Question about ISP Decimator and BBE Sonic Stomp

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsh

Reaction score
I was happy with my NS2 but went ahead and bought a Decimator because I'm a fickleminded GAS addict :oops: (and because a lot of you have been saying such great things about it). So how do I set it up for a high gain RM4 rig? I'd prefer it to sit backstage in a tray in my rig so I don't have to worry about it.

1. Does it go before the Overdrive or after? I have a G-Major in the series loop taking care of the hiss, so just need to control the feedback without killing harmonics.
2. Where do you guys set the threshold?
3. Do I have to turn off the Decimator when I switch to Clean, so it doesnt start eating my notes?

Then, someone has offered me a good deal on a BBE Sonic Stomp. Is it really worth buying for a tube rig? I understand this needs to go in the Series Loop, or is there an alternate location (because the G-major is in the series loop already)? My tone is pretty good, but Mailman used to sing about this all the time, so I'm curious.

Let me know, guys. Thanks!

For the MTS, you'll need the rack unit of teh Sonic Maximizer to run in the loop. Yeah, it's worth it especially if you've got a long cable and pedal run... if you want that sound....

Try it out in the store. I find the settings around 11:00 to be best on the unit.

I owned one and tried it with the LB... it's a great addition especially on Clean and mid gain tones ( IMHO )... but overal I decided I liked the raw LB tones more.

Cheers
Craig

I got a sonic stomp cheap on here the other day, still undecided if I like it AT ALL or not.. That said, that's through my old amp as my RM100 is STILL at the amp repair guy (hurry the hell up m8) but so far, imo, it has seemed pretty gimmicky and solid-state-like.. Chuck it in the loop and turn that "process" knob up and it sounds fkn horrible, like your high end is being churned out through some speaker cones made of aluminium foil. So yeah, undecided if I have a use for it or not yet, if not I shall be selling it off.

Hey Harsha,
I have my BBE Sonic stomp in the loop of the RM 100.
-at 12 and 1 o?clock
perfect for me
:twisted:

did you buy the g-string decimator or standard ?

So I tried to use the Decimator last night and I'm so !/$%& disappointed! Tried to use it before and after the OD pedal, but it does nothing better than the NS2.

If the threshold is below noon, it lets the feedback through between staccato parts. Set it above noon, and it starts eating up my sustain, and kills harmonics. I can set it to suit lead playing or rythm playing at a time, but not together.

What a waste of money!

Seriously, I have had no problems AT ALL with my NS-2, it's been nothing but absolutely perfect. The only time it ever sucks some tone is if the gain is up and I roll my guitar's volume right back for a clean tone, but then you don't really need it on anyway, and on a clean channel at high volumes it doesn't suck the tone at all.
Don't buy into the ISP hype.

Yeah, that was dumb of me to think it was going to be miles ahead of the NS2. And its so much more expensive! I'll try it for a week, and will be sold if I dont see some of those results Decimator fans keep talking about.

love my isp...
I never set it past 11 oclock, so past noon would suck- why so high? Perhaps the volume to room size is way out of wack? I play real loud- over 100 dbs just for daily fiddling, so I'm not a quiet/moderate player

I also set it last on my pedal board if that helps

Nah man, its a nice sized room in a studio. Same volume as what I'd use with the NS2, so thats ruled out.

Just to check we're on the same page - noon means 50%, right?

My ISP is my favorite piece of gear ever. Set it last in your chain, turn the dial to noon - and you're ready to go.

Simple and effective.

Bobby

I have a Decimator G-String. After the little tweaks I did to the rig, it makes an attractive chrome paperweight. I might as well get some use out of it, right? Might need it again some day. If i ever fire up the 5150 again.

I got a Sonic Stomp to use with my Marshall amps. It's cool and all that but I don't really like it. It sits in its box.

However, I also have the D82 Sonic Maximizer Plug-in, and that thing is amazing. I use it with Pro Tools on the Master Fader when things are pretty well polished. And use it to add presence to vocals.

I find the Sonic Maximizer more useful in the studio than live. Remember when you record you record through a mike, not your ear.

ive been happy with my ns2. almost broke down an got an isp cause of the hype, but even with the tone changes i get using the ns2 (100% thres 0%decay) i still get my sound with a lil eqing

the sonic stomp was great w/ my blue voodoo, horrible with my recto, good with my carvin, havnt tried it on the rm, so basically some amps like it some dont. just gotta adj in tiny increments if youre picky like me

oh and i keep my thres hugh cause i use blackouts and always turn off my ns2 during cleans