman1971 said:
I am with you on just running the stock modules. I guess I "need" to use a BBE sonic maximizer in the loop and run a modded out Boss SD-1 in front of the amp. It gives me a KILLER edge for the OVERALL tone. I have all my modules modded out as well which makes a BIG TIME difference in the tone. I would go with Pete for modding or Dave Friedman. They bring these things TO LIFE! I am a huge 80's Metal player and get a KILLER TONE out of my Lynch box. Just my 2 cents........ 8)

Keep rocking!!

Dan

Believe me I would get a mod done, I just don't have the extra cash to do it.

i'd unhook all those pedals and whatnot and go back to nine voltson your pickups and you should be fine, get some kt-88's or jj 6l6's or both and high gain 12ax7's, this amp is pretty easy to dial in so i'd say just start over from scratch and dial it in slow with none of that smoke and mirror stuff and you should be fine-good luck don't give up :twisted:

maximus1 said:
i'd unhook all those pedals and whatnot and go back to nine voltson your pickups and you should be fine, get some kt-88's or jj 6l6's or both and high gain 12ax7's, this amp is pretty easy to dial in so i'd say just start over from scratch and dial it in slow with none of that smoke and mirror stuff and you should be fine-good luck don't give up :twisted:

My amp already has the JJ 6l6 tubes and probably the 12ax7's. I like 18 volts for the distortion, and it's only on my guitar in C standard which I don't normally use cleans on anyway. But my 9 volt guitar tuned to E flat gets some distortion on the clean.

Does the position of the modules affect the tone or gain at all?

Maximus is right.

I recentley went through an epedemic where i almost sold the RM100. I sat down listened to some clips of the MTS series, and read a bunch of reviews, blogs and posts here on the forum.

Went home took all my **** apart (pedals out, effects out, rack **** out.) got to the basics Liked the tone but lacked the bit and chunk i wanted. Discovered that a cab i was using wasnt for me, discoverd one of my rack units was causing major tone sucking bull-ony. Took my Modded EQ and threw it out the window (not really). Put only Vintage 30s in the cabs and a modded TS-9 out front for the missing chunk and bite. And now I have decided the RM100 is staying for good.

Just my input.

And no i do not think it matters which place you put the modules, they all share a common Preamp tube other than that they stand alone from one another.

Sounds like you already have the right ingredients...I vastly prefer 6L6s for metal tones...and the ENGL Vintage Pro is the bomb ;)

Normally I'd suggest an OD out front, but with EMGs..well you're pushing a pretty hot signal already.

I have found that an SD-1 puts an edge on the tone thought, one that's hard to replicate with just pickups and EQ tweaks...robs a little bit of bass (sounds tighter), puts in a hotter signal with a bit more mids and dial the tone gets the high end going.

The overall effect is usually one of more percussive chunk on rhythm and of course it's easier to make the thing sing at low volumes.

I honestly found with the KH-3 that I didn't really need it though....I thought your RR guitar sounded pretty much there with that module...close enough that a minor EQ tweak should fix it.

Did you try running the EQ out front (assuming it's a pedal)...also, is it line level? I found the series loop signal on my RM100 when I had it could easily overdrive my Boss GE-7, which is designed for instrument level.

Won't comment on the 1086, since I don't like it generally...the one I had before (bought from tony/mctallica1) had new production tung-sol tubes and I think I preferred those for that module...at least one in v1 of that module anyway. It made me go from not liking the module to being...OK/indifferent.

JKD said:
Did you try running the EQ out front (assuming it's a pedal)...also, is it line level? I found the series loop signal on my RM100 when I had it could easily overdrive my Boss GE-7, which is designed for instrument level.

I at first had the eq out front, but it didn't seem to give me tweakability I wanted. I only use it on the KH-3/1086, because it makes my clean tone kind a thin. I'm going to try to figure everything out and try different things to find the best sound.

I've gotten some killer tones with the high gain modules, it's just my cleans that need some work. I'm planning on acquiring a decent chorus to give it the occasional lush-type sound.

MorgMetal666 said:
JKD said:

I at first had the eq out front, but it didn't seem to give me tweakability I wanted. I only use it on the KH-3/1086, because it makes my clean tone kind a thin. I'm going to try to figure everything out and try different things to find the best sound.

I've gotten some killer tones with the high gain modules, it's just my cleans that need some work. I'm planning on acquiring a decent chorus to give it the occasional lush-type sound.

Didn't see the issue with the KH1..not sure what to could help that apart from a tube change.

Wondering if you have the 6L6s in the 30-35mV bias range tho?

I got a blackface and had a clean module, and both did this with the emg's. It's the pickups yo. I know that Tung Sol's 12ax7's have a little more head room for gain. Not to sure if that would do it, but there is a mod for this on grailtone's site. Check it out.

I would agree it's the pickups, but I'm sure the KH-1 was made with the fact that Kirk uses EMG's all the time, so the module should handle the EMG's.

Your not the only person i have heard that has this problem. I considered getting rid of the blackface for the KH-1 till I started hearing about the module distorting with EMG's just like the rest of the clean channel modules. It helps when I turn the gain down as low as possible without having a volume differnce with the other modules and having the level all the way up with the blackface. It doesn't completely solve but it helps a little. Maybe this can help a little.

Yeah, I tried adjusting the gain, and it works. I've found it's alright for the most part, but I've never played a blackface to know the difference.

Latest posts