Just curious where you guys run presence on your amps?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
From an old thread: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=81925&sid=57898259392410b8c1ad15d0c49f6f3f

Seems like this might be why we all have differences with regards to the modules we like and what we think they lack. I am constantly looking for more cut, prob. because the sweep in my presence doesn't come on till later. I run my presence at 3 pm.. i have to or it is blanket city. Density runs at 11 or 12. EL34's, Lynchbox100.

How about you guys running RM20 or 22's and RM4's, where is the sweep for you? Could it be that they used linear pots in some rather than others thus contributing to a more drastic sweep later vs. gradually? Very interested in what you guys notice. The JF SLO for example is a bit boomy on my amp in the low end.. on Fig's it seems perfect. These differences might also be why we see so many modules flipping hands.. i'd love to pick up a used rm4 just to compare at some point but for now i will have to rely on your ears and experiences.

I'm using a Randall RM100 head with Ruby 6L6's, ARS Tubes in V1 & V2 and an Electro Harmonix in the PI.

I run the Presence at about 10.5 O'clock with the Density at 10 O'clock.

If I were you, I'd contact Randall and ask them about the Presence & Density boards in the Lynchbox to find out if they differ in any way from the RM100's. If not, ask for a replacement board.

If that doesn't solve your issue, try 6L6's.

I run the presence at minimum! Or at most 9 o clock.
No problem with cutting through at all, 6L6 or 6CA7 or EL34.. all fine.

This is with an RT2/50 (and RM4). The RT2/50 has EHx 6CA7s and TAD 6L6s.

Do you have semi-fresh tubes in there? I can't really see that causing it, but maybe they are 2 years old, you never know ;)

I run my presence around noon and my density around 10 oclock on my RM1OO WITH 6L6/KT88'S....seems to give a more flat response and works well wit most modules

Thanks for the info guys... As for tubes, all fresh a few months ago. It has always responded the same way.

Presence at 10 or 11...Density at 10 or 11.... Never higher for Presence or its ear piercing.

On both RM50 combo's I had the pres had to be way up and they still sounded dark, muddy, and with little cut. Both RM100's were completely different. I never turn the pres past 11:00.

Interesting... someone was kind enough to hook me up with a contact in Randall so I'll get back to you guys with whatever I figure out. I think i'll crack my amp open tonight and unearth this mystery for myself as well. We'll go from there.

I will however add that at 3 pm the presence is good... past 4 , icepick begins so my sweet spot is really short. More gradual (which i suspect is what you guys have) would be much better.

eyeball987 said:
On both RM50 combo's I had the pres had to be way up and they still sounded dark, muddy, and with little cut. Both RM100's were completely different. I never turn the pres past 11:00.

I run both of my RM50Cs (KT88s in one, 6550s in the other) with the presence nearly wide open, and the density at around 9 o'clock. Otherwise, it's a sonic mudbath.

I guess I am one of the few folks here with an RM100 that also runs his presence up pretty high. I run it at about 2:00.

I guess we're birds of the same feather guys! I guarantee that there were two diff POT types loaded into the presence board. Linear and Audio.

as i posted previously...i run the presence at max most times (i use an RM80). Anywhere before 3 o'clock is hollow and lifeless. This really doesn't bother me b/c i like the tone with the presence really high. For the longest time i had it at like 10-11 o'clock but once i turned it up to 3 i noticed that the difference is like night and day. I'm sure changing a resistor or capacitor value would change that but i don't see any reason to do that at this point.

Presence around 9:30. Density around noon. I also have the bass set pretty low on the modules. Highs make me feel sick.

RM22 (EL84) into oversized 1X12. Density is usually between 2-3:00 PM depending on module, presence is usually between 2:00-3:30 PM. No ice pickiness unless I over crank the highs on the modules.