New RM50 owner - with ???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usrname

Reaction score
So, I just exchanged the RM20 combo and got the RM50 head instead. I've got a couple questions, though.

First, what's everyone using for power tubes and what do you think would sound better with the Grail/Brahma setup I have - 6L6 or EL34? Second, I keep hearing about this boost feature of the RM50, but I don't see any dedicated controls, like on the RM20.

Is this just simply the parallel effects loop shorted and using the effects level control on the front? If so, that would be pretty cool, but how much of a boost will it give me? Any way to make it footswitchable?

One more thing, I'm thinking about disconnecting the reverb tank; what effect will this have on the overall sound, if any?

Thanks for the help! Rock on! :D

I have my reverb tank unplugged but still connected to the amp. It rattles when I turn the volume up so I'm thinking about removing it.

Edit: found the Master Volume Boost round back but, ironically, it's the only function not explained in the manual. :x

I did find some info on it while searching here, though. I wrongly thought it would give me a gain boost.

NunSuperior said:
I have my reverb tank unplugged but still connected to the amp. It rattles when I turn the volume up so I'm thinking about removing it.

Thanks for the reply Nun! Actually, I ended up getting my RM20 back as I like it's tone better; must be the EL84s! :)

I'm running the stock JJ EL34Ls in my Lynch Box. They were the only tubes I liked in the JVM that I had before. They came stock in this one. I've got them biased at 38.5 mv each. I've got the Brahma, Grail, Mr. Scary and the JTM.

I've got a clip going up with the JTM of all things very soon. I've got a friend coming over to lay down a vocal track otherwise just the instrumental is going up. There are things the JTM can do that the Brahma doesn't do as well. And OMG, it sounds very very close to a Marshall JTM45. This is my "clean" module.

Regarding tubes.... I'm going to eventually try a pair of SED Winged C 6550s running along with the EL34Ls.

Mr. Scary is a great module. I really like it, but I've really been into the Brahma and Grail lately.

Julia said:
Mr. Scary is a great module. I really like it, but I've really been into the Brahma and Grail lately.

Roger that! These two mods have cured my Plexi and Rectifier gas for the time being. All I need now is a Marshall-ish high gainer. Thinking of going with the KH-2.