Kemper profiler amp

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cameron711

Reaction score
anyone have experience with these, i love versatility and that's why i love egnater mod series stuff, but this seems fun for at home/studio work. thoughts?

I think fun is the appropriate term...They seem very cool and very ground breaking...But I think I'd wait until it went through a few revisions and the existing kinks get worked out...I don't think I'd ever use it army go-to setup but I can see me using one in the studio down the line...

1800 or so ain't bad for what you get right now though...Seems pretty cool and some models sound fab....Still not all the way there though...

Let us know if you get one...I'd love to hear an independent review...

Ordered from Sweetwater! Will put up some thoughts when she gets here...they made sure to emphasize its not a modeler but a profile that captures a snapshot of an amp...meaning you can probably create tons of settings of the same as different profiles...we'll see, key point is 30 day return policy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StzA_sGhO8I
Cool video.
Curious to hear how it feels/sounds to you. Would love to try one someday.

cameron711 said:
Ordered from Sweetwater! Will put up some thoughts when she gets here...they made sure to emphasize its not a modeler but a profile that captures a snapshot of an amp...meaning you can probably create tons of settings of the same as different profiles...we'll see, key point is 30 day return policy :)

Awesome....Can't wait to hear an honest review...Not that the others weren't but it simply can't be as great or transparent as the demos suggest....Or could they be?

Wookieslayer said:
I'd be more tempted to save up for one if it came in rack format :p

They have said it is already "done," but that it will be a bit before they make them available (retail). Found that on the Kemper forum.

Do they make models available as well? Or do you have to make your own? I'm assuming they must make some templates or something...How exactly does that work? Can you download a Mesa Single Recto from 1995?

The KPA uses KPA profiles, and can create them as well.

Basically.. very basically.. it "shoots a profile." The profile is made by mic'ing a cab fed by *your amp*. It utilizes various test tones, does some processing, and then the player can fine tune it (or not) by playing through the rig and the Kemper; the KPA then "senses what needs to be adjusted."

It is grabbing an IR (sort of), and also grabbing the time variant, non-linear bits during the "profiling." You choose whether you will be profiling a clean or overdriven rig, then profile it.

There are thousands of profiles online now, and the unit comes with a good number of them. Their forum is pretty active.

nikki-k said:
Wookieslayer said:
I'd be more tempted to save up for one if it came in rack format :p

They have said it is already "done," but that it will be a bit before they make them available (retail). Found that on the Kemper forum.

very cool. If all goes as planned, I will save up and buy one maybe next year 8)

I've had mine for three weeks now, and I must say it has exceeded my expectations. It especially profiles tube amps and high gain amps very well.

Rumors are that a Foot controller, power amp, and rack version will be available at some point. (Kemper is kind of tight-lipped).

The profiles are numerous, already ~1500 amp/cabinet/even pedal profiles uploaded for custom rig-building. Many of the members, especially a guy named Tills, does very profesionally sounding profiles. Kemper also just released their first profile pack this week in addition to 200 or so profiles that come with the amp. It looks like there will be more rig pack releases by Kemper.

I (hope and) expect tone matching, a la Fractal, will be in the works since this thing is a Profiler. The KPA really needs a PC editor though! Editing the names is tedious through the unit.

You can really do some deep tweaking/editing of these rigs. It's pretty amazing and easy to use- simulated power sagging, adjust the way your preamp distorts, tube shape, adjust the character of your cabinet..... the amount of detail is ridiculous!

I'm very happy that I made this purchase, and wanted to recommend American Music Supply where I got 10% off.