New RM50...few questions and observations

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymzrock

Reaction score
Ok so the RM50 Palamino just got in! First question, my parallel loop has a jumper of sorts plugged into it. I vaguely remember reading something about a spring reverb...anyone know f'sho? Two, the Master Volume Boost jack says "refer to manual" above it, nothing in the manual about it. What is its actual function and what is required in that spot to achieve it? (footswitch, etc) One last kinda preference question, the 50 came with 6L6's but the RM100 I got a few weeks ago came with EL34's. I was thinking of putting a pair of the 34's in the RM50 and running a pair of each in the RM100. Who does this, and are there any placement preferences? 34's inboard, 6L6's in the outboard slots? Vice versa? Both heads are brand new and my god the tone! As soon as I strummed that blackface I knew I was home! And that's just stock, the XTC has some major hiss to it but I haven't had much time to really dial it in. Happy happy! Thanks guys! This forum is why I decided to dive in!

Oh and also, the RM100 didn't come with the heat sink, just the holy grille on the back that matches the front. Did they stop making them with it at some point?

Welcome to MTS officially! Glad you are digging it....Changing tubes on the RM50 is as simple as the RM100...Just reset the bias when done....I would suggest looking at KT77s or 6CA7s as well as they are both kinda in between 6L6 and EL34s...In the RM100, the EL34s ilk the outside better when paired with 6L6s...

The jumper plugged into the p loop is the reverb....I would imagine you adjust it with the Effects knob....

The volume boost is meant for a volume pedal or something similar....

Many of us use noise reduction to quiet mods as well....Your XTC would be quieted quite nicely by an ISP product or whatever reduction you like to use...

Good luck!

Mattfig said:
Welcome to MTS officially! Glad you are digging it....Changing tubes on the RM50 is as simple as the RM100...Just reset the bias when done....I would suggest looking at KT77s or 6CA7s as well as they are both kinda in between 6L6 and EL34s...In the RM100, the EL34s ilk the outside better when paired with 6L6s...

The jumper plugged into the p loop is the reverb....I would imagine you adjust it with the Effects knob....

The volume boost is meant for a volume pedal or something similar....

Many of us use noise reduction to quiet mods as well....Your XTC would be quieted quite nicely by an ISP product or whatever reduction you like to use...

Good luck!

The RM50 specs say this:

"Tube buffered parallel effects loops with front panel mix control
Series effects loop"

So, the head has two effects loops. The parallel loop currently has the reverb plugged in. If I unplug the reverb, and plug in my M13, will I be able to control the level of mix with the M13 by the effects knob on the front of the amp?

I find serial loops work better with the Line 6 pedals.
Took ages for me to get my M5 working right on my recto's parallel loop, but works perfectly in the serial loop of my RM20.
Just control the mix per patch inside the Line 6.

Latest posts