PLAN OF ACTION!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xspiderfingersx

Reaction score
Ok so heres my new plan on hooking it up with the mod50; im going to sell my Rm100 and keep my xtc module (which is the only one im using right now with my death metal band since i have no other projects at this point and i have a nice class a combo to cover the other stuff for a bit) see if frank will sell me an unloaded mod50, then save up and buy my modules. So that way ill have my mod50 and be able to use it and have a good sound while waiting on having a GREAT sound. I sure hope they let me do that. Seriously, going to college and being a gear ***** just dont mix.

xspiderfingersx said:
Seriously, going to college and being a gear ***** just dont mix.

That statement is a total flashback to when I was in college... the first summer I had a paid internship was also the first summer I discovered PRS's, Ibanez signature models, tube amps, and Roland guitar synths. By the end of the summer, I actually had less in the bank than at the beginning of the summer. :p

Funny thing is, all the guidance I got from bandmates once I got out of college was "get all the gear you'd ever want before you get married", so driven by that statement and a full-time income I went completely nuts on gear for about 5 years. Over the past few years I've toned down the spending (something about retiring someday... blah blah blah), but thankfully I met a woman who understands & supports my gear habit.

These days, every major purchase (such as my recent M4 rig) is an elaborate scheme... I put together some massive Excel spreadsheet to prove to myself that if I sold 3 PRS's plus 3 amps plus a handful of FX gear that it would be enough to get the M4 plus all the other goodies for the rack. Of course, the buying always goes faster than the selling, so right now I'm about $3500 in the hole until I get motivated enough to start listing things on e-bay (which will be Monday, no doubt).

I'm just living proof that you never outgrow being a gear *****! Good luck though, on getting the MOD50.

--B

im staring at a wall of guitars that could very easily finance my mod50 and possibly some more fun amp-age, but i cannot bring myself to part with a single one of them, and schemes like the above will help it find its way into my rig! Im very very lucky that my dad is a guitarist, and understands that we sometimes need these things and can help catch my fall if i over extend on gear haha

Ah, the supportive parent is always a good plan B! :)

I actually swore I'd never sell guitars to fund an amp purchase until a couple years ago when I took off my Mesa-blinders and discovered that there were a lot of cool amps to be owned (thanks mostly to a TOL100 I stumbled across). Once I realized my combo-buying habit was going to fill up my basement faster than my guitar-buying habit, that's the time that I discovered the MTS gear and went overboard there...

toweroftone.jpg

--B

outstanding collection you've got there. My dads first amp was a silverface dlx modded to blackface specs and it sounded amazing.

My first large amp was a mesa nomad 100 actually and it sounded awesome, but it broke a lot. Sold that got the RM100, like it a lot, but i want something with fifty instead of 100 watts and something lighter.

But yeah they're not 2000 dollars worth of a plan b, theyre a missed car payment here and there worth of a plan b when i get desperate because somethings on layaway haha!

Good luck with your plan man! As a recent college graduate, I totally feel your pain. If it's any consolation, you could end up like me and land a decent job that pays well and start the gear ***** habit in full force! :lol: I believe I've spent right around $6K+ on gear in the past year.... I never thought I would be able to do that! :wink: Now the problem is that I want just about all the Egnater modules and can't afford them heh! :shock: You'll love the Egnater though, so at least you're saving up for a good cause! :wink:

I know what everyone is saying. I graduated college in 2002 and also thought that I should buy everything I ever wanted before got married. This resulted in me buying:

Guitars:

PRS CE 24
Washburn N4 Paduak
Fender American Standard Strat
Taylor 410
Dean 7-String
Music Man John Petrucci w/ piezo (which Ive since sold)
Suhr Standard

Amps:

Soldano Hot Rod+ XL (since sold)
Soldano SLO (then added depth mod)
Soldano 2x12
Egnater MOD 50

I also had an Uberschall for a day, but returned it

Then, for effects and stuff I bought a G-Major, Ground Control Pro, and a bunch of boutique pedals.

Good lord it hurts to type this out. Now, 99% Im using the Suhr through the Egnater. I just cant bring myself to sell the SLO yet though I really dont need it...

-Matt

With the exception of a nice lp standard or custom style guitar( i really like the edwards stuff) and an all koa acoustic, my guitar list is complete at this point haha. I want to finish this amp tomfoolery as soon as possible and get a set pedal board. Thats why i like the eggie stuff! You can use one head for everything, and not half *** it like most two or three channel amps! I just want to finish it once and for all. GAS will not rule me or my finances haha

wow, good to see I'm not the only on here that blows all thier cash on gear. I got really bad. Maxxed out credit cards, even started using student loans (BAD idea). So one day I looked at my gear I had collected over the previous 5 years and I added up what I spent on it. I had about 10 grand in gear. Incidently, I had over 10 grand in debt. I guess I had sold some of my gear and wasted it on food. Some of the stuff I had was:

Amps:

Rivera m100
Laney VH100R
Mesa triaxis/2:90
marhsall 50/50 poweramp (dont waste your money on those)
Rivera R412 cab
Rivear R410 cab (those are nice)

guitars:

Ibanez 7string
Ibanez 6string
a couple homemade guitars
guild D4 accoustic

Effectgs: Gmajor (I hate it and still do)

One day I was at a guitar store and I was playing a guitar and a line6 amp and I jsut didnt like the sound of the amp. So I passed the guitar off to a friend cuz I was board and he made that amp sound amazing without changing anything on the map. it occured to me that I had been spending more tiem looking for gear than actually playing. I sold off a lot of stuff since then. I bought the randall stuff without hearing it solely on reviews and reputation of egnater. I figured if I didnt like the sound of it I could spend 200 more on a new preamp. My idea was to just buy a simple amp and not use many effects or toys and focus on playing.

