RM100 Headaches and Gut Punches.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boned

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well, i have been s frustrated with this amp that i just been letting it sit and take up space because every time i go near it it cost me money.

Let me explain.

I bought this amp over a year ago from ebay, the amp seemed to be in excellent condition, with the seller stating they had not put many hours on the amp. It seemed like a good deal since it was loaded with 3 nice modules and looked as new.
i bought it for just under a thousand, and with new ones being 1800 i thought it was a good deal.

When i got the amp it worked fine, i used it at band practice 2 times and everything worked.

Then the pain began.
Next practice it blew a tube fuse, can't find these fuses locally anywhere so after driving around half the day, practice was canceled cause i had no amp now.
so i found this forum and read up as much as possible to get the correct fuses for it ect..
I ordered them from digikey, since it makes sense to just get a handfull
at a time i bought a bag of them, for i don't remember but like 10 - 20 bucks.

While those were on the way, i read about if fuses blow could be a problem with the tubes, so to make sure i decided to order a whole new quad of tubes at another 80 or so bucks.

So i get everything, change the tubes and fuses am thinking ok, she should be tip top, next practice the amp works great for about an hour.
sounds good having fun then all of a sudden it drops volume.
Just a whisper of sound, and i am like WTF!?

Were not even playing very loud, in my friends living room!!
So i start checking cords, my guitar, switching guitars, sure enough it is the head.

So now i'm like, what the hell do i do.

I decide it's best to call a tech..

After 400+ dollars of service ( another new set of tubes as well )
It had blown a cap in the tube section like many others post i've seen here, plus since that blew it also blew something else even deeper in the amp, the tech said he had to take the whole thing apart, and remove all the boards to check everything - why the cost was so high, was partly the tubes, but also the hours it took to disassemble and reassemble the thing.

He did call me when he had it apart to warn me, that just getting the thing apart was massively time consuming, and that the fix would actually be easy but the taking i apart was chewing up hours.

I almost told him to just stop as it was already close to 200 dollars in hours time, and he still had to put it back together.

He didn't want to have to charge me that and not finish or actually fix the amp, so he kinda cut some time off of it, and in total with tubes it cost like 400 + dollars. And took 3-4 weeks.

Ok so that sucked, so now the amp has cost me about 15-16 hundred dollars.
And i got to use it 3 times. :cry:

So i'm like ok this thing should be tip top now - i take it to practice sounds good !!

So my drummers wife is getting a little annoyed and we can't practice at his house any more, so we don't practice for about 2 months till we got a place.

This amp sat all by itself, covered up so as not to get dust on it totally undisturbed the entire time....

Once we get a place to practice, i'm like excited to play this thing after all the waiting and money.

Get it all set up, star tuning my guitar and dialing in my sound at just medium volume and all i did was strum a few chords then all of a sudden, no sound!!!!!

Not only no sound, but totally dead amp Totally Dead, no lights no power nothing.

So now i'm pisssed beyond belief, and i don't really think it has anything to do with the maintenance performed on the amp, and anyway months had gone by and was not going to go to the tech and tell him well i got to turn it on twice in the last few months and now it's totally dead.

Anyway, i checked the fuse where to power cord goes sure enough it had blown.

So again, practice interrupted by this thing.
I had to go and order another handfull of fuses from digikey, got the exact correct fuse and put it in.

Nothing, totally dead - at this point, there's no way i'm opening up this piece of **** amp.
It's sitting on my floor now for about 6 months, this thing that cost now almost close to the cost of a new one and i got to use it 3 times.

I can't even afford the energy to pick the dame thing up anymore to toss it in the trash it's so heavy.

By comparison, my old Peavey has lasted something like 16 years with the ORIGINAL tubes in it, and i never had to service the thing once, and it had been thru hell. (still works by the way and cost me a grand total of about 550 bucks) ... it's lifetime.

I want to get rid of this piece of ****, but can't in good conscience try to get it working and sell it to some poor chump as a problem free amp.
No way in hell.

