rm100kh fx loop problem (resolved)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok received amp today. finally fixed. its been 3 months since i originally discovered the problem and started the process of getting it resolved.

recap:

i bought my rm100kh used but in mint cond. owned for 3 weeks before discovering the fx loops didnt work

shipped to randall. they had it from 3/10 - 4/7. received back and the problem wasnt fixed. they did fix something apparently but it wasnt my fx loop problem.

turned around and shipped it back to them 3 days later

they had it again from 4/14 until 5/18. when i got it back the repair detail was dated 5/5 i believe. so they held it for 2 weeks before shipping it back to me

so all in all, its been under repair for about 10 weeks. ryan in customer service would have various reasons for the slow turn-around. new owners, meetings, unexpected inventory. etc etc.

i received it back and yay the parallel fx loop worked. lets try the serial. no it did not work. in disbelief and slowly realizing i would have to go through all this **** a third time, i decide to open it up and see if there is just a loose connection because thats about all i could possibly fix myself. answer: yes there was a loose connection. the wire going from the pcb under the FX MIX knob had come out. i place back in and put her together. still didnt work! i thought to myself that either they didnt fix the problem, or the wire came out during me putting the chassis back into the box, which is probably what had happened in the first place at the factory. i open her up and yep, wire is disconnected again. this time i put a tiny smear of gorilla glue across the male/female connectors for this particular cable. put her back together and, for the first time, it worked. i knew i wasnt crazy that my rack gear was always fine.

only problem is the input of the rack fx unit is clipping bad from the signal being fed to it. ill worry about that later

for the record, when i opened it up and looked around, it looks like they jumpered a connection on the pcb. hard to tell exactly where to/from it is, but it doesnt matter. i dont know what caused it but i can hope that i never have any further problems or if i do, turn around is better

VitaminG said:
does your rack unit have a +4/-10 input setting?

not that i know of. the fx sends are +4, right? would need to get that ebtech lineshifter or similar. kinda wanna get a gt-8 but i think i'd have the same problem

I just looked back at your older posts - you're using a gsp2101? I have an old digitech studio quad4 & I know you can change that from +4 to -10 in the global settings. You might have to check your manual

I will tell you this... if you run the modules hotter that noon on the volume, ESPECIALLY a clean module like the KH1 you will clip your rack unit. People have had this problem on a number other brand multi channel amps that have channel masters in addition to the main master volume. Solution is to turn down the channel and if you need the volume turn up the main master.

But this can make a clean like a KH1 too soft when you're not digging in. So this is why I dropped a dbx 166xl first in line in the effects loop -- I only use the serial loop anyway because I do the wet/dry mixing in the MFX unit.

yea a gsp2101. dont see any mention in the manual of this and i poked through for a second and did not find this setting

Latest posts