Opinions on Heavy Rhythm Module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gweb

Reaction score
I know this is just a rehash of a hundred other posts, but I find myself going in circles and just wanted some opinions.

I'm running an RM4 into a Mesa 2:100 power amp. I'm happy with my clean, gritty, and lead channels but can't decide on my heavy rhythm module. I've got a Grail, Ultra XL, and 1086. They all have attributes that I like, but also fall a little short in areas. Not enough gain in the Grail, and the XL sounds thin sometimes....which makes me lean more towards the 1086...but it's still not quite there for me.

At some point I will just bite the bullet, pick one, and sell the others. Just wanted to see what input I could get here first.

Thanks,
Greg

I will strongerly recommend a Turley 1086. Best module I have ever owned fo all out metal and anything in between.

i concure with the all the above. and this will probablly be your best bet. pick your fav out of the modules you have. contact pete/okstrat for a workorder. tell him where your module lacks. when you get it back, enjoy your new sound and experiment with some pre-amp tube combos.
not to sound like a jerk but..... if you cant find happiness after these recommendations then you'll never be happy.

good luck

heres another thing to check or have checked. the bias on the tubes in your power amp.

heres what i've experenced. i had cold biased tubes in my rt2/50 when i had it. both sides, e34l's and 6l6 side. though it was alright sounding. bought a multi-meter, biased the amp. huge difference.

after having e34l's biased on hotter side of the voltage rating scope ... i couldnt be bothered with the 6l6 side.

wound up getting a head to get more flexability in tube choice combos after thats experence.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking a modded 1086 would probably be my final choice. It's great having all these options, and I agree that if I (or anyone else) can't find SOMETHING in this line to make 'em happy then they'll never be satisfied. I love my SL+ for leads, Blackface for clean, and JTM for that gritty in between.

My power amp has fixed bias with a switch for 6L6 or EL34. I was thinking about trying EL34's since it has 6L6's now.

Thanks again,
Greg

P.S. - look for mods in the classifieds soon!

Yeah...I'd suggest a tube change...or turn the gain down and the volume up a bit :D

Also...modules can sound a bit thicker at the same volume level if you run their volume a little higher and lower the amp master....

My Pete Recto is my go to for brutality.......the Pete 1086 is cool too......but my personal heart:heart is the Pete Recto.....Orange channel.....scoop the mids with my MXR eq like 3K.......clear.......angry.......thick........yet defined brutality......loves it....... :shock: 8) :lol:

One of these days I may send my Recto to Pete to pull that mid boost off the Orange channel......but then again I have an EQ to offset it anyway..... :p :lol:

The treble on the ultra XL also sounds best when its lower then what you would normally dial in, at least to me. Great module

I had the same feeling on the ULTRA XL. Shrilly on the highs. I sent it out to Dave Friedman to mod and told him add a little more low end and take out the "Shrilly highs" and he did exactly that. Sounds great! 8)
It is one mean sounding Mutha! :D

I'm not ready to give up on the XL yet...originally I liked it so much I bought two. So I'll just sell one and maybe get the other modded along with the 1086.

I have virtually the same setup. I am running an RM4 into the Recto 2:100 with a Blackface, XTC, and Ultra. I can get a good heavy rhythm tone, just having a problem getting a good fat lead sound. Had the 1086 but I am one of the few that did not like it.

You said you like your lead tone, which module are you using to get that?

I love my Ultra XL, but the only module I have to compare to it is a JCM800 modded SL+. The SL+ is fatter and has less pick attack, which is good for the Marshall tone as the XL fulfills high gain everything. I play through an rm50 combo and the XL basically sounds like my friend's 6505+ except thicker and more ballsy. It may be the fact that I'm using JJ E34L's and the combo is partially open back, but it just sounds better overall to our ears.