KT66 Tubes in MOD50, voltage/current draw ok?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegyver

Reaction score
I'm an EL34 guy and have been wanting to try KT66 tubes because I've heard good things about their tone.

According to this article, they may put draw excessive voltages or current and some transformers might not handle that.

http://www.thetubestore.com/KT66-Tube-Review

Can the MOD 50 handle any brand of KT66? If so, where should they be biased at?

If it's a close call I'll just stick with my EL34s

I think they should be able to handle those but someone with Mod100 or Mod 50 might know for sure- I only have the Randall RM100's so speaking from that end- Those amps can handle any tube. I've run KT88's/6550's/6l6/EL34's with no issues. Also run them in matched pairs. I thought the Egnater stuff was the same setup? Anyway, if the amps are essentially the same and a Mod 50 could handle KT88's, then it would certainly be able to handle KT66's.

Thanks for the reply, I am pretty sure the Mod 50 and RM 50 are essentially the same thing, each electronically equivalent from what I hear.

The reason I was asking because the manual doesn't mention KT66s anywhere, but mentions EL34/6L6/6V6/KT88s.

I never knew how KT66/77/88s compare in their demands from the transformer.

Anybody have a clue where to bias them? From what I hear, 30-35mv is probably good.

Here's an old thread on KT66's.... One suggestion was 35ma

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=82244&sid=1712c044557cb7c5ca79ef814cf88e0e

Treat them as 6L6's when it comes to bias. Have no concerns about current. EL34's and KT88's are far worse in that department and many of us run those safely all day.

I ran KT66 'S in my 2 RM50'S for 2 years. No issues. Biased them to 35 ma each. I use the Gold Lion reissues that really are a great tube....

If the PT can handle EL34s it can handle KT66s as these draw slightly less heater current. As for bias: treat these as 30W 6L6GCs for best sound. If biased cold they will sound hard and edgy, so they need a little heat to soften up and sound their best. Remeber these were down-rated when they didn't hold up so well in amps with high plate voltage (think JTM 45/100s).