JF OD Special

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
I have a bunch of MTS modules. Some have been modded and some stock. They all fall into three main categories: Fenderish, Marshallesque and Mesalike. They are all great with subtle differences. However the OD Special is to me the most unique. I don't know how to begin to describe it. Organic sounds too new age-y, warm makes it sound too soft...It is my favorite of all the mods. It helps me play more musically as it seems to connect the notes and it responds to the most subtle pick and finger attacks like it is thinking with me. I have never played a Dumble, but if they are like this, I can see why people would pay so much for them. Not a metal style preamp for sure. Kind of like Robben Ford meets Eric Johnson Tone-wise....really smooth.
Thanks Rob. You have made this recovering tone junkie a happy camper.
ricky

Hopefully I will get around to it soon. I feel somewhat intimidated by what I hear others on this forum play....

ricky said:
Hopefully I will get around to it soon. I feel somewhat intimidated by what I hear others on this forum play....

I should post some clips to make you feel less intimidated. :lol:

JD said:
Nobody gets judged on this forum. It's all about tone!

There is a lot less judging on this forum than most, that's for sure.

drewiv said:
ricky said:

Ha...I was just thinking the same thing....no judgement here at all.

You're WRONG and just absolutely WRONG for saying that!

Just kidding! ;) Would love to hear some more clips of the OD Special, though! I'm thinking this is a mod I have to try, even though it's a little outside my typical "thang", as it were

JayDA said:
drewiv said:
ricky said:

Ha...I was just thinking the same thing....no judgement here at all.

For me the ODS was an unusual module; sometimes I would dig it and other times I found it to have a honky funky mid range that was just weird. It did sound very cutting (and good) in a mix during lead work but on its own, I wasn?t vibing with it (which I guess shouldn?t matter).

Mine was a rev B and I?m sure I could have had Rob tweak it to my liking (rev M) but I just moved on.

One thing for sure is that module was louder than any other I have; I?d have to keep the master at about 9:00 compared to the others being set around 11-12:00. It did have a great harmonic quality to it where sustained notes would softly feedback into a harmony. I like that. I think I miss it now.

"It did have a great harmonic quality to it where sustained notes would softly feedback into a harmony. I like that. I think I miss it now."

These modules are like guitars in that they are like ex girlfriends. They all have their good points and there are qualities that I like and I miss them when they are gone. I usually hang on to old gear b/c when I pick them up it is like renewing an old relationship except that they never mouth off to me.

I am curious where the word "Rev" comes from in relation to the Dumble stuff. I also notice that I have a mid switch on mine that can turn that mid honk on or off. It says in Rob's blurb that it is for a more jazz voicing. Maybe like a more fusion-y voicing, but not a traditional L5 mellow tone. With that mid honk in or out it gives a lot of cool tonal possibilities.
And yes, that sucker is LOUD.

ricky said:
These modules are like guitars in that they are like ex girlfriends.

So true! Like ditching your hot girlfriend that you have great sex with for a seemingly hotter girlfriend but the sex is not so good and now you kinda want to get back with the old one but the whole ordeal has made her gain weight so she not as hot as she was... kinda thing...

Actually, to carry this analogy further, getting your OD Special back would be like getting your old girlfriend back to have sex and she hasn't gained any weight and looks great and the new girl friend is perfectly OK with it. God I love being a musician.
ricky

MarcoR said:
For me the ODS was an unusual module; sometimes I would dig it and other times I found it to have a honky funky mid range that was just weird. It did sound very cutting (and good) in a mix during lead work but on its own, I wasn?t vibing with it (which I guess shouldn?t matter).

Mine was a rev B and I?m sure I could have had Rob tweak it to my liking (rev M) but I just moved on.

One thing for sure is that module was louder than any other I have; I?d have to keep the master at about 9:00 compared to the others being set around 11-12:00. It did have a great harmonic quality to it where sustained notes would softly feedback into a harmony. I like that. I think I miss it now.

I have the same experience with it. That's why I use it in combination with another module, and just kick it in for solos.

Although even with the mids pulled back and switch off, it still has some funkiness. But, for that style that this mod gets, I love. Something about it just screams searing solo.

ricky said:
I am curious where the word "Rev" comes from in relation to the Dumble stuff.
Rev is just short for revision. Not specific to the Dumble stuff.

ricky said:
I also notice that I have a mid switch on mine that can turn that mid honk on or off. It says in Rob's blurb that it is for a more jazz voicing. Maybe like a more fusion-y voicing, but not a traditional L5 mellow tone.

It's to replicate the Jazz/Rock switch on the OD Special. So "Jazz" isn't Rob's wording, it's the name of that option on the original amp.

Let's get some sound samples posted. I've heard everything on Rob's site but let's get some more out there!

ricky said:
These modules are like guitars in that they are like ex girlfriends.

I've sold a bunch of modules lately and I'm having severe anxiety about it. I have an unhealthy emotional attachment to these little things. :D

The ODS.... I ordered mine, thinking it would sound somewhere in between an Egnater COD and a fender with a tubescreamer in front of it. I thought it would be good for pumping fuzz pedals through.

...I thought wrong. I don't like the way boosts or fuzz sound through it. and its doesn't exactly sound like an overdriven fender.

For me, I'm getting a rhythm tone that's in between Journey's "Lights" and some of the pop John Mayer plays. If I crank the drive and EQ it the right way, I can give it a Marshall vibe.

For whatever reason, I'm using it as a solo tone. It's loud and clear and just articulate enough. Somehow, it feels right.

I have yet to play a module that sounds and feels like a JF ODS.

Latest posts