The best i can do is probably dump it on a pawn shop or guitar center and get next to nothing for something that cost near 1600 bucks.

Since i have almost the cost of a new Rm100 invested in it i wish i bought it new so i could just have returned it but now i'm stuck with a non working 1600 dollar brand new looking piece of junk.

Randall, i want my money back for this utter piece of garbage.
Seriously used or not this thing is a total fail that should be recalled anyway by the sheer number of problems reported by now with them.

Everytime i see someone post somewhere they just got a new Randall RM100 and they are so happy, i feel really sorry for them.
Yet have never said anything or bad mouthed your company till now.

Plain and simple, a well built tube amp can last near 20 years with no problems or even a tube change.

This thing has been Nothing but problems (for me), and a huge money sink, from day one.

That being said if anyone thinks i am a dumbass because it's probably only yet another fuse somewhere, this thing is for sale as is and stated with a new set of 140 dollar EL34B tubes and in near mint cosmetic condition. 1086, Ultra Plus and Blackface modules.

I would like just 500 dollars for it, to retain a shred of my dignity.

Thanks for listening to my rant, i want this thing out of my living room cause every time i look at it it feels like someones poking me in the ***.

Sorry for such a long post.

I am curious if el34s or e34ls were the tubes you kept blowing and replacing (you mentioned it has them in there now)...if so, that is most likely the cause of your heartache, and it has happened to every amp on the planet. Bad batch of 34s have been in circulation for the last year or two, so user beware. Best to get 6L6s or anything that is not 34s.

Also, was this tech Randall certified? The story sort of sounds like he wasn't the most experienced on these amps.

Terrible story, hope you get an amp that revives your guitar passion.

Thanks,
Yes they all have been EL type -
In my experience it not really EL34 per se that have the problems but rather Chinese made EL34's IE: JJ's ect.
JJ's are ****, i got bad sets of JJ's in the past. El34 AND 6L6 actually.

Tung Sols are Russian made, This last set of tubes have no problem, and were quite expensive. The tech agreed on the Chinese and JJ tubes, he only uses Russian made in his experience he has had least problems with them.

The tech did get the schematics direct from Randall, but Randall certified no.
Not much choice in my area anyway, there's only a few guys that i can find that do any repairs on amps period, and this guy is one of the best or at least highly recommended. Local music stores use him for their repairs.

So not much of a choice that i could find, unless i wanted to ship the amp somewhere.

First times around was very likely the JJ's, this time imo is just the shitty design of the amp. (edit actually the very first time it started a problem was stock tubes anyway before i even got the JJ's.)

But i'd like to say, that the idea for this amp is quite possibly the best to come around in tube amps since they started, great idea, bad implimentation i guess.

#1 there is Waaay to many fuses in the thing, as well as so much crammed into the inside that having to take it apart to pop in a single **** fuse is not only stupid but dangerous, especially if you have guys that aren't experienced digging around in there trying to do things themselves.

That sucks

where have you seen here reports of caps blowing?

If you ship it to Randall they can fix it 9 times out of 10 for the flat bench fee of I think 150$. If it's more they can contact you first. Might not hurt to call them and explain

if you want to sell it for parts I might be interested in the shell or metal grill at least

lolthrash said:
Since when are JJ tubes Chinese?
Aren't they in fact made in Russia?

Yea your right, actually i don't know why i was thinking that.

must be all the chinese crap we use on a daily basis, usually when somethings a piece of crap if you flip it over it says made in china, you kinda get used to it.

guess i was insensitive and prejudged, lol.

MegaGoo said:
That sucks

where have you seen here reports of caps blowing?

If you ship it to Randall they can fix it 9 times out of 10 for the flat bench fee of I think 150$. If it's more they can contact you first. Might not hurt to call them and explain

if you want to sell it for parts I might be interested in the shell or metal grill at least

There is enough posts here and around.

