Love the KH-2 but want a JH

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6string

Reaction score
I really like my KH-2 that I just got. Its a great module for leads as it should be since its a Kirk Hammett module but I was also hoping to get some of that Hetfield tone out of it but I cant. The KH just isnt "thick" enough. Anyone have any suggestions as to a module that would get me close to that high gain wall of sound? I know Hetfield used a Mark IV and saw the Gigmods clip on 'tube for the mark module but I dont know if thats "it"

Hetfield used a Mark IIC+. Gigmods Mark is based on Pete's Mesa Studio preamp so that is the module that is going to get you the closest.

The "thick wall of sound" is just that- stacks of amps and 4x12s!

But for us mere mortals, that stock KH2 with a high quality ESP or Gibson should get you the Metallica rhythm crunch- especially with a clean boost for added edge

I've pretty much spent my entire guitar playing life trying to get my setup to sound like James's, not because i wanted to rip him off, I just loved his guitar tones. and that exactly what I'm going to get too is tone"S" what sound are you looking for?

I can pretty much nail
Justice with the SL+ with a overdrive pedal for some more treble /sustain and gain

Puppets with the same setup just using a bit more bass and less treble

Load and reload the XTC with a BBE does nicely

st anger - just use any distortion pedal and kick all your speakers in so there no more good and you'll nail that tone (sorry I just had to say it :)

Death magnetic the Treadplate does great with the BBE

oh and kill em all I use a Boss MT-2

Ride the lightning same thing Boss MT-2 with some reverb

hope that helps a bit, send me a PM if you want some settings

Later

slashnstrings said:
I've pretty much spent my entire guitar playing life trying to get my setup to sound like James's, not because i wanted to rip him off, I just loved his guitar tones. and that exactly what I'm going to get too is tone"S" what sound are you looking for?

I can pretty much nail
Justice with the SL+ with a overdrive pedal for some more treble /sustain and gain

Puppets with the same setup just using a bit more bass and less treble

Load and reload the XTC with a BBE does nicely

st anger - just use any distortion pedal and kick all your speakers in so there no more good and you'll nail that tone (sorry I just had to say it :)

Death magnetic the Treadplate does great with the BBE

oh and kill em all I use a Boss MT-2

Ride the lightning same thing Boss MT-2 with some reverb

hope that helps a bit, send me a PM if you want some settings

Later

lol...no.

KIA > Jose Modded Marshall> SL+ or modded plexi
RTL > Jose Modded Marshall> SL+ or modded plexi , plus reverb
MOP > Mark IIC+> KH2 with clean boost or Gigmods mark
AJFA> Mark IIC+> KH2 with clean boost or Gigmods mark
BA> Mark IIC+, ADA MP1, Jose Modded Marshall> Hardest sound to "nail" with modules because Hetfield multilayered tracks with different amps but KH3 works OK if eq'd properly.
DM> VH4 > Salvation Benzin or SL+with JJ tubes and a small clean boost

It also helps if your guitar's body is made out of mahogany for some extra chunk. EMGs don't hurt either.

Some great replies. Thanks guys! Tehuk, you're right. It was the Mark IIC+ Dont know why I was thinking Mark IV.

As far as the question about what tubes I'm using- whatever the stock ones are. I havent changed them out for anything. Suggestions for better ones?

Guitar that I'm using- Les Paul with the Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo. Also have a Schecter Hellraiser with EMGs. I would think guitar wise I have it covered.

I think Cranky has a good point. That wall of sound that the might Hetfield has is from a wall of sound. Not real practical for a home studio.

From the posts from slashnstrings and tehuk, it looks like my SL+ is more suited than the KH2. St Anger tones? Does that album really exist? I thought it was just a nightmare that I was having. :lol:

If you want Hetfield's LIVE tone, find out what he's using live. Get that module Mark II+, and check your speakers to see if you match his. The speakers will have a much greater effect on your tone than changing power tubes which will probably be negligable.

tehuk said:
Hetfield used a Mark IIC+. Gigmods Mark is based on Pete's Mesa Studio preamp so that is the module that is going to get you the closest.

Agree...Check out the clips. I'm really wanting one of these...

Hetfield generally had a scooped sound back in the day, if you pop in a 100kpot at R25 you'll get that adjustment. I've got this mod on an Ultra Lead an sounds pretty good.
I've also got a KH-3 and love it stock.

Also don't go by any recordings post 2000. They used so much dynamic range compression that even the distorted sounds are distorted. That's another way they get that wall of sound. They do this even on recorded live performances. Loudness wars.

Just get an SL+, Modern, and 1086. In my opinion. then you can nail just bout any of em. Oh, and a Grail for the Load, Reload stuff. And like Julia said, Speakers make a difference, Hetfield uses mostly, Vintage 30s. I got some Eminence Governor's that will do the same, thing, they actually sound better in my opinion. I hooked up an electrometer to mine when all hooked up and have higher output than celestions actually.