Is the RM100 right for me

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newAgePunk

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been in to music shops trying different tube heads for quite a while now in the quest for the sound that suits me right now, but with enough versatility to allow for changes in the future. I am not in a position to be buying selling amps every few years so I want something that I can look to the future with.

My main style is metal style punk so I want mids but need the chuggy tight bottom end. I was leaning towards a peavey or even an EVH but then I saw this Randall RM100 in the store with a clean and plexi module installed. I must say the volume and tight bottom end blew me away. The plexi module didn't have the gain that I require, but I think if I threw a TS in front of it, it would come close. But after reading and watching more about this amp, that would not be required.

I currently have a line 6 Pod X3 live which I run into a tube combo (clean channel), so I am seeing this as the logical step up to the same versatility with a full tube set up.

I suppose my questions are.

1. Should I be concerned that the product has been discontinued or is there enough support with custom modules that it will be around in this cult like community for some time?

2. Which module would be best for my described musical flavour? I am thinking I would get two high gain modules with slightly different voicing and then the blackface for clean .. from what I have read it is the best clean

3. Are Randall a good sturdy touring amp which can handle the rigors of live music?

4. Is this a full tube head? (no line 6 style modelling)

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject as I want to move quickly on this.

Thanks

1. I don't know if anyone here can guarantee it, but there may be a future for MTS.

2.Stock or modded? I think you should just check out the amps your favorite players use and get the module based on that amp. Most of the famous amps are covered through mods.

3.I don't tour but I know they can handle it. Breaking Benjamin used them for touring, Sevendust uses them. I am sure other band use them as well.

4.Yes its full tube, you have the tubes in your power amp and the pre amp is a board with pre amp tubes. No digital modeling at all.

Thanks for that info, from what I have read Egnater are keen on keeping something going so that is promising.

I am not really fussed whether the module is stock or modded as I will be buying online anyway. I just want something with a modern Pennywise sort of sound.

Good to know some big bands use them and I see Kirk Hammett and Scott Ian use them.

I am glad there is no tricky little digital modelling applied anywhere.

If anyone else can think of something else I need to consider please let me know.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum and the world of MTS.

These are great amps. They certainly fit the bill for someone like yourself seeking a variety of 100% all-tube tones without the means to buy multiple amps or not willing to flip them constantly. These amps can truly grow with you as you and your needs evolve.

The modding community has done our part to keep the line alive and well on many levels. We have kept the public interested when there was little else going on with the line. We provide new and unique designs and can provide solutions on an individual basis like no manufacturer can.

As the owner of an amp maintenance/repair/mod company (we are an Authorized Randall service center) and gigging musician myself, I can confidently say these amps are fine on the road. I work on amps of all makes and models and the MTS line are no more prone to problems than anything else. I work with many pro artists and working musicians who have used the MTS gear and put it through the paces on tour.

As you noted, there is strong reason to believe Egnater will be carrying the line forward as well.

It's a great community here and I think you will be pleased with your decision should you decide to join us.

Feel free to email should you ever have any questions.

All the best,
Rob

I'm a new convert... And have re homed 3 amps in the last few mos. due to MTS (modular trading syndrome?).

All silly bits aside, for what it's worth, I'm far from being new to gear, and this is the most versatile and fun amp stuff I've found. And LOTS of pros have toured with it. In fact the Smashing Pumpkins just started using mts this year...

Thanks very much for taking the time to give me your thoughts. I have a couple more questions.

1. Why is the rm100 so **** heavy? Actually looking at the transformers I can see why, but why does this head have such large transformers compaired to othe 100 watt heads.

2. Do the modules have a cable which connect them to the main head or are they some other type of connection. I realise they slot into the amp, but not sure how the electrical connection is made. I have tried to find a close up photo of the installation of a module with out success.

3. Do I have to provide a module to be modded or does the modder provide the whole thing ready to slot in?

Thanks again.

newAgePunk said:
Thanks very much for taking the time to give me your thoughts. I have a couple more questions.

1. Why is the rm100 so **** heavy? Actually looking at the transformers I can see why, but why does this head have such large transformers compaired to othe 100 watt heads.

2. Do the modules have a cable which connect them to the main head or are they some other type of connection. I realise they slot into the amp, but not sure how the electrical connection is made. I have tried to find a close up photo of the installation of a module with out success.

3. Do I have to provide a module to be modded or does the modder provide the whole thing ready to slot in?

Thanks again.

1) I don't know, but most tube amps are pretty heavy to begin with, my RM100 isn't really any heavier than any other 100 watter I ever had.
2) They slide into a slot, and the edge of the board on the module snaps into a socket in the amp.
3) Either/or, most of the modders have new "donors" available, or you can send yours in. Usually cheaper to find a used donor.

