MTS mods by Voodoo amps.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stm113

Reaction score
Any one here had any modas done by Voodoo amps? Those guys do great mods, i have heard in person the difference they make on a 5150, JCM800, Mesa Dual REC and Laney AOR. so i know the work is good. just curious if any of you have heard what they do on the MTS stuff? thinking of getting my RM100 and some modules modded.

just to let you guys know i have been in contact with Voodoo Amps over the past few days, they have this new "sear mod" they offer thats supposed to give an amazing amount for gain. Trace told me that this would give my modules more gain than a 5150 which has gain for days.

one thing i love about Voodoo Amps is their integrity. if Trace doesnt feel that he can improve the quality of your amp or if he doesnt think he can acheive the results you want, he will advise against it. so it seems he's not out for your money but for your overall happiness.

also their work is impecable. i have a good friend of 15 years that runs a professional recording studio (he stays booked up with bands from record labels months in advance.) his JCM 800, Dual Rec, and 5150 are all modded by them and sound amazing ... and the workmanship is 1st rate!

I have had Trace mod 2 of my modules for me and they turned out amazing...wouldn't change a **** thing on them. The EQ is so fluid and smooth....it really rolls on nicely without ripping your face off with ear bleeding frequencies.

Anyways...I told Trace that I would place a review on this forum, so I will do this very soon...a nice detailed one.

BTW...the Sear Mod that Trace is now offering was the new animal born form a custom mod I asked him to do for me a month or so back. We agreed on this name for it...and I can guarantee you it is something else! Especially for leads!! ...the tone you can get out of this thing is outstanding! My recommendation is that you you send it to him. I'm sending down another module to him in a couple of weeks...another custom thing where I'll just tell him to do his magic.

Later this year, I'll be sending down the LB head for the whole enchilada.

Do it!! You won't regret it! :wink:

Pedro

Happy New Year guys! I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas and a safe New Years Eve.

Sear Mod - Just to make a quick note, yes the Sear-Mod has a great deal of gain on tap and it is the highest gain Mod we perform on a module. I am reluctant to say that it exceeds the amount of gain in a 5150 but it does hang in there very well (lol). Perhaps others here who have this Mod can comment at their convenience.

The Sear-Mod began as a Custom Mod for Pedro and was named as such because due its searing gain characteristics. The Sear-Mod was designed for modern metal tones but does work great for liquid leads as well as heavy rhythms. The Sear-Mod does have a lot of gain on tap but it is all useable.

In an effort to make this as flexable as possible we add two (2) gain controls mounted on the PC board in the form of trim pots. Along with the preamp control itself this gives you three (3) different ways to structure the gain allowing for numerous tonal possibilities. In other words you can dial the gain way back and use it for modern rock or crank it up for searing model metal tones. Just let us know what you want and we'll set it up for you.

Have a great weekend!
Trace

And this mod can be done to any module or is it specific to one or a few?

Pedro, what module did you have modded?

Hey Jethro,

I had the Recto modded with the Sear Mod. Was never a real fan of the tone and just didn't have enough "umph" in the gain category. The EQ just outright stank as well. Too little or too much.

I think that the Sear Mod was designed by trace to be used on any of the hi gain modules offered (XL, SL+, maybe 1086 or Plexi and more than likely the lynch hi gainers too.)

The trim pots on board are sweet and very useful to dial in what you want. I haven't changed Trace's settings on mine because it just sings now :)

Anyways, I'll have a full out review on the 2 I had done this week for everyone to read...but definitely worth every cent! :wink:

Pedro

Cool. Thanks for the info. The only ones I may want to get modded are an Ultra Lead and a 1086.

I use an Egnater EG5 modded by Trace. It's my favorite module right now for singing sustain. Trace has a way to make tons of gain sounds musical without the fizziness. He's a great guy too. I'm thinking of getting my XTC mod by him.
Here's a little jam demo:
RM100 and RM50
clean: Deluxe and Brown
Dirt: EG5 and 1087

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiBE-7uhjJc

Jethro - We can perform the Sear-Mod on the following modules;

Grail
Mr Scary
SL+
Treadplate
Ultra
Ultra XL

If you have another high gain module that is not listed here please feel free to email me or post here and I can let you know if the Sear-Mod can be installed.

Tung - Nice playing! I like the speedy part followed by the finger tapping and whammy slapping part. I didn't see that coming considering how the video started off but it's a cool video!

Happy New Year to everyone!!!!
Trace

Trace since you seem to be stopping in here, I've got a question.

Posted on your rig talk sub forum

I'd like to have my OT and choke replaced with a MM transformer.
I loved my Voodoo DSL and saw you offer this for the RM100, but are you offering it for the RM50?

Voodoo Amps said:
Tung - Nice playing! I like the speedy part followed by the finger tapping and whammy slapping part. I didn't see that coming considering how the video started off but it's a cool video!

Happy New Year to everyone!!!!
Trace

Thanks for checking out the vid, Trace. I wanted to bring the Voodoo EG5 to NAMM next week, since I'm going to be doing some playing there, but consider the recent airport issues, we'll see.
Are you going to NAMM? Thanks again for the great work on the mod.
T.

Trace,

Dumb question - do all the sear mods end up sounding the same regardless of the stock module used? That is, does a sear ultra=a sear sl+, etc?

PhiloBeddoe said:
Trace,

Dumb question - do all the sear mods end up sounding the same regardless of the stock module used? That is, does a sear ultra=a sear sl+, etc?

Good question! I am interested in hearing this answer also.

tung said:
Thanks for checking out the vid, Trace. I wanted to bring the Voodoo EG5 to NAMM next week, since I'm going to be doing some playing there, but consider the recent airport issues, we'll see.
Are you going to NAMM? Thanks again for the great work on the mod.
T.

No thanks is necessary for working on the module, that is what we're here for my friend and it was my pleasure!

NAMM - As much as I would like to go to NAMM this year we are too busy for me to get away. I am by no means complaining and it's a wonderful problem to have! Customer happiness is our first priority :)

Many thanks and have a great time at NAMM!!
Trace

Sorry for not responding sooner. For some reason I did not see the other posts in this thread. My apologies!

If you ever need an immdiate answer please feel free to call us at 607-256-0465 or drop my an email at [email protected].

Trace since you seem to be stopping in here, I've got a question. Posted on your rig talk sub forum

Apologies, we've been very busy but I am on my way over the rig-talk now to look for your thread! :)

Hello PhiloBeddoe & eyeball987! There are several modules that lend themselves to the same Mod and those are notated on the Randall page of our site. Yes, they all sound the same once modified.

To explain a bit more, we literally remove all the components off from the PC board that are in the signal path (about 90% of the components) and we then repopulate the module with new components to build a custom circuit. Another thing worth mentioning is our high gain module Mods run virtually dead quite or in other words there is little to no background noise or hiss.

Thanks guys!!
Trace