Need Advice on A 4x12 Cabinet

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelDragon

Reaction score
I have an incoming R412CB 4x12 Cab with Vintage 30s, or so the ad says. I enjoy heavy metal/hard rock. Should I switch out two 30s for two G12-75s or just stick with the 30s? Just need some opinions while I'm waiting on the cabinet to ship. Thanks

Everyone's ears are different, but I would stick with the Vintage 30s

For MTS there are actually cabs with Celestion Neodymiums voiced specifically for MTS...Don't know how many are out there but the one I have is awesome...Sounds a little fuller than the V30 and weighs half as much....The RM100 head is BY FAR the heaviest part of my live rig...Therefore when I gig I usually put the cab on top of the head to keep things safe and balanced...

These 100 watters are ridiculously heavy.. my LB could be a boat anchor..luckily it sounds much better.

How about a Bogner. They're amazing cabs. I'm selling one in the classifieds. If I played out more then I'd keep it.

Let me know. I could get it to you for a reasonable price.

They have a depth that's second to none.

I would consider swapping you two G12T-75's for two V 30's, but I would also keep the V 30's if I were you. I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting one of those cabs, and man did you get a good deal on it! Here's some info on the speakers:
Celestion Vintage 30
Series: Classic
Power Rating: 60W
Nominal impedance: 8Ω and 16Ω
Sensitivity: 100dB
Voice coil diameter: 1.75", 44.5mm
Voice coil material: Round copper
Magnet type: Ceramic
Magnet weight: 50oz, 1.42kg
Frequency range: 70-5000Hz
Resonance frequency, Fs: 75Hz
DC resistance, Re: 7.3Ω & 12.9Ω
MSRP: $215.00

Celestion G12T-75
Series: Classic
Power Rating: 75W
Nominal impedance: 8Ω and 16Ω
Sensitivity: 97dB
Voice coil diameter: 1.75", 44.5mm
Voice coil material: Round copper
Magnet type: Ceramic
Magnet weight 35oz,: 0.99kg
Frequency range: 80-5000Hz
Resonance frequency, Fs: 85Hz
DC resistance, Re: 6.77Ω & 12.9Ω
MSRP: $160

And the Cabinet:
R412CB
Straight, angled baffle
Power Rating: 280W
Speakers: Vint 30's
Inputs: 4Ω/16Ω mono, 8Ω stereo
Made U.S.
MSRP: $1,099.90

I'm quite certain it comes with the 16Ω speakers.

Mattfig said:
For MTS there are actually cabs with Celestion Neodymiums voiced specifically for MTS...Don't know how many are out there but the one I have is awesome...Sounds a little fuller than the V30 and weighs half as much....The RM100 head is BY FAR the heaviest part of my live rig...Therefore when I gig I usually put the cab on top of the head to keep things safe and balanced...

I think those were kinda a Randall exclusive. 80w speakers right?

seanh303 said:
Mattfig said:

I think those were kinda a Randall exclusive. 80w speakers right?

I guess so....Just did a quick search and it didn't yield much....Yes, they are 80 watt speakers...It was called Randall R412NXT off anyone searches it...

Yeah the Neo's are a very cool build! I was reading through some of the Celestion press releases the other day. I think the first ones they came out with were 75w, but they made the 80w exclusive for Randall. Definitely a step beyond Seventy80's. I would LOVE to hear some soundclips of them man!

From the Randall 2009 catalog:
R412NXT 4 x 12" Straight front, angled baffle, Traditional black grill cloth. Custom Celestion Neodymium speakers, with exclusive "Mic Eliminator" XLR outputs 320W 4/16 mono 8 stereo Inputs $ 1,299.99

The Celestion G12 Century Vintage is a similar speaker, but not identical, as these are 60w.
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=2
I'm not sure if they offered an 80w Neo previously, but do know the Neo's in the Randall cabs were made exclusively for Randall.

Can you post links to the speakers you found?

Pretty good thread about the Neo's here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=798459
Mattfig: Does you're experience match what a couple of folks said about the Celestion G12 Century Vintage being "pretty rough", "nasal mid-range spike" and "brash"? I'm wondering if you have found those characteristics at all with the Randall version? Too bad it's so tough to be able to A/B different speakers. I love the idea of saving on the weight. I've got my eye out for one of the NXT cabs now, I'll give one a shot if I can find one reasonable.