noise gates

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCdan

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone using high gain modules has needed to use a noise gate? I'm talking underground metal/punk mega gain here. I've always had to clamp down like crazy with my MXR smart gate with my all solid state rig, but I'm hoping that since I won't be using a distortion pedal that the hiss and hum will be drastically reduced. So, what gates are you using? I'm using an MXR smart gate, which only works well when I turn the gate up to "annihalate" so that the led is always on, or else it makes the cleans swell, and reduces dynamic range drastically. But it definitely takes some of the sound out. What are you guys using, if anything?

as far as pedals go there are only 2 , the boss ns-2 and the isp decimator. i set my ns-2 full on threshold and off on decay and it works great no noise, it is in front of the amp. the isp decimator works differently it has a dial and you set it to how much gate you need and once i got it to stop feedback and such there was no tone left at all, i could have just turned all the gain off on the amp and got the same effect, probably the most retarded pedal of all time imo.

Hmmm, that's interesting that you say that about the ISP, since it seems to be the highest rated pedal out there. There are a couple other pedals: the MXR smartgate (which I'm using) and the Rocktron hush. I know that the smartgate really sucks a lot of tone out that I have to try to add back in with my 10 band EQ with only marginal success. Does anyone else use any gate pedals? What about noise gate racks?

is I use the Boss NS and it does a good job. But you have to be reasonable with it. If you are using a noisy pickup, and a noisy booster channel and a noisy distortion pedal..well then nothing is going to be helpful.
But if you need moderate gateing, maybe a tad more..well then I have had good succes with the Boss. Note: If you use one immediatley after the pickups and then another one in the preamp loop you can achieve better results than just one... It still won't work miracles..but it can do a better job.
...hire me, I can tweak your stuff. Im in NY.

maximus1 said:
as far as pedals go there are only 2 , the boss ns-2 and the isp decimator. i set my ns-2 full on threshold and off on decay and it works great no noise, it is in front of the amp. the isp decimator works differently it has a dial and you set it to how much gate you need and once i got it to stop feedback and such there was no tone left at all, i could have just turned all the gain off on the amp and got the same effect, probably the most retarded pedal of all time imo.

+1 on the ICP, left me scratching my head. I use the NS-2 and love it. The Ultra module has a his with more gain, price you pay for high gain (said Pete).