Incoming: 1086

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electric I

Reaction score
Got one of these on the way for my RM20B & from all I've gleaned, the module is the most versatile of all the hi-gainers. Makes sense, considering it has the mid & gain switches.

So - what can I expect from the mod in general?

Does it sound good at lower gain settings? Does it have lots of punch & clarity?

In Randall's description, it says it'll do Plexi tones as well as Rectifier. Since I'm primarily interested in it's Marshall flavor(s), can it pull off AC/DC/Zakk type tones?

Is it suited for solos as well as rhythms?

Can you detail what the switches do, exactly?

Cheers

Electric I said:
Got one of these on the way for my RM20B & from all I've gleaned, the module is the most versatile of all the hi-gainers. Makes sense, considering it has the mid & gain switches.

So - what can I expect from the mod in general?

Does it sound good at lower gain settings? Does it have lots of punch & clarity?

In Randall's description, it says it'll do Plexi tones as well as Rectifier. Since I'm primarily interested in it's Marshall flavor(s), can it pull off AC/DC/Zakk type tones?

Is it suited for solos as well as rhythms?

Can you detail what the switches do, exactly?

Cheers

I really liked mine. It is definitely the most versatile module and if I could only have one module I would choose the 1086.

I got it for the high gain. The mid voice didn't do much for me, although it is tweakable. It gets close to both Marshall and Mesa and to me was more of a combo of the two. It can get good mid gain tones similar to a Plexi. I got rid of mine because I already have a Plexi and Recto (fully modded) and traded it for a SL+, otherwise I probably would've kept it.

It should cover AC/DC and Zakk (BLS tones). It should be good for both lead and rhythm and I think you'll really like it.

Have Fun.
Scott

Yeah.. I'm really looking forward to it. Was *this* close to getting either a Plexi or an SL+, but the versatility of the 1086 is what ultimately sold me.

Good to hear it can do both rhythm/lead tones. I'm hopin' between the 1086 & the RM20's boost function, I'll have what I need.

Thanks a ton for your insight, Scott

it sounds good with a ts-9 out front, for me it gave the extra amount of gain for heavy rythym and leads i needed. its not super gainy like an ultra, think modern mod + xtc mixed with a tad less gain. has good bottom end.

Yeah... up til now I've been using a zoom g2 in front of the Blackface mod, so I have no idea how good a match the built-in boost will be for the 1086. The boost does have separate gain/volume controls so it just may be the thing.

Still, sometimes it's nice to have eq options for lead tones, so I may use a dano finch 'n chimps either in front or in the loop.

Thanks for your input as well.

I tried the 1086 in my rm20b and it sound amazing. For high gain I also tried the ultra and found it didnt sound good in the RM20.

^

Good to hear first-hand experience with the 1086 & RM20. I can't help but think this'll be a great match. I look forward to this combo for being my go-to amp for rock/metal.

Thanks for posting.

No clean needed. The RM20 is designated as my go-to rock/metal amp.

With the Density control this thing has low end in spades & with an Eminence Wizard speaker (103 dB sensitivity) it has more than enough volume to do shows with.

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone.