RM100 tube questions... and stuff

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've had my RM100 for about two years and it's still stock. It's the first tube amp I've owned and I like the versatility but can't get the tone I want. In cruising these forums, I see alot of folks swapping out the tubes in the amp and modules too? as they search for their tone. and I'm wondering if a tube change would help me narrow things down.

Hell, I'm not even positive which tubes are currently in my amp.(I'm gonna go out and check here in a minute)

I do know that I can't seem to get the tone I want, or the harmonics I want, no matter how I tweak the controls. It's like something is holding the amp back. I biased the amp a little hotter a few months ago, but ended up putting it back where it was. I also got a Weber attenuator which helped a wee bit, but still..... it ain't there. Currently, I've got my Master volume dimed, and adjust the volume on the attenuator and modules to suit. It seems to help it break up better, but still lacks the 'vitality' I'm lookin' for. I think I'm gonna take that attenuator off today and go back to square one. Anyone else here use an attenuator? Am I all wet in trying to utilize one?

I've even tried different brands of instrument cables, changed pickups in some of my guitars, etc. Now I hear about you guys changing tubes and modding amps... and I'm wondering if I've just been looking in the wrong place for my tone.

Some of the clips I've heard on here sound alot more like what I'd like my amp to sound like... alive with screamin' full bodied tone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... like what tubes to possibly change. Which ones to try?

Here's some general setup info...

I currently have Blackface, XTC, 1086 in there. I don't like the XTC and generally don't use it... sounds like it's under a pillow. I boost the Blackface with a blues driver trying to get SRV tone and use the 1086 for evertying else. I sent Pete my Plexi and am anxiously awaiting its return.

I have coming... Tweed, PetePlexi, PeteSlodano. I have high hopes they'll help me in my quest. Maybe I should wait until I get/try them before I make any further decisions?

I play a wide range of styles including texas blues, southern, classic and hard rock and some metal. I have a couple strats, but mostly play hot passive humbuckers(which I coil split for SRV) and one guitar with SD Blackouts.

I play through a Carvin 4x12 with Celestion V-30's.

It's hard to describe tone, or, what I feel I'm missing in my tone... but it seems like I'm missing something vital when I hear some of the clips on here. Like my amp is lacking life, isn't as robust as it could be, or has a touch of a cold... like it's missing the most brilliant color or two of the spectrum. I want that slap you in the face, kickass best ***-chewin' ya ever got kind of attention grabbin' tone when I need it.

How do I get it?

Ok, I just checked my tubes. Here's what I have that I can see.

JJ E 34 L's
Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 EH in the other three positions of the amp

Blackface - Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 EH
XTC - Eden 7025
1086 - JJ ECC 83 S

Any thoughts?

p.s. What are the positions of the tubes called. I've seen folks referencing V1 - V2 or whatever?

I know tone is subjective and elusive, but I'd appreciate any help at all

Thanks

Hey !
I didn?t like the E34Ls alone in my amp.
Put some 6L6 on the outside.
I liked that much better !
This should work.

The mods you get will do a lot, too.

I have a carvin legacy 4x12 with V30?s, too.
Great cabinet !!!

Cheers, Sascha

So you're a blues rocker? Module settings? Density, Presence settings?

So here's the list of things to change tone in order of what will make the most difference without resorting to pedals:

1. Speakers -- these will make the most difference. Vintage 30s are a great standard for heavy rock, but can be harsh and ice picky with single coils and don't seem to be the best for blues rock. Celestion Greenbacks seem to be better suited for this application as well as some of the Eminence speakers. The advantage of the Greenbacks is that they breakup earlier than the Vintage 30s so you can get a "creamy" tone at a lower volume. They're also rated at 97 dB at 1W vs 100 dB for the V30s. think Angus Young and Jimi Hendrix for Greenbacks. Some Bogner cabs use a X pattern with two V30s and two Greenbacks.

2. Cabinet -- an oversize cab like a Mesa or Orange will have more punch than a Marshall sized cab. Closed back more punch than open back, but open back can be better if you've got a good room because they're less focused.

3. Pickups and pre amplifier EQ. These of course change the shape of the waveform coming into the amp and emphasize different harmonics.

4. Power tubes -- once you've got the rest set here's the next area of most effect since these are closest to the speaker and amplify the final shape of the signal. NOS is best if you're making $$$$: $800 for a quad is not my idea of fun.

5. Preamp tubes -- these will give you more or less of what's already there. You basically can add more gain with higher gain or clarity with lower gain tubes. People can get into cork sniffing on these, and yes, they do make a difference. NOS is best if you're making $$$$ -- depending upon the tube they can range from $20 to $400. You can score big with some ANOS (tested used tubes) depending upon from whom you buy -- I'd recommend KCA NOS Tubes or Doug's tubes for NOS stuff. Doug's for regular stuff too.

