Mega Module Demo!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
Currently, I have 9 MTS mods-

Randall Plexi (going to Rob in a few days to become a 59' RR MKII)
Randall KH2A (Going to Rob in a few days to become a PV VIL)
Randall Geolge Lynch Grail
Salvation Matchvox
Salvation Custom 3
Salvation Angel B (with a custom voicing switch)
Salvation Mandarine Stoneverb
Salvation Salvado Deluxe
JF OD Special

I decided to cut a 10 minute youtube demo of all of my modules. I didn't mic up a cab, so the sound clips were recorded using the internal mic in my computer with the input volume turned way down to avoid clipping. For almost every mts module there is a solo tone as well as a rhythm tone. This is meant to be a demo, not a review. All I'll say is that the worst mod is the KH2A.

I'm trying to get the clip uploaded to youtube.

Peace-

Right on thanks for doing the vid and the demo - had no clue that was you, checked out some of your other vids before searching youtube. I wrote you on there way back asking if you had the Matchvox, but you sold it - so this one must be the replacement.

Dig that tree shirt btw.

Thanks for doing the vid, man. Are those pyramid inlays on the charvel neck? That's a cool guitar - lots going on with it hehe Love the 80's vibe of it! Looks like you did something to the grill of your RM100? Would like to see that closer up, too ;) I'm going to have to watch it a couple more times to listen to all the modules again

Disciple- I've been an and and off MTS user for years. A few years ago, I sold my mts gear ( I couldn't afford all the mods at the time) and the Matchvox was my favorite module back then. After I sold my MTS gear, I bought a Vox night train, but the Matchvox was WAY better. Now that I'm back in the MTS game, I had to have that module again, so I bought a new one from Anthony.

I got the Shirt form Old Navy a few days ago. Are there Old Navy stores in CO? Maybe you can pick the shirt up. It was $9 :)

Rhequiem- They are Pyramid inlay stickers that are copies on the old JEM 777 Ibanez. I've had that Charvel for a few years and every so often I'll find some way to make it look worse ;)

The only thing I did to the RM100 was take the Randall logo off the front baffle. I figure that is Randall is going to abandon the MTS line, maybe I should...well you know...

During the demo's I found:

-I love the tones on the ODS, MV and Stoneverb. The Stoneverb is almost dead on my old RV100. It has an added switch, that lets me go from an AD30 to Rockerverb to scooped Rockerverb. It sounds equally great in OD and clean modes.

-The ODS had a really cool sound and I can get higher gain tones at a lower gain level as well as clean ska tones.

-The Salvado Deluxe can do Clean/ crunch, crunch, and SLO OD. It sounds great, but is hard to record properly. I had to do a bunch of different takes before I got a sound sample that was ok.

-I'm up in the air about the ANGEL B. It sounds good, but is hard to dial in.

-The Grail is great, but is a tad bit too dark.

-The KH2A sucks, but its only purpose is to be used as a donor module so...

-The plexi sounds really good, I'm sending it to Rob for the RR59 mod and while I'd like a gambit of Marshall tones, I'd still like it to retain some of its lower gain qualities. It sounded organic to my ears. I think I could get a nice Hendrix tone If I really tried.

The Custom 3 is just a great module. It's purpose built to rock, it records really well and is articulate at high gain levels.

The Rossness said:
-The Salvado Deluxe can do Clean/ crunch, crunch, and SLO OD. It sounds great, but is hard to record properly. I had to do a bunch of different takes before I got a sound sample that was ok.
Really? I constantly find it the easyest to record. But that is either miced or direct with IRs, so it's probably just not working with your pc mic too well.
Sounds like it was clipping it a lot ;)

Anyway, thanks for the shootout!

What's with all the Vernon Reid colours goin on! That was a nice EVH cab but now it looks like it should be in a nursery :( It's all good though, artists express themselves differently! 8)

Ok tone wise i will get slammed for this no doubt but i like the custom3 the best followed by the KH2! I know the KH2 is essentially the brown and maybe that is why i liked it. Sounded good to my ears.

Hey with all that gear purchased, pic up a sm57 or 906 and mic that cab bro! You'll get much better results for your vids.

Great stuff....Thanks for doing the vid...Very enjoyable!

Agreed on getting a mic- it would certainly help but the cam mic was pretty true to form anyway...Just gotta get used to it for a minute...

Thanks for the solid contribution...

Kapo_Polenton said:
What's with all the Vernon Reid colours goin on! That was a nice EVH cab but now it looks like it should be in a nursery :( It's all good though, artists express themselves differently! 8)

Ok tone wise i will get slammed for this no doubt but i like the custom3 the best followed by the KH2! I know the KH2 is essentially the brown and maybe that is why i liked it. Sounded good to my ears.

Hey with all that gear purchased, pic up a sm57 or 906 and mic that cab bro! You'll get much better results for your vids.

Anyone who knows me, will tell you that I LOVE color! I tend to decorate whatever I can get my paws on, from my gear, to my car and everything in between. With my car, I was inspired by the nose art of WWII bombers and this was the result-
383306_603290529455_67402512_32339213_1472683629_n.jpg

I'll look into getting a mic. I still don't know how to record too well. Would I be able to go directly into the computer via USB or would I need to go to a mixer and then somehow connect mic> mixer> my Mac? Its been a while since I've recorded anything properly and could use some tips on setting up a proper way to record.

Buy a small USB mic preamp interface for your computer and done. Line 6 has a cheapish one as do many other manufacturers. 200$ and you could be up and running. Then you can use reaper or something else free but if you don't have the experience, go the line6 way as their software interface is a breeze and it is all explained. Or something small like this : http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOMOBILEPREV2

BTW I like your car! Now that is cool...

Randall Plexi - With the effects & Surh Riot I liked it. It wasn't terrible in the mid gain setting either. The '59RR will be a nice upgrade.

Randall KH2A - I am definately never getting the KH2 unlessson the cheap for a mod.

Randall George Lynch Grail - not sure if it was the recording or what, but didn't sound very good. I had a stock Grail & I liked it for the most part for "heavier" stuff.

Salvation Matchvox - I liked the Matchless side. I've come to the conclusion I just don't like the Vox tone. But I tend to like my cleans on the "rounder" side & the Vox's are always too bright & spanky.

Salvation Custom 3 - This sounded pretty good as well.

Salvation Angel B (with a custom voicing switch) - just not my thing.

Salvation Mandarine Stoneverb - sounded pretty good.

Salvation Salvado Deluxe - maybe it was the recording but this just didn't sound good to me. Strange as I love the Soldano tone.

JF OD Special - At the start it was too bright for me, but later in the demo of this mod I liked the tone.

Thank you for doing the vid. It is always cool to hear & see what people are using.

Latest posts