New to Randall. What other modules for Metal?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsh

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the Randall brotherhood and am really looking forward to setting up my new rig and checking out the tones all you guys have been raving about :D

Some of you might think I'm crazy, but I just sold off a Triaxis and bought an RM4 from Clintb (on it's way). The Triaxis was taking AGES to tweak and there was this harsh bite to it that I just couldn't dial out!

I play for a modern heavy metal band, and the other guitarist uses a Bogner Valve and a Dual Recto. I need a BIG tone to complement his (and maybe outdo his ;o) ). I've got a modded Ultra XL and a Modern module on their way (thanks Mailman and JKD - for agreeing to ship to London)...what other modules would you guys recommend? I've heard great things about the Pete modded 1086 from Mailman - is it that good? What about the Recto? Any other must-haves?

My other equipment is listed below.

Cheer!

Well all I have is the stock 1086, and I have to say it is VERY versatile...I'm getting everything from Invasion of Your Privacy to Slave to the Grind...and of course, the standard Donegan tone...that's pretty a pretty flexible module if you ask me. Depends on the speakers as well, but I love this module.

You should be able to find a used one for under $200 will little effort.

Welcome Harsh and yes.....1086 is a must have!(Keeping my eye open for ya!) :wink:

Welcome again!!

Dan

Just went and got a 1086 today and this module stock is just unbelievable!!!A must have for the guitar arsenal!!!

+1 to the 1086- it has the most range/versatility of any module I own (and I own a lot). If you just want to go balls-out metal all the time, I hear Pete's mod to the 1086 is great (for my style I wouldn't want to give up the ability to dial in lower gain settings for classic rock).

I just got a Grail a few weeks ago, like it a lot so far but only have a few hours logged playing it - I need to experiment more before I really flesh out my opinion.

Ah...seems like a nice friendly bunch of people here :) Thank you all for all your replies.

Well, it seems unanimous that the 1086 is the way to go. Ever since Mailman sold me the idea, I've been watching the classifieds like a hawk and pounced on the 1st one that came along - Tsmilliner was kind enough to agree to ship to London. Lets see how this is gonna sound - will come back with my take on it soon after I get my hands on it. Saw a clip on you-tube from a guy called Banader who was playing clean using a 1086? Can it actually do a clean sound?

I'm pretty broke after buying all that gear in one go, but I hope the 1086 tone will make me forget about the meagre bank balance :wink:

Mailman - thanks a lot for all the advice, buddy. I'll get the 1086 modded as soon as possible. Waiting for your Ultra XL to arrive so I can start shredding away!

So, what I've got on the way so far is the Modern, Modded Ultra XL and the 1086. The fourth slot is still free. I was thinking of the KH-3 but would all my modules be too similar sounding? Any further ideas? What is the Brahma like?

I love the Brahma. Nice Plexi tone that covers alot of territory. I love to push mine with my Boss SD-1. **** near PERFECT SWEET tone. Not metal but gets down and dirty 80's Hair metal!
Your going to love that Friedman modded Ultra XL. Did you score that Sonic maximizer? Run it in that Effects loop. Really adds dimension to your sound. Great Crunchy Metal tone. Just dont OVERSATURATE with the BBE or it will sound Processed like a Line six amp.
Welcome to the club My friend!

Dan

if you get a Brahama, try to get a newer one with the updated specs- or a pro modded one

I would say something clean like BFace or KH1, but if you're an all gain player- go for it!

crankyrayhanky said:
if you get a Brahama, try to get a newer one with the updated specs- or a pro modded one

I would say something clean like BFace or KH1, but if you're an all gain player- go for it!
I been borrowing a "new spec" Brahma from my local Music store this past week. It does sound good....but has the "wet blanket" feel to it when comparing it to my Modded Modules that have the Clarity mods. Tone is good but not that Crystal clear tone. Guess I am spoiled buy only having the modded modules. But the tone did come a long way from the original Brahma release. I been using my Brown Eye module that I Had Dave Friedman mod but found it has a little too much gain for what I want to use it for. I sent it back to him to make it into his modded Brahma. But his Hairy Brown Eye mod he done on my SL+ is just a super killer "heavy" hot rodde Marshall tone. The Brahma mod he does is one of the SWEETEST tones out there. But the "new " Brahma still is lacking clarity(at least the one I played does)
Just my 2 cents. :wink:

Guys...I'm also quite keen on the Grail - I've heard people saying some great things about it. :)

If I were to pick up a used Treadplate/Recto, would it be an easy job to do the mod? I've searched, but didn't find any instructions. Is there a post somewhere which tells you how to do it?

Tonally, is there a huge differerence between the Treadplate and Grail? I'm not too keen on using an Overdrive boost, will it have enough gain without a boost?