randall RH150 question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityofdawros

Reaction score
hey guys,

I bought an RH150 head with a RS412XJM cab last autumn, I didnt even know this randall forum existed!, I had so many questions and couldnt find many answers but I went ahead and bought it.

My problem is the tone, from what I read about the head it was supposed to have really heavey gain and im just not getting it. Its just not heavey enough

I'm thinking the cab might be the problem

any thoughts or ideas would be really helpfull, thanks

Well maybe its he cab,just ask your dealer if you can try other cabs.But I suggest you to place a compressor on the send and return of your Randall.Maybe with more compression the tone will improve.
First try other cabs,than the compressor.
But if you passed to this amp after the masive use of a distortion pedal,maybe it's just a matter of get used to the sound of the beast.

Keep on rockin man!

yeah this could be a factor, before i bought it i was using a lot fo distortion pedals. but even hearing the RH150 being played on youtube others seem to get a far more heavey sound.

I bought the head and cab online from Europe because gear is twice the price in Ireland. And the nearest shop that stocks Randall gear in 350 miles away from me.

the gain doesnt seem to be as effective as it was when i got it so there might be a problem there

Is there much of a difference in tone from switching from the RS412XJM to say the XL series?

Well,the speakers are different.The XL got 4 Celestion vintage 30,an the other one has got 4 celestion seventy 80.
I use my Randall RH300 G3PLUS with a Marshall Cab,a 1960 Lead.And it sound good.
And I've never tried a Randall cab,but I'm planning to buy an XL as soon as I can.But here in Italy Randall Amps are still not so known.
Well you want some more gain from your amp...Try to use a Boost pedal,like Ibanez tube screamer ora MXR ZW 44.
I don't know man,maybe it's your amp that has got some problems.The other guitar player in my band bought a RH150 G3PLUS two weeks ago,and it really rocks.But ther was a littleproblem maybe from the factory,and Gain 2 was no good.It worked the same time you switch on clean,so my friend was forced to use Gain1 channel(which is real cool of course)and now we're fixing it.
Another solution could be the replacement of the tube.
But first of all,try with a booster pedal,or the replacement of the tube.And even if this don't work,well search for someone in your area that can take a look inside your amp...

well between a Zoom G2G and replacing the tube w/a 12AX7 I should be able to get some rocking metal tones right??I also have a rack system so that will improve the tone to.