RM20/22 Series Loop with Time Based Effects

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave-The-Fot

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying an RM22 when they become available in Australia.

I noticed these only have series loops, and not the parallel loops like the RM100

I have 4 pedals that I use. Eventide's Timefactor, Modfactor and Pitchfactor, plus an MXR-GT OD.

I was curious if anyone has had experience with time based effects in the series loop?

If it's not practical to put the time based effects (pitchfactor and timefactor) in the series loop, would I be better off looking at an RM50 which has the parallel loop?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Dave-The-Fot said:
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying an RM22 when they become available in Australia.

I noticed these only have series loops, and not the parallel loops like the RM100

I have 4 pedals that I use. Eventide's Timefactor, Modfactor and Pitchfactor, plus an MXR-GT OD.

I was curious if anyone has had experience with time based effects in the series loop?

If it's not practical to put the time based effects (pitchfactor and timefactor) in the series loop, would I be better off looking at an RM50 which has the parallel loop?

Thanks for you help in advance.

You can put just about anything in the series loop. It's the parallel loop that's a little picky.

Yeah?

I always thought it was the other way around. That all time based effects should go in the parallel loop.

Dave-The-Fot said:
Yeah?

I always thought it was the other way around. That all time based effects should go in the parallel loop.

Yes, time based effects go in the parallel loop (if you have one). But other effects do not work as well in the parallel loop. That's why I said it is a little picky. You can put just about anything in the series loop (including the time based effects.) The advantage to putting the time based effects into the parallel loop is that you can mix the wet signal back into your unaltered tone to your desired degree without affecting the dry tone (the wet tone is played along side (parallel to) the dry tone with it's own volume control called "effect".) For that to work the effect has to have a wet/dry mix or separate volumes or outputs for the wet and dry tone.

I use my time based effects in my Serial Loop because I like to control the wet/dry mix on my effects unit rather than have to adjust it on the amp, since I may have the same effect with several wet/dry mixes. This seems to work fine and is pretty much the easy way out.

This is especially true if I'm running both a delay and reverb as parallel effects in the effects unit, or running a delay with a tremolo. Or tremolo with a reverb.

But I'm using a multi-effects unit which has other stuff besides reverb and delay.

Julia said:
I use my time based effects in my Serial Loop because I like to control the wet/dry mix on my effects unit rather than have to adjust it on the amp, since I may have the same effect with several wet/dry mixes. This seems to work fine and is pretty much the easy way out.

This is especially true if I'm running both a delay and reverb as parallel effects in the effects unit, or running a delay with a tremolo. Or tremolo with a reverb.

But I'm using a multi-effects unit which has other stuff besides reverb and delay.

Tremolo would definitely work best in series or even in front of the amp.

Can't run the tremolo in front except with a stomp box. My rack unit doesn't do the 4 cable method, so they all go in the serial loop. Only stuff in front is OD, fuzz and wah. Mostly using just a light reverb on top of a Strat and KH1 being pushed with a TS808RI (drive on 10:00) as of late. Sounds good with the FX unit doing a 15% wet mix. Very touch sensitive this way. Love the headroom with the 6550s -- they stay dead clean.

Julia said:
Can't run the tremolo in front except with a stomp box. My rack unit doesn't do the 4 cable method, so they all go in the serial loop. Only stuff in front is OD, fuzz and wah. Mostly using just a light reverb on top of a Strat and KH1 being pushed with a TS808RI (drive on 10:00) as of late. Sounds good with the FX unit doing a 15% wet mix. Very touch sensitive this way. Love the headroom with the 6550s -- they stay dead clean.

Yeah, I meant as a stompbox. I have recently come down with a pretty severe case of GAS for stompboxes. I don't have any rack stuff and to be truthful, I really don't want to start getting it. My bank account has taken enough of a beating over the last year or so. :D