You can see the gold "connector" on the module here....

bc20c19ff14cd33a6cf77e7c49da58ee.jpg

And the sockets or "slots" on this RM1250 here, the blue things on the green board....
819b6d91c1bcb56423670005752803ed.jpg

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the info and helping me choose this beast as my next and first purchase of a full tube rig, where I hopefully only need one guitar lead ... well I still may have the tube screamer handy.

cheers

Have no fear with pedals. Think of the modules as the actual amp, and if you'd use a ts in front of a Rockerverb, then you'd use it in front of a Stoververb module.

Ive been playing out regularly and recording with my MTS amps for over 3 years now and I bought both my RM50 head and combo used to boot. They were a few years old when I got them. Never had any issues I do change out my power tubes every 1 1/2 years though.they get some heavy use sometimes. Because of Jaded Faith and a few other modders these guys have taken the good basic stock tones and brought them into high end boutique amp tone territory without having to trade amps all the time and lose big $$ doing it. Where else could you buy one amp head and get great Marshall Vox fender Dumble orange mesa Engl vht ect ect tones from 1 amp.... I had a serious. GAS issue with amps ... no more... maybe a bit with wanting more modules.....best amp I have owned in many years. And the folks here are just the best! !!!

Agreed, I don't think you can go wrong. If the stock modules, of which there are many, doesn't do it for you the modders can get you what you want. $10 to ship a module compared to $50+ for other amps to get modded seems like a no-brainer to me. And if you are like many of us that crave multiple tones, you can always have 5, 10, 20+ "amps" in waiting without killing the bank account or taking up serious amounts of space.

Well I got one. An RM100 second hand (eBay) but has just been re-tubed with "svetlana electron devices EL34" tubes. The head is in mint condition to look at and comes with three stock modules Recto, Plexi and Ultra Lead. It is late here in Australia and my kids are asleep so I don't think it would go down well if I plugged it in and tested it out right now, but I will do so tomorrow morning.

Which brings me to my next line of questioning. I have only owned combo's so my test tomorrow will take place on a 16 ohm single 12" speaker of no noted brand which will be purely to test that the amp is not a dudd. I now have to find a cabinet. Now my budget was not huge to start with and as most of you are no doubt aware, we tend to pay through the nose for things down under, so there isn't a lot left after buying the head. There certainly won't be anything left for a modded module at the moment, so I think my cabinet choice will be important at this stage. I need the fat, yet tight bottom end with mids that will still cut through. Can I get some recommendations of cabinet speakers, brands combinations to maybe look for?

Another thing is that the head did not come with the factory footswitch. No big deal .. right? I know nothing about midi. What is a good simple foot switch option for me to search for which I can just plug in and switch channels. I have noticed there are not many of the factory ones around.

Thanks

newAgePunk said:
Can I get some recommendations of cabinet speakers, brands combinations to maybe look for?

Another thing is that the head did not come with the factory footswitch. No big deal .. right? I know nothing about midi. What is a good simple foot switch option for me to search for which I can just plug in and switch channels. I have noticed there are not many of the factory ones around.

Thanks

for cheap secondhand cabs, keep an eye out for Marshall, Laney, Peavey, Randall.

if you don't have some kind of midi switch lying around, you'll want the Randall footswitch. You will not be able to make do with a cheap latching footswitch - you won't be able to plug it in. Need midi.

You can still change channels from the front of the amp until you get a footswitch. Not ideal, but the amp is fully functional without a footswitch

Once again thanks for the input, it goes a long way to heling me make decisions.

Ok so what would people choose out of the following.

1. Randall RA412CV New $1150
2. Randall RA412XLT New $1200
3. Orange ppc 4x12 Second Hand $1000

Remember this is in Australia, so if the prices look high to you guys in other countries, that's just the way things are here.

My understanding is they all have Vintage 30's.

The only one I have been able to hear with my head is the RA412CV and I liked what I heard.

Cheers

I'd go for the Orange. If possible, check out Bogner 4x12. I used to own one and regret selling it at times, as it was simply the best 4x12 I've ever heard.

Randall cabs seem nice from my limited experience, but no way would I ever pay more for a new Randall than a used Orange.

I have an Orange 412 and I absolutely love it. I've owned quite a few cabs in my time and it's overall my favourite. It just sounds big. (mine is straight, not slanted).

if money is tight, you can get something good for way better than $1000 by looking at secondhand cabs. There's a dude selling a Framus Dragon cab loaded with v30s on Aus Ebay for $700 right now.

the difference will leave you plenty to get the Randall footswitch

Latest posts