modding a recto to the grail specs?what do i need to change?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fairly sure it's just swapping out R1, which is a 470 ohm 1/2w resistor, to a 150 Ohm 1/2w resistor. Possibly changing C3 as well to whichever value you prefer as well. On the R1 resistor, 470 ohm resistors have yellow, purple, and brown color bands, where the 150 ohm resistors have brown, green, brown color bands. Again, not 100%, but I think that is what I have read.

My Recto has a 150 ohm R1 and a 0.022 C3 value and I love it. Nice and open and with a much more pleasant high end than most every real Recto I have played through. At the very least, this will give you a few things to try out and I have found beneficial on my module. Hope this helps!

cool,thanks!ill give it a try!anyone else know about the grail specs for sure?

Checking some earlier posts, you need to change R1, R2 and R3 all to 150 ohm. I changed these 3 plus C3 to 0.001uF, and it made the Recto sound a lot better IMHO. I don't have a Grail to compare with, but I'm happy I did the mod.

You will lose a little gain with the grail mod, but it's not as fizzy. I think it's a great thing to do, but if you're a gain addict and dime the preamp on the recto module, you may not want to do it.

And yeah, it's changing the R1-3 to 150ohms and tightening the bass cap. I prefer a looser (larger) bass cap for leads with the recto modules, and tighter (smaller) for rhythms.

Pete

So if i wanted to do the orange mod would i still need to drill to get this tone, and can you clue us all in as to what caps to change out for this change.

Fair enough, i thought maybe it was public knowledge, i would never want to put a man out of work. Well i guess i will just have to send one off to get the mod done.

TheHunter said:
Fair enough, i thought maybe it was public knowledge, i would never want to put a man out of work. Well i guess i will just have to send one off to get the mod done.

Not necessarily putting me out of work, but I spent a *lot* of time dialling it in. Once I get some of my backlog done, I'm going to add some new tech articles and stuff - I try to give back to the community. :)
Pete

i found this in an old post from pete!!a big thanks to pete for sharing this with us!!!i owe you!!!
"Yep, a 'recto grail' is my recto modded to grail
specs. JKD was kind enough to loan me his, basically a
grail is a recto module with a tighter bass cap
(.0005, or 500pf) and 150ohm resistors feeding each of
the opto isolators (those little 6 pin op amp looking
devices). It lessens the amount of raw gain, but also
tightens it up a little and takes out some of the high
end trash/fuzz from the signal. If you already dime
the volume on your recto, you probably won't be
replacing it with a grail anytime soon. "

So i got a Rectified not a Recto and not a treadplate, its a rectified module. I was ready to do the grail mod and the bass cap mod when i realized that the resistors that i bought were the same as the ones in the module already 150 1/2w brown green brown.. So i said to myself well that smarts, and as you all know the recto is very fuzzy to begin with. So i decided ok well maybe changing the bass cap will fix the prob then since the resistors are done then lets try the other mod. No luck, where it did help to tighten the bass the module does not sound like the clips that i have heard on Petes mod site and it is still extremley fuzzy.

I have tried the modern and it was no good for me and now this, the only sound i like is my blackface and my XTC (.oo1uf) other than those every module i get i hate, HELP please.

Is there a difference in these modules from recto to rectified to treadplate? Is there another cap or resistor to change from each generation of module? Maybe i should send it to Pete?