Module Master Volume level?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowonder

Reaction score
In my relatively short time with the MTS line-up, I've found myself running the module master volume levels between 8:30 and 11:00 & controlling the overall volume with the amp master control.

Is there any reason *tone-wise* to run the module master levels above that? Any potential for harm to the amp? (seem to recall some talk about fried circuit boards, but not sure if that was pinpointed as the cause).

There is a thread on here somewhere with clips of modules volume maxed vs. amps master maxed. See if you can search for it.

After some personal tests, I keep the modules at 9:00 to 11:00 and the amps master at noon or higher.

eyeball987 said:
After some personal tests, I keep the modules at 9:00 to 11:00 and the amps master at noon or higher.

Ditto (more or less). When I need more volume I might get to 12ish on the modules, then the rest from the the amp MV.

I currently run my module Levels maxed & the MV at about 9AM. Been doing that since January so far with no ill affects. I haven't toyed around with the different settings much other than running the module Levels between noon & 2 o'clock & the MV about 11 o'clock. It's been awhile since I did that so I can't really tell you the difference in tone. I should try it again. At any rate I think it was mojo that did some clips of the different Level & MV settings. I can't find the thread at the moment though.

eyeball987 said:
There is a thread on here somewhere with clips of modules volume maxed vs. amps master maxed. See if you can search for it.

I did those, I'll see if I can dig them up, or record some new ones ;)

There is definitly a difference in tone when running a different balance.
It seems to be mostly affecting the mids, if you run the modules high and master low, you get more pronounced but less beautiful mids (IMO). If you run the modules lower and master high you get a more balanced out sound.

I tend to have my master at 3 o clock and modules around 9 - 11.
I have my true master volumes on the RT2/50 ;)

It might have something to do with driving the loop buffers or output buffer into overdrive.. I'm not sure.
But the modules definitly sound the best between 9 and 12 o clock to me.

Guess my logic was that by running the module masters low and winding up the amp master, I'd get some power tube distortion without having the amp so loud it would rearrange the furniture. :shock:

nowonder said:
Guess my logic was that by running the module masters low and winding up the amp master, I'd get some power tube distortion without having the amp so loud it would rearrange the furniture. :shock:

Modules high + Master low = Modules low + Master high

A master volume is in front of the poweramp, so no powertube distortion there, the only way to do that is by putting an attenuator between the powertubes and speakers.
... Or rearranging the furniture ;)

I tried rolling the modules level back & boosting the RM4 Master.
Master - noon
SL+ & Judge - 12:30
Scary - 1:30ish

The tone got a little thicker. I don't think it was the bass, but the low mids maybe that became more pronounced. I really liked the sound, except for the Scary. The Scary just didn't sound right, yet I can't explain why. I'm sure it will be great again once I fiddle with the EQ some. The Judge was perfect without adjustments. The SL+ became a little too heavy, so I think Saturday I will bring up the mids & treble some on that.

Hamner1 said:
I tried rolling the modules level back & boosting the RM4 Master.
Master - noon
SL+ & Judge - 12:30
Scary - 1:30ish

The tone got a little thicker. I don't think it was the bass, but the low mids maybe that became more pronounced. I really liked the sound, except for the Scary. The Scary just didn't sound right, yet I can't explain why. I'm sure it will be great again once I fiddle with the EQ some. The Judge was perfect without adjustments. The SL+ became a little too heavy, so I think Saturday I will bring up the mids & treble some on that.
Exactly my experience.

I didn't like it that much on any of my modules, but especially not on the Salvado.
So it's interesting that you point out the Mr. Scary then, I gues there's something in that SLO-ish tone that doesn't work that well with that mid-bump added.

Yeah it was something in the mids I think. I rolled the Mids & Highs back to 12:30 (previously at 1:30 & 1 respectively) and it is great again.

Still tweaking the SL+...

I usually keep my level on my module around noon and my MV at around 9:00 for practice and i usually run the MV around noon along with my module level at noon during jam sessions with friends. I'm using my RM100 at 100watts btw... Just saying.

GuitarGod87 said:
I usually keep my level on my module around noon and my MV at around 9:00 for practice and i usually run the MV around noon along with my module level at noon during jam sessions with friends. I'm using my RM100 at 100watts btw... Just saying.

Just saying it must be loud. :lol: