Randall RM50S

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalluk

Reaction score
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:46 pm Post subject: Randall RM50S Help....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been eyeing up the Randall RM series for a while now. The idea of having a tube amp capable of modular technology and not the other way around intrigues me. So suffice to say, I finally got one. I've been playing guitar and gigging with 3 different bands and a solo project for over 13 years now. This is my third tube amp. The others' I owned were a Peavey Valveking and a Marshall JTM60. Speaking of the JTM60, how does the JTM45 Mod sound? My main rig is either an ESP LTD EC 400 (EMG 81/60) or Ibanez ART300 (Dimarzio Breed/Evolution) into some EFX. I have a couple questions about the Randall....

1. Can the 50 watt 112 combo handle rehearsals and medium sized gigs? Granted, I know I can always and most likely will, mic the amp? What's a good mic that helps bring this amp to life?

2. I'm looking into getting an ext cab possibly 112 or 212. Can the RM50 handle a 212 ext cab or should I just stick with a 112 ext cab? Any suggestions?

3. From the reviews on this amp I read, do I need switch out the tubes or speaker anytime soon?

4. What are some good mods to get? I play more modern rock/alternative stuff in the vein of 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Fuel, Seven Mary Three, Alter Bridge, Live, Collective Soul, basically any 90's grunge/pop rock band.

Right now, I have the Blackface, Clean and Modern mods. I got the Blackface b/c the Clean mod was way to sterile for me. I read a lot of good reviews on the Clean, yet it did nothing for me. Very disappointing. I'm waiting on the Blackface to come in. So, in other words I'm good on the clean setting. Now in terms of distortion/OD...... The modern is nothing great. It's high gain so I can do some nice tricks with it, but I need a smooth, sustain ROCK tone.

I'm looking into either the Recto, XTC or SL+? How about the Plexi, Brown or Ultra mods? What would one recommend for my style. I plan on using it for BOTH lead and rhythm. I have an Ibanez TS9DX tube screamer and a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah for a boost pedal.

5. Possible thrid channel? Since mine is a two channel amp, what can I do to get that precious third channel without having to upgrade my amp? Should I just run a distortion pedal through the clean channel to give me a crunch/sustain for lead? What pedals work really well with this amp? I'm thinking about leaning towards either the JEckyl and Hyde or Pro Co Rat. Do I even need a pedal with this amp?

6. Like I said, I've been eyeing this amp for a while. I'm talking a couple years. I've read numerous reviews and spoke in depth with a friend of mine who uses this amp for his band. What can you tell me about this amp that I haven't already read, experienced or heard?

After playing this amp for a couple days now. I'm stoked. Can't wait for the Blackface mod to come and to get a nice distortion mod. Thanks.

I just awoke from a scary dream- here I am, I'll give me thoughts

1. Can the 50 watt 112 combo handle rehearsals and medium sized gigs? Granted, I know I can always and most likely will, mic the amp?
I see no reason why not. Unless you're band who is in a loudness war, and you're battling a second guitar player who has a double stack and flexes its power. I used a Orange Tiny Terror 15 watt head and battled a 150w Peavey xxx- both of us use 4x12- and I was plenty loud with room to spare. 50 is not half as loud as 100- you'll be fine. Just make sure you're elevated, or have an angle stand.

I find soundpeople at gigs require/demand much less volume.

What's a good mic that helps bring this amp to life?
No need to recreate the wheel, a 57 is standard. (2) 57s next to each other sound better.
Ribbons are back in vogue for a reason- they rock on guitars (and horns). Royer 121 is the Super Standard. I use a Crowley Tripp Naked Eye and it is awesome, much less than the Royer and arguably as good. Naked Eye Roswellite is pefect if you're interested in super alien technology for road wear and tear. Or grab a Fathead cheap cheap, pair it up with a 57.

2. I'm looking into getting an ext cab possibly 112 or 212. Can the RM50 handle a 212 ext cab or should I just stick with a 112 ext cab? Any suggestions?
My only thought is to go high end here, don't skimp- no reason to have equal or less quality than your first speaker that serves volume purposes only. Get something great and while you're saving up, you'll be fine with you're combo

3. From the reviews on this amp I read, do I need switch out the tubes or speaker anytime soon?
If it sounds good, it is good. Pro giggers and studio masters will have a suggested timeline to swap out tubes.

4. What are some good mods to get? I play more modern rock/alternative stuff in the vein of 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Fuel, Seven Mary Three, Alter Bridge, Live, Collective Soul, basically any 90's grunge/pop rock band.
My newly acquired single channel EG5 is awesome- makes me think that if you can find an Egnator single channel- get it.
My modded Brown sounds very much like Collective Soul's sound as well as you know who. Excellent module and discontinued, so watch like a hawk

I'm looking into either the Recto, XTC or SL+?
I have them all stock. Many don't like them until they get modded. I found a good use for them- check out my thread in the rigs and tones area. The XTC is just ok for rhythms- but it will give that Vai solo sound.
The good news is these modules are all good platforms for modifications, so there's room to grow here.

Should I just run a distortion pedal through the clean channel to give me a crunch/sustain for lead?
I don't recommed this. I f you want to add a pedal for slight distortion boost/tone, it's wonderful. But putting on a clean setting to crank up a Rat distortion is not a good tone. Gentle approach with added overdrive pedals.

Do I even need a pedal with this amp?
Need? No. Plenty of saturation, especially at high volumes. But a pedal with minimal distortion will give a cool attack and provide a tonal pallette. I use a ZWylde overdrive which gives that Zakk sound. My Fulltone is great on those modules that appear to have plenty, but this will give it such rich harmonics and full bodied sustain on leads. Check out their line; high end, very cool.

What can you tell me about this amp that I haven't already read, experienced or heard?
Moderate settings, hover generally around noon on the eq- no need to outthink yourself, this is a great amp.

After playing this amp for a couple days now. I'm stoked.
I daydream/dream of modules & modifications all day & night!

-Ray
After this long winded response, I feel like I need to give credits/references :shock:

Latest posts