Ok, swapped the tubes...now a bias question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madDdog67

Reaction score
Ok, I went ahead and swapped the 6L6s out for the EL34s in my RM50. I checked the bias before I swapped the tubes, and the 6L6s were within range. When I checked it after I put the EL34s, in was pretty low, like 20mv. I turned the bias knob a *hair*, and it shot up to over 60 :shock: so I quickly turned it down. To make a long story short, the bias went nuts anytime I tried to nudge it over 28ish mv. Once I get it that high, if I even LOOK at the bias adjustment, it just shoots up.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? I suppose I could run it cold, that won't hurt anything as far as I know (which is very little about this to be honest).

Sound like a broken bias pot in both of your amps. They can be damaged if you are too rough with them and I have seen it before. Try a different set of tubes (the originals are fine) if you you haven't already to rule that out first.

I'm gonna pop the stock tubes back in and check to see if the bias adjustment still acts wacky. Could be adjustment pot is bad or not working right.

Jaded Faith said:
Sound like a broken bias pot in both of your amps. They can be damaged if you are too rough with them and I have seen it before. Try a different set of tubes (the originals are fine) if you you haven't already to rule that out first.

That's what I was thinking. I think the head was whacked during shipping a couple of times, as the reverb tank also had a screw missing.

When I pulled the chassis to have a look at things, the bias pot was a little bent. I gently bent it back, but the bias is still pretty touchy and also only one test point works. It acts the same for both sets of tubes that I tried.

Jaded Faith said:

That's what I was thinking. I think the head was whacked during shipping a couple of times, as the reverb tank also had a screw missing.

When I pulled the chassis to have a look at things, the bias pot was a little bent. I gently bent it back, but the bias is still pretty touchy and also only one test point works. It acts the same for both sets of tubes that I tried.