JF Trilogy Thoughts - Almost made a HUGE mistake!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
schismatic said:
Very interested in this little mod!

Until I fixed a major issue preventing my RM20 from working earlier this evening, I had thought it was dead and had been eyeing up new amps. I play a lot of metal (think Machine Head type stuff) and I had something 5150/6505 flavoured in mind (was actually considering the Bugera 6262 Infinium heads)

....anyway cut a long story short, I'd love to be able to get a typical 5150/6505 sound through my RM20 as I really love the MTS system, particularly the fundamental approach that Bruce's idea takes to modularising the amp experience in this way.

I've read the thread so far, and understand that patience is needed in terms of dialling in the tone, but essentially what I am asking is: will the Trilogy get me into 5150/6505 territory? Would this be a shrewder investment long-term than a new amp?

EL84s will not sound like bigger tubes such as EL34 and 6L6. At low volumes they might sound similar but not enough to hang with a 6505.

Some people LOVE them so don't let me discourage you. They are a great concept and work for many users. I run my stuff on the loud and deep side, so they don't work for me.

LoD21 said:
Had an awesome time last time. I just woke up. Is it bad i was dreaming about which module I need next after checking out Matt's rack of doom? Not to mention it looks like i need to try a couple new OD pedals as well.

And for the cats on here wondering how I can play with so much gain....you ain't see nothin til you plug into one of Fig's 7 rigs that all have OD pedals in front of them. And holy sh!t you want to talk about loud. I wish my neighbor would let me pull that one off. It's really interesting though hearing my modules on someone else's rig. Really adds perspective.

Pretty cool to hang and talk gear with like minded guys like Bill and Matt that really know their stuff. Looking forward to doing it again very soon.Thanks for the hospitality brutha!
I'll echo the good times claims here. Cool dudes to hang with, and the Rack of Doom/Rack of Delight was a sight to behold. It also sounds amazing.

The extreme high gain was handled quite professionally, in case anyone was concerned for our health. Judicious use of drop D heaviness abounded. Sean was a beast on that Goldtop.

Thanks for hosting, Fig!

I've just spend my inaugural evening with my EV Trilogy, and I've gotta thank you for posting this thread. At first I felt like it lacked oomph compared to my SacredGroove XTC and Diablo. Thanks to this thread, though, I decided to try some wacky EQ settings, and found my way to a devastating tone. My favorite so far has been to set the I/II/III toggle to I, use the normal tightness and unscooped voice, put it in lead mode, and use the following knob settings:

Gain: 4
Bass: 7
Mid: 3
Treble: 4.5
Mid sweep: about 9:00

These are settings I would ordinarily never bother to try, because I don't like a lot of low end in my tone, and I love mids. On this module, though, this is just what you've gotta do. Very unusual.

Congrats on a great module!

Glad it helped. We have been the fortunate recipients of great info sharing from others on the forum here as well.

We favor the "I" and "lead" settings as well and in that position our mids and sweep are about the same.

Gain:8
Switch: Tight or normal depending on tune
Low: 9
Mids: 2.5
Sweep: 9 oclock
Treble: 4.5
Voice Switch: Scooped

I should also mention since someone pointed it out, we tune pretty low (Drop C) so this could obviously impact how we tune the amps etc...

This was a great post and there is some really good info swirling around in here. The Trilogy is an absolute best and does many different things. You absolutely have to dial it in by ear and not with your eyes because it's very unorthodox with respect to most modules you have ever used. The Mids legitimately go to "20" on this module and you have to dial it in accordingly. On top of that, there are so many options it's stunning. Once you wrap your head around all of them and how they impact each other it's a powerful weapon in the arsenal.

Latest posts