Power Attenuator's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slashnstrings

Reaction score
has anyone had any experience with Power Attenuator's :?: ?
like this one for example
http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html

I'm thinking since i can't crank my amp at my apartment and the good bands have dried up for now, it might be something worth while?

thanks

I'd recommend alternate routes:

used rm20: now that the rm22 is out, you can definitely find a deal on this head. Low watts, great for your quiet applications

run your current rm100 on 2 tubes: a pair of 6v6s will sound great and will help your volume control considerably...some say there's only 1 brand of 6v6 that will work, I forget which one (?)
or run yellow jackets. I have a pair of YJ, but haven't had time to use them yet :oops:

I think these lower tube options will yield much better quality then the squished up feel of an attenuater. Also, these Randall heads sound better than other amps quiet and don't require the attenuator IMO...attenuators are better suited for amps like the old JCM800s that are impossible to wrangle in

Not the exact same to thing but has anyone checked out this type of stuff?

http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/B-283+Tube+Processor+Buffer

scroll to the bottom for vids on that link
and us Alberta boys will be happy if you want one of these there right here in calgary

http://www.tubejuiceattenuators.com/buy.html

These are pretty good. They are hard to get sometimes since he hand builds them and only a few at a time.

I've tried them and they are ok some benifits and some drawbacks... even at two perscent a 100 watt head is still pretty loud cranked.

10 watts is half as loud as 100 and 1 watt is half as loud as ten. so even at two watts cranked you will be at a shouting voice to speak over it.

I'd suggest the following for you in your apartment. The neighbors will be happy, and you'll be able to tweak things to your heart's content.

1) Digitech GSP1101
2) a pair of Samson Resolv 65a FRFR monitors.

Rock out.

I've had a THD, Marshall Power Break and a few Weber MiniMass's, the Weber definately keeps your tone intact the most, it also uses a real speaker coil unlike THD or Marshall. Weber's are also the least expensive by far, my 100W MiniMass was only $160 new, plus they have controls for different Ohm speakers and tone controls to help with the tone loss that WILL occur.

I think good attenuators can be great for those times when you need to tame those high wattage beasts. Ive been using hotplates (8 & 16) for a long time and they work pretty decently at light to moderate attenuation but I'm now looking more and more at the Ultimate Attenuator. Sound is supposedly killer and it has some very cool options. Some heavy hitters have given this thing the thumbs up so it looks solid.

Jim Kelley, famous for the ultra rare FACS of the 80's, makes a superb attenuator, good price too - best of the bunch. Wish I could get one in the U.K. It's like really driving it witout driving it. Works amazing.

I used to use a THD Hotplate but in my opinion now a power attenuator is not worth the money. There was actually some tone LOSS when I used one. Just live without it :p

I personally hate attenuators....I think they're all massive tone suckers....My RT2/50 sounds quite good at low levels...Of course it's better at louder ones but I would rather wrestle the volume knob for a bit than plug an attenuator inline...Haven't tried Ultimate Attenuators as yet so maybe they are better...Just my thoughts on it....Attenuators are great in theory, but very impractictical in real situations...

Attenuators were conceived in the 80s when amps only sounded good blasted (i.e. EVH Marshall)- modern amps pack plenty of overdrive at lower levels these days

Modern amps provide much more preamp gain....for those that want power tube distortion, an attenuator is probably the best bet....master volume isn't going to get you there. I'd agree that the old generation attenuators are tone suckers (hotplates, Weber Mass, etc). There are new attenuators hitting the market that, IMHO, are completely transparent. They are pricey, but are pretty stellar in maintaining the tone and feel of the amp. The big 3 now are Aracom, Faustine, and Alex. I personally own an Alex, and it's almost laughable how transparent it is. They're definitely not made for turning a 100watt amp into a bedroom amp, but shaving off some decibels while cooking the power tubes is where they shine.

crankyrayhanky said:
a pair of 6v6s will sound great and will help your volume control considerably...some say there's only 1 brand of 6v6 that will work, I forget which one (?)

okay so who out there know which ones.... typically plate voltages are way too high in 6l6 amps to use 6v6s. If there are some out there that can handle the plate voltage I'd love to try this.

I've always run my 100W with two tubes pulled... I mean who needs a friggen 100W..