6. Guitar wood -- more effect with singles than with active humbuckers.

7. Cables -- if you've got a good shielded cable you're fine. Gold plated plugs are a waste of money and gold. You can make very high quality cables yourself for under $20 per 15' including the plugs.

I really don't think you need an attenuator with this amp. They work best for non-master amps and for silent recording.

Most recordings you hear are not done with the amps dimed out like that. I'm real gun shy about power tube distortion since this can cause tube failures, and I've had more than my share even without cranking an amp that high. Tubes aren't what they used to be. Don't risk the amp.

It's really difficult to go by soundclips.... if the cab is miked, the microphone has it's own characteristics, the position of the mic can make a huge difference, as well as the guitar and guitar pickups, the ambient temperature in St. Petersburg, how much vodka has been consumed, the phase of teh moon, and how the planets are aligned (and I'm convinced these last four are most important in determining tube quality).

You might try lowering the density and presence a bit. And maybe running a graphic EQ in front of the amp -- EQ trumps all.

The clips I've heard of the stock XTC I didn't like. It's too scooped. I think it needs more mids. Try turning up the mids.

So since you're playing the SRV tone I'm assuming you've got a strat? and single coils? If so there's a lot you can do.....

With what you've got: try the Strat again but use the neck and middle pickups together. Continue to use the Blues Driver with it on your Blackface. I think you'll find this closer to SRV.

Then there's these:

http://www.skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_screwdriver_deluxe.htm also available through Cowtown Guitars if you don't want to wait the 5 months. Cowtown has them in stock. Ask them if they even have one Mayo in stock. It's Cherub Rock in a box.... seriously. It's a discontinued model due to lack of NOS and magic fairy dust transistors. Marc doesn't change sources, he discontinues them. I've got the Screwdriver and it's a good one.

Keeley Java Boost... I use one of these with my Brahma to get the 70s Black Sabbath Iommi tone. Also with singles for Trower. It's almost a must with a single coil guitar.

Fulltone Octafuzz or Fender Blender -- Trower used to use a Fender Blender, but switched to all Fulltone stuff recently. Might try a Fulltone OCD too. On an already overdriven amp you just keep the drive on these things around 9:00. Fender recently reissued the Fender Blender. The Octafuzz is based on Hendrix's Octavia but has a switch so you can turn the octave on or off. Batteries only on the Octafuzz unless you've got a positive ground power supply.

You've got a Blues Driver which you actually could use with very little drive on your XTC and probably tighten up that, and make it cut through better.

I got some ideas for using these things from the Andy Sneap forum on 5150s. tried them out and they do work.

Very informative. Thank you. I'm going to go down through your list and see what I can do.

I think you should try some different speakers...I tried my Scumbacks, both the H75's and M55's with my Lynchbox, and they just didn't cut it...they work great with my Tourmaster, but that's a different amp...Then I plugged the Lynchbox into a WGS et65 SPEAKER..wwhhooaa....AMAZING...THAT'S THE TONE...also try changing out different brands of preamp tubes in the modules....really changes the tone and feel...also, I had a Bad Cat LEASH ATTENUATER ON MINE, AND IT JUST MADE THE AMP SOUND BUZZY WHEN SET TO LOW.....only attenuate a little, after that, it affects the tone and feel to much

Speaker is the key!

gearmandude demo of skreddy screwdriver (super, because save my money :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P36tpssi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD-XvajIYIo

PS: I?m just working on "SRV clip" using salvation?s Salvado with srv mod

I forgot to ask a critical question:

How loud are you playing the amp? Since you mention "attenuator" I wonder about how much air you're moving?

* Are you playing at gig volumes?
* fairly loud
* or do you have to play at maybe garbage disposal sound levels?
* or at bedroom levels?

All these will affect the tone. At bedroom levels I'd go with a speaker that has early breakup, but you've got to be careful about overpowering them if you decide to play loud. Low wattage speakers with early breakup are a great way to get some added warmth and tone at low volume levels.

Basically if you've got a 100W amp you can get away with a 412 with four 25W rated speakers. Chances of pushing them to the point of blowing are pretty slim unless you're playing in a large club.

Also, turn your FX Level knob all the way up. I got my amp (first tube amp as well :D) and thought it sounded great, but it sounded a little small to me, so I started playing with my knobs and found that the FX Level added some girth and body to the tone. And get that XTC modded!

Latest posts