Rack fx with pedals in a Lynch Box

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raz311

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am trying to decide on whether to ditch my pedals in favour of a rack unit like an Xpression or G Major, or possibly use a midi switcher and router with my existing pedals. (Thanks Ned for answering my questions!). I hate tap dancing but love the sounds of single pedals.

What I was wondering is it still possible to use single pedals in the front end of the amp (ie via input) with a rack unit in the parallel loop without using a switcher? I would only use one or two pedals that I would switch manually anyway. Probably just a wah and tuner, maybe an Octave pedal.

Also on a side note, do those that have used the Xpression and/or G major have any opinions on how good the bypass is when only using your modules?

Cheers
Gav

I have went back and forth, i was using a gcx and ground control pro with all the pedals using midi with a g major, but recently switched to single pedals again, i found its easier to use single pedal for the reason if anything goes out, it doesnt take a lot of time to find the problem, so thats my experience. And single pedal sound better in my opinion.

well...running a gcx will take the pedals out of the signal in the front of the amp...thus making the signal purer. which could relate into better tone.

i use a rg16 to do this very thing, and run my g major in the parallel loop on my rm100. i have a phase 90, flanger, and od in loops 1 -3 on the rg16...and use the rg16 to control the rm100 and g major. works like a charm, takes the pedals out of my signal when there are not being used...and is a cinch to prgram.

there is nothing cooler than to step on one swtich on my ground control pro...and have it turn on my phase 90, switch channels on my rm100, and change a preset in the g major...and hit another switch and have it change to comething completely different.

as RD/Rich would say..."uber versitile."

i also use a 2 gcx and a ground pro with 2 M4's. it is alot easier to adjust a single pedal for me then to program a sound or sounds in a chain on a processor, besides if you change a sound its easier to tweak or change a pedal out for a differnt one then a whole new processor and cheaper,well sometimes...lol buy the way you can add rack units that arent midi and use the gcx to turn effects on or off acting like a pedal or switching channels on your amp if it uses quarter inch jacks. a gcx has so many options you would have to go to voodoo labs web site and check it out. unlimited combinations.

Thanks guys for your replies. I have been looking at the Voodoo labs gear and I think for my budget and needs that might be what I am after. I prefer my single pedals too much I think :). Only deal now is to buy lots-o-cables to hook it all up!

go with 3 foot cables and a rack tray so u can slide it out and adjust the pedals. if you make your own use right angle jacks at the pedal (unless the jacks are in the back). Pedals(phase flange chorus then overdrive,dist)in front of M4 (put M4 inbetween a loop,not in the loop,EX pedals 1,2,3,4,5(instead of short loop cable from 5-6 use the m4 in between)then line level delays, reverb. any questions just pm me. gcx set up can be over whelming at first. if you put the m4 in the loop then that loop # has to be on all the time if that is the only pre you have hooked up. buy alot of 6 inch cables to patch in between the loops,after each loop u have to patch to the next loop.

if you are going to rack mount your effect unit and pedals and run midi into your Lynch Box,then it is the same. some people don't like using the effects loops on them. I have no choice because i do not have an effect loop.

Well I got my GCP and GCX but haven't had time to hook it all up yet. I still need to make some patch leads and such. Will let you know how it all goes!

There Tech support is great. I called and the guy was at lunch and i left a message and within 45 min. he called back and walked me through the setup programing.A 5 or 7 pin midi cable will run the phantom power so all you havve to do is plug in the GCX and midi to GCP and it will power it.

What is the best way to hook up the midi side of the GCX? I want to use the GCP to switch loops on the GCX and Pre Amps on my Lynch Box.
Do I connect the GCP into the Pedal in on the GCX (for phantom power) then from the GCX to the midi in on the Lynch Box?

raz311 said:
What is the best way to hook up the midi side of the GCX? I want to use the GCP to switch loops on the GCX and Pre Amps on my Lynch Box.
Do I connect the GCP into the Pedal in on the GCX (for phantom power) then from the GCX to the midi in on the Lynch Box?

yeah plug the midi out from pedal to midi in on the gcx and midi out (or thru if it has it ) to the randall. mine is like that to the Egnater M4 (2 of them) out to a Carvin Quad X pre amp. On my M4 i had to press the gcp button 1 then press and hold the channel button on my M4 til it blinked (3 seconds) so example go to 124 on gcp and press the channel on your randall and then press and hold the channel button for 3 seconds when you go to 124 on gcp this channel should come up on your randall.