Randall RM4 in stereo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrucci

Reaction score
Hi, new member here.
I have a question about the RM4 in "stereo" configuration.
So, the suggested gear: RM4, TC G-Major 2, stereo tube power amp, stereo 412 guitar cab.
The suggested setup: RM4 --> Out / post loop /--> left input; Out / post loop / --> right input of the power amp.
RM4 Series Loop SEND-->TC mono input-->TC mono output-->RM4 Series Loop RETURN.
PA stereo outputs -->stereo guitar cab.

Will I be able to get stereo signal with that configuration?
/ or noobish - will the delay /or the chorus/ goes through the two of the PA chanels?/
I want all tube circuit: preamp-->poweramp and digital's in the loop.
Thank you in advance!
Best regards!

What PA? all you mention is a 4x12
(which, though giving you a left and right source doesn't have enough spread in sound to give a defined stereo effect unless you sit at a distance closer than 3')

The poweramp is an ENGL. And Marshall 1960BV...with the future possibilty for two 212.
All my previous preamps had stereo FX loop /one/two send, two return/.
I have never messed up with that RM4 and I can't try it...

EDIT: RM4 outputs-->G-Major inputs-->G-Major outputs-->ENGL inputs isn't an option to me.

thankyou-thank-you-thanks-ty-smiley-emoticon-000280-large.gif

Petrucci said:
The poweramp is an ENGL. And Marshall 1960BV...with the future possibilty for two 212.
All my previous preamps had stereo FX loop /one/two send, two return/.
I have never messed up with that RM4 and I can't try it...

EDIT: RM4 outputs-->G-Major inputs-->G-Major outputs-->ENGL inputs isn't an option to me.

thankyou-thank-you-thanks-ty-smiley-emoticon-000280-large.gif

using serial loop, you will get 100% wet/dry FX signal, making the parallel loop useless as 100% wet/No dry for stereo effect

I also haven't heard of the TC being a tonesucker, so I fail to see the resistance against going 100% FX

As I said before, I can't try that device.
I supose that these post loop outs are L and R outputs. So if i use only series loop, what's going on with the loop device's signal /G-Major/? Passes that signal through the two chanels of the PA?
Is the series loop only for L output and parallel loop only for R output?
Thanks again!

Petrucci said:
Is the series loop only for L output

No
and parallel loop only for R output?

No

The series and parallel are mono send and returns, yes the RM4 will produce sound at both outputs but this will be 100% identical

so either you remain Mono (with a 4x12 you're not gonna get true stereo imaging anyway),
hook up your Gmajor in line between the RM4 and the poweramp and accept (if) any possible coloration of the sound
or modify your RM4 to accept stereo fx units (if possible)

Part of what you are trying to do is possible and part of it is not.

It is possible to run 2 seperate signals with 1 having the effects. To do this you will need to put the effects unit in one of the effects loops or inline using the post out. The other signal to get just preamp to poweramp you will need to use the pre out on the RM4 and connect it to the other channel of your poweramp.

Here is the signal chain:
Guitar--RM4=Pre loop out--L poweramp input-L out--L cab input
.....................\loop send-Mono mfx input-loop return-Post loop out--R poweramp input-R out--R cab input

Unless you are using a 3rd cab and another poweramp you will not be able to use both post outs to get the stereo effects (L/R) & a dry tone as well. If using a 3rd ab and a dedicated poweramp, then Pre loop out to dedicated poweramp out to dedicated cab. Then both post loop outs, 1 to L of effects & the other to R of effects. Both outs of mfx to L & R of stereo poweramp then out to stereo cab or 2 seperate cabs.

To me it was a hassle & I don't use a lot of effects before or after the preamp. In the mfx delay, chorus, maybe flanger. Before the preamp a boost, phaser, & wah.

Thank you very much for the answers, thank you!

Hamner1 said:
Guitar--RM4=Pre loop out--L poweramp input-L out--L cab input
.....................\loop send-Mono mfx input-loop return-Post loop out--R poweramp input-R out--R cab input

1. Which loop - series or parallel?
2. What about the L chanel - it's going straight to the PA. if it's running alone, can i have delay and chorus there?

Does these configuration /with one stereo cab 412 and mono I/O's of the MFX/ allow me to hear the delay in the four Vintage 30's?

Loop - is up to personal preference. Series you adjust mfx level on mfx. Paralel Loop you can use the effect control to set your effects level. If using paralel loop set mfx to max level. I will see about the rest of your question later. back to work.

:lol: 1st I appologize for my prior post. I had to edit it. My "smart" phone, isn't so smart. It plugs n spanish or portuguesse or something for basic english words I am trying to type. When your phone asks you to add ask, watch, see, etc into the dictionary, I think there is a problem. Yes it is set for english. :lol:

Ok here is what I did to test th pre loop out & the 2 post loop outs.
I plugged the pre loop out directly into the Lexicon omega (to simulate DI to the board/house). I have the Intellifex setup in the parallel loop with the RM4 effects control set at about 10:30. The 2 post loop outs on the RM4 are going to L & R channel of my stereo poweramp. The L&R out of the poweramp is connecting to L&R of the stereo cab.
Result = The pre loop signal (DI) had just the preamp tone with no effects (dry). The cab (both L&R) had the effects (wet).

So all 3 outs on the RM4 will work at the same time. It would be a pain to setup but I imagine you could manipulate these as you wish to suit yor purpose(s). Again the RM4 loops are mono & I believe there was discussion on the board that both would work at the same time. Only problem is both loops woul feed the post outs which means every effect you have in the loops would go to both post outs.

Does the TC have stereo in/outs? Can you assign effects to L only & other effects to the right only? I don't know much about the TC or your setup for live application, but maybe go this route.
* If you are working with 1 cab and want a wet/dry mix, then TC in the parallel loop using mono hookups (this way you can tailor the effects mix to your liking). Either RM4 post out to (wet) side of poweramp & that poweramp out to the (wet) side of cab. Dry signal = RM4 pre loop out to (dry) poweramp side & that out to the (dry) side of cab.

Another option with 1 cab is to run the TC inline. RM4 post loop out (whichever) to mono of TC then mono out to (wet) side of poweramp. The other post loop out direct to the (dry) side of poweramp. Cab hook ups would be the same.

If you are trying to ge a wet/dry mix and get the stereo imaging (ping pong delay, or certain effects 1 side & some the other side, etc) you will need 3 poweramps (or at least a mono & a stereo poweramp) and 3 cabinets (or a mono cab & a stereo cab).

In this scenario:
(Dry) RM4 pre loop out to mono poweramp. Mono poweramp out to center cab.
(Wet) RM4 post loop outs, 1 to the L input of TC & 1 to the R input of TC. L out of TC to L of stereo poweramp and R out of TC to R of stereo poweramp. The L out of stereo poweramp to L cab and R out of stereo poweramp to R cab.

Hopefully that makes sense. Essentially you will have 2 or 3 signals, depending on where you place the mfx unit and the connections, will determine which signal will get some effects, no effects, etc.

I have 1 cab & I tried the Dry/Wet setup & it was ok. With 1 cab I found it easier and not detrimental to my tone to have the Intellifex in the parallel loop & both post outs to L/R of poweramp & L/R out to the cab.

Sorry for the late reply!
@Hamner1, @Nightdare thank you men! I really appraise your posts here.
cheers.gif