May Have Found the Perfect RM MIDI Foot Controller

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this post, but I think it'd be good for lots of folks to see it.

I just made the move to MTS, and in doing so I still have my old amp, a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100 head. My H&K is fully controlled via MIDI, and therefore comes stock with a 7 button foot-switch/controller.

My used RM100 did not come with a stock Randall footswitch, so I decided to try controlling it with my H&K footswitch. And, viola, it works. It works great actually, and plays nice with the RM's channel switching. Even better, it is fully powered via 'phantom power' on the attached 7-pin MIDI cable. This means that the only cable required is the attached MIDI cable. No power cable or adapter required! So, this allows you to have nothing on the floor but the H&K footswitch, plugged into the back of the RM (or effects processor). No need to find power.

It works similarly plugged into my Rocktron Intellifex, so long as there is phantom power provided to the rack unit, and also switches channels on it.

There are 128 presets, throughout 32 banks, with a bright LED readout.

This is the footswitch that should have come with the RM.

If your looking for a good, well-built, simple, effective and affordable MIDI controller, this might be your best bet. Can be found on eBay for ~$150 new, or $60-$120 used.

HK still makes these, so I'm sure you could get one from them.

Just figured some folks would find this useful.

Thanks.

Links:

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=150&prod=FSM 432 MK II

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hughes-Kettner-7-button-Footswitch-for-Switchblade-FSM-PROAUDIOSTAR-/400386305012?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d38e22bf4#ht_2863wt_1402

Well that is pretty cool.

One quick bit of advice, don't plug in the foot switch with the amp turned on. Make sure it is plugged in before you power up.

You will blow the MIDI fuse, which will require opening the amp and de-soldering the old one (it's not a glass one) to replace it. The part is not a common fuse either.

Jaded Faith said:
You will blow the MIDI fuse, which will require opening the amp and de-soldering the old one (it's not a glass one) to replace it. The part is not a common fuse either.

I only know to not do it. Rob is the tech geek on that stuff. Heed his words.

Latest posts