RM100 Brain Surgery

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the leads aren't touching anything but the cap itself and the solder pads. However, the cap's body is touching both pots. Would that cause noise?

you guys talk of a more mature voiced amp..well today I tried an egnater combo with a Bman and a Vox module in it. Quite good and less Ratty than my rm4...can you guys account for that?
Mature was a good way to decribe the egnater combo. (Just wish I had $1,500 for it!!!!)
George

Well, from what I've heard, the differences in the Egnater and the Randall are this:

1: Different component values, with the Egnater tweaked for more of a rock/blues/jazz setting and the Randalls tweaked for a rock/metal player.

2: Carbon Comp resistors as opposed to Carbon Film and Metal Oxide. This will provide more resistor distortion in certain places in the circuitry, giving a certain "mojo".

3: Relays as opposed to opticouplers. All those little black things (usually like 3 or 4 on a module) are opticouplers, and they serve the same purpose as relays in a more traditional amp, but they have a smaller footprint and I believe are more specifically tuned for MIDI usage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

All of these together could account for a fuller, warmer, sweeter voiced amp that's a bit more "boutique" and "mature" sounding.

Alright, so I've FINALLY gotten to replacing the caps that correlate to the power tubes and after replacing 3 of them, it occurred to me that the Red Wimas I've decided to use instead of the SoZos have a 400v handling, while the Xicon caps I'm replacing have a 630v handling.

Will this difference in power handling affect the amp? Should I go ahead and put the SoZos, or even some Orange Drops in there instead?

I might make an order from Mouser or Digikey soon so I'll make sure and order some higher voltage Red Wimas if need be. One can never have too much experience inside an amp head :D

Not sure if anybody is even reading anymore but...

Got it back together!

No sound :(

So I gotta take her BACK apart and look for anything I might have left unplugged or plugged back in to the wrong place...

Then I gotta make sure all the parts are soldered in properly, and make sure nothing is shorting out or that I haven't fucked up any traces.

:( I fail at amp repair.

Shinozoku said:
Not sure if anybody is even reading anymore but...

Got it back together!

No sound :(

So I gotta take her BACK apart and look for anything I might have left unplugged or plugged back in to the wrong place...

Then I gotta make sure all the parts are soldered in properly, and make sure nothing is shorting out or that I haven't f&(%ed up any traces.

:( I fail at amp repair.

****....Rob can fix it!!! But the larger cap values are fine as far as I know...It's when they're smaller when problems arise...

I USED smaller voltage handling ;) I'm told by other sources it should be fine, but I'm gonna put the old ones back in after making sure I've not crossed wires or something else.

IT'S ALIVE! Yeah, took me a fvcking year, but my amp is back in business! That Auricap that I had to modify to fit in board C was shorting out on pin 6 of the V1 tube. My baby works again 8) Just had to take a bit of a break from her to get the spark back!

Oh snap :lol: Like I remember!

Stock: Murky, like there was a wool blanket over the speakers. most of the high gainers sounded the same.

Changed tubes: Added clarity, definition between the modules, sparkle, and bite.

Changed caps: Added some warmth, altered the tone slightly and smoothed it out. Like I mentioned before, it's a bit more "mature" sounding. Of course, I've come full circle to wanting an "immature" sounding amplifier again... :lol: Either way, I like it! Gotta try tweaking my modules some more, especially the Ultra XL. It's missing something in the midrange. I need to see what all ways I can shift its response.

Latest posts