I don't think it's worth the effort, i believe or at least am not willing to take a chance on it continually having problems.

i'm sure there's a lot that don't have problems too, yet.

i'm not an engineer but it seems to me it's very delicate and finicky, there's a lot of boards crammed in there, and heat and so forth as well it has a ton of juice running thru it. fuse city et all...

no way i would gig it.

did i mention it weighs a freeking ton. :D

objectivley,
my negativity is typical of anyone having a bad experience.
but my perception is these amps will tend to be problematic.

case in point the bad JJ 6L6 i spoke above went into my Peavey and redplated as i was playing, all of a sudden my amp stared ( to actually sound godlike ) then smell of smoke.

I shut it down asap, but thought **** that's probably done.

nope, got rid of jj's for good then that's that, got new tubes and she works just fine, the randall imo would have **** the bed. :lol:

sounds like you got a dud. Ive been rockin mine for over a year now without problems beyond a couple blown fuses one week.

Dude, that blows! I have had mine for 5 years with one problem, I had the 1st fuse blow like yours did sent it to randall, all it was was a dry solder spot. Maybe that's the same problem with yours, I was using EL34s with mine and that's what made it blow up. So I switched to mesa tubes. 6L6s with no problems since, the only thing I have changed out is the preamp tubes since then. To bad for your luck man, those are some awesome modules you have to. It just sucks!

Can someone who's been inside a rm100 confirm or deny the crammed nature claim?

What's Randall's policy if you buy an amp new and something's wrong (like a cold solder joint or whatever simple thing) and you send it to them to fix? I assume they'd fix it free of charge because it was an error in manufacturing?
What if you live outside the USA?

I feel for you. I went through that with a Marshall except I'd bought it new and I got a warranty exchange, and got the Lynch Box (new) as a replacement. The Marshall lasted less than 6 months.

I've got a Fender HRDv downstairs that has a dynamite clean channel, and it's okay on the drive with low breakup and a tubescreamer, but the channel switch doesn't work... it sticks and sometimes kicks over and sometimes not.

My LB has been good so far -- tubes excepted: on my third set of power tubes, and we're setting a record @ 6 months.

I still have a Peavey 6505+ that's been an extra shelf since I got the LB. It's a good amp but it's a one trick pony ==> metal, and since my "high gain" module at the moment is the Brahma, that'll tell you what I play mostly.

If you live outside the US they'll have you send it to the company that administers their warranty in your region. Much like Marshall UK uses Korg USA for that.

MegaGoo said:

I've had mine open a few times. I don't think it is any more or less crammed than anything else with this much technology behind it. Crammed is a pretty vague and relative term, don't you think? I mean compared to a hand wired amp or something out of the 60's yeah its crammed. But then again, my plasma TV is a nightmare compared to the black and white I had growing up. Apples to apples, I don't think it's crammed.

Aaronharmon said:
MegaGoo said:

I've had mine open a few times. I don't think it is any more or less crammed than anything else with this much technology behind it. Crammed is a pretty vague and relative term, don't you think? I mean compared to a hand wired amp or something out of the 60's yeah its crammed. But then again, my plasma TV is a nightmare compared to the black and white I had growing up. Apples to apples, I don't think it's crammed.

you don't take your plasma to gigs either, it sits in one place all the time and you pussy foot around it cause it cost a shitload of cash :lol:

figure of speech, but you said it yourself there's a lot going on in there.
there's a lot to this amp, therefore it's pretty 'crammed' or rather neatly arranged with stuff to make it all work.

however to me, I saw it open, it's pretty packed.

curious, why have you had it open a few times?

Boned said:
Aaronharmon said:
MegaGoo said:

you don't take your plasma to gigs either, it sits in one place all the time and you pussy foot around it cause it cost a shitload of cash :lol:

figure of speech, but you said it yourself there's a lot going on in there.
there's a lot to this amp, therefore it's pretty 'crammed' or rather neatly arranged with stuff to make it all work.

however to me, I saw it open, it's pretty packed.

curious, why have you had it open a few times?

I blew the midi board the first time I ever turned it on. It was my own fault. I ignored the warnings about plugging it in and unplugging it with the power on. Randall sent me replacement parts free of charge, Very cool of them.

Latest posts