P.I. Preamp Tubes tested and labeled by Groove Tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deisel401 said:
Has anyone tried these Phase Inverter Preamp tubes ? And do they do a decent job that's comparable to a JAN 5751 ?

I'd order the JAN even if it means waiting a few extra days...You'll be paying a high markup for a simple tube...

You can also get a JJ 5751 most anywhere for cheap...They do they trick well too!

Great !! Thanks Mr. Fig. Appreciate the quick response. Just about ready to place an order for tubes from M.F. I've been reading ALL your tube advice for the last few days. Just got my RM50HB last week and am psyched as hell to start swapping tubes in accordance with your advice. You posted you like the EH6CA7's for "middle of the road". Looks like MF doesn't carry those, ******!! Lol . . .

Gonna def grab a couple of each asa i can. But, for the heck of it, i just put 3 Mullard 12AX7's in the amp and they sound really good. They are about 3 weeks old and I think they're pretty much broke in. I didn't really care for them in my module ( SG P/SL+). The module has a lot of Mid-Bite so, to my ears, the Mullards took the mids just a hair too far. I have a JJ ECC81 in V1 of the module, and a JJ ECC83S in V2 of the module. And these , with the Mullards in the amp, are giving me the best tone yet since I received this amp a couple weeks ago. So much tube exploring to do !! Oh, and I took out the Ruby 6L6's that came with the amp, and put in JJ EL34's. I would love ANY suggestions you guys may have.

Hey Matt I ordered the JAN 5751. But I'm also curious what you're using in the Input Gain, and Effects Loop preamp tube spots. I just found out that the Mullard 12AX7's sound way more "muscular" and punchier in all 3 spots as opposed to my JJ ECC83's. I switched them out last night and I noticed a pretty big difference.

Deisel401 said:
Hey Matt I ordered the JAN 5751. But I'm also curious what you're using in the Input Gain, and Effects Loop preamp tube spots. I just found out that the Mullard 12AX7's sound way more "muscular" and punchier in all 3 spots as opposed to my JJ ECC83's. I switched them out last night and I noticed a pretty big difference.

You will be happy with the JAN 5751. I keep 4 or 5 around and always have one in the PI of the RM100.

Thanks Eyeball dude . . lol . . . I'm trying to get suggestions for the other 2 spots in the amp. I've read that some people like the Ruby HG+ in the Input Gain spot. That's a bit too much gain for my taste. It seems to me, for the Effects Loop preamp tube, you'd want a strong clean tube. So maybe another 5751 tube in that spot? Right now I have 3 Mullard 12AX7's in the amp and a pair of JJ ECC83's in my Hi-Gain module. I think I want to try a pair of Mullards in there as well. The JJ's seem a bit weak compared to the Mullards. Of the preamp tubes I have right now, which include GT 12AT7's, JJ ECC83's and JJ ECC81's, EH 12AX7's, and Ruby 12AXAC5 HG's, the Mullards are definitely the one's that appeal most to me for clarity, punch, and tone. Considering all this, does anyone have suggestions for other preamp tubes I might like that I may not be aware of. I like a "muscular" Plexi tone.