At this particular time in my life I have almost paid off all my credit card debt, which has taken me almost 5 years of $275 payments. Its like buying a car. Actually, I pay 267 for my honda civic that I bought new, so its like buying a nicer car than I have now for gear that I dont own anymore. I'm down to:

RM100C + M4
GCX switcher
Gmajor
ground control (old one)

EBMM petrucci 7 string (LOVE IT)
guild D4

I'm almost done with my masters in computer engineering and I'm currently looking for a job. I'm just ready to get out of school and get a full time job with some steady income. Its hard for me to find a balance of gear. If I get too much its a pain to take anywhere, if I spend to much then I feel wasteful, if I go too small I'm not happy. I think everyone including myself on this forum has some serious issues... but its fun aint it?

Cody

I went from 28 guitars to 4 in 3years. . . . ouch. Had to sell to start a studio. Now I want my guitars back :cry:

This thread turned into like AA for gas-aholichs haha! My names dave, and i used to just buy guitar gear socially, but it became my life.

Referencing the namm 07 thread, the TD wont be shipping till spring either way, so it works out even better because thats one of the modules i wanted, and I can just get the head and use my xtc as a bandaid until i get enough for an MHG and then hang out until the td is shipping.

I really didn't start buying much gear until I graduated from college because I simply didn't have the money. I don't even want to know how much I've spent on gear since I graduated, but I've owned many, many guitars and amps.

I'll agree that GAS can actually impede playing time. With all of the internet forums and available info it is even worse.....it's so easy to blow away time that could be spent playing. I recently bought a Cube 30, which was a great investment. It is versatile and sounds good enough for practice, which has lead to increased practice time.

I really wanna cut back inventory sometime in the spring....hope to get several Ebay auctions up if time permits.

Big happy update! I spoke with frank today and theyre fine with my idea. 1200 shipped with out mods and then ill save and buy my mods one at a time and use the one ive been using for my current band. Im soooo just to move to a 50 watt set up and to have that beauty sitting atop my cab! yikes.

So I take it the Egnater guys will do direct to consumer sales?

I think your idea of buying the head now and modules as your budget allows is a great idea!

yeah i wouldnt really consider going through a store if i dont have to. Thats a big part of why i love this product is that i can call in and get frank or bruce direct. That rules

Way to go Spider, I'm happy for you. I was thinking along the same lines but I had heard once they were not to keen on the partial order thing. I am a long time customer though and have recently ordered single channel modules that are working so well I don't even know if I need to get dual mods. WHAT AM I SAYING, of course I need them. Any way I am not far away from $1200. I will have to call and put my order in soon.

As far as GAS goes, I'm 47 so I don't even want to talk about the amount of money I've spent. What bothers me sometimes are the actual pieces I traded or sold just to get the next thing I wanted. On that list would be my 1965 Sunburst Rosewood neck Fender Stratocaster, my 1964 Fender Bandmaster with matching 2X12 cab, 1977 Ibanez Artist 2617 Alder body with MOP inlays, 1985 Marshall 50 watt master volume head and 4X12 cab, 1979 Ibanez Rocket Roll Sr Korina Flying V.

:(

Uggg!

3 Mile Stone, I feel your pain! I've said it many times: I regret just about every piece of gear I've let go, especially guitars. I'm a couple of years older than you and started playing in 1966. To go into all the Strats, LP's, Hofners, and all the others would be a long list, and far too depressing, but the one thing I still wake up every morning missing is my 1973 Rickenbacker 4008 similar to this one:
73ric8.jpg

except mine didn't have the reversed strings.

Oh baby, why did I ever let you go?? :( If daddy knew where you were, he'd come get you!! :cry:

Yes, I too am a gear addict and have put off utility payments to fund my addiction. I recently sold a Soldano HR50+ that I had for about 11 years, to fund my Randall rig. I spent a year and a half reading these **** forums way, way too much. But, since I have had the RM4, I have been spending alot more time playing, including firing it up before work, just to hear it for a few minutes before I leave. Money well spent. Definitely get your gear before a wife. Well, not so much wife, as children. I once had the wife convinced I paid $350 for a Boogie single rec head. Glad to say I am now down to a RM4, Peavey poweramp, and 3 guitars. I carry a cheap modeling preamp and a Crate Powerblock to gigs for a backup.

Thats funny that you say you've read these forums way way too much because as I was typing in this address in IE I was asking myself, "why are you going here??? go play guitar".

I'll do that later,

Cody