MIDI channel info needed for Randall gear

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
My new RM4 isn't responding to MIDI program changes from my Behringer FCB1010. I am not a novice to MIDI, and my other gear is still responding to the FCB1010, so I don't think the problem is there.

I am guessing the RM4 is merely set to receive on another MIDI channel than what my FCB1010 is sending. I am also assuming there are some dip switches of some sort inside the RM4 that will allow you to change the MIDI channel. I tried to take the top off the RM4 last night to take a look, but much to my dismay, half the screws were installed crooked and a couple of them stripped and will not come out. (I like Randall gear, but I have to say that this my second piece of gear in a row from Randall that came with crooked screws that strip as soon as you try to turn them. :x )

When you get done laughing at my inability to remove some simple screws, I'd appreciate any info on Randall's default MIDI channel and how to change it. What channel is set at the factory, exactly where the dip switches are located, how they should be configured to be in OMNI mode, etc.

This SHOULD have all been included in the manual...which BTW wasn't even included with my NEW RM4, but which I found on line.

Gary

You will have to open up the amp and check the dip switches. If I remember correctly they should all be set to on. My RT2/50 & RM4 were acting peculiar too and I had to change the internal settings. If you stripped the head of the screw out, try using a square or hex drive bit in the remains. Oversize it slightly and tap it in with a hammer ofr extra bite if you have to. My XTLive works in OMNI now.
~Kurt

Finally got the stripped screws out yesterday. Neither of the two MIDI switches were in the "on" position. Turned them both on. Also had to change the four MIDI channel dip switches from all in the down position (probably represented MIDI channel 16) to all in the up position (probably channel 1). Now the unit is responding to my Behringer floorboard.

Thanks to Ned and Kurtis for their input. Randall should really put this stuff in the manual. I was close to sending the unit back. I also can't imagine what purpose the two MIDI switches serve when they're not in the "on" position. :?:

I am having the same problem with my RM4 and RT2/50. I made sure that the 2 switches were "on" and then i set the 4 dip switches to all "on" and then all "off". Still nothing. I can't get the RM4 to change the channel on the RT2/50. Any ideas of what I should try next?

Randall sent me some midi info. I have it on the web

http://www.andrewschur.com/RM4_midi/Randall_RM4_Midi_Quick_Start.swf

If the link fails its at the top of my home page. I have it in the original word format if anyone wants it as well

That's some good info, thanks for posting it. I wonder why these aren't sent out with the amplifiers?

I thought the same thing and then thought "Hell they forgot to put tubes in my RM4" :lol:

Has it ever been established what the secondary 2 pin switch is in the MIDI board in the RT2/50? I changed my RT from MIDI Channel 16 to MIDI Channel 1 and left the secondary switch at the factory setting of both OFF and the RT is working fine with my preamp and pedal. So I'm really just curious what the secondary switch is for?

I am having a similar issue with my RM100. It doesn't switch at all with randall footswitches. I've messed with the four switches on the midi component with no success. I'm on my second footswitch and no luck. Any help would be awesome.

chad...by the looks of things from my end, i believe that has something to do with the midi input. what exactly...i just don't know.

axess electronics can help you with your question...

tell mario Randall sent you: www.axess-electronics.com

hyndra...contact customer service at 847-643-5120. looks like you probably blew a MIDI board fuse. did you happen to turn the amp on first...then plug the MIDI cable in? :shock:

Hyndra said:
I am having a similar issue with my RM100. It doesn't switch at all with randall footswitches. I've messed with the four switches on the midi component with no success. I'm on my second footswitch and no luck. Any help would be awesome.

I suspect the MIDI fuses are probably blown..someone can point you in teh right direction I'm sure.

Ok, ill check those out. Whats the value on those if they are to be replaced? I saw that some people were listing them as 1.6. Is this 1.6A or 1.6mA?

Thanks
Nik