RM4 and RT-2 50 Troubleshooting Help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Dangerouso

Reaction score
Hey Guys....I looking for some help with the troubleshooting my RM4 and RT-2 50. Symptoms and circumstances were as follows:

My RM4 just powered down while I was changing out guitars. I was using a planet waves breaker cable. Hit the button, pulled the plug, plugged it in to the next guitar, and looked back up with no modules alight on the RM4. Powered everything down and brought it back up. The system now has an awful static hiss, gets louder when I switch to the higher gain modules. Sometimes seems like it's trying to go away, almost like a gated reverb, then stops that and goes full tilt with the static.

At this point, based on the circumstances, I'm assuming I've got an RM4 problem of some type, but I'm not sure the best way to go troubleshooting. The only thing for certain is I don't want to make anything worse.

Help most definitely appreciated, I'm worried sick.

Check to make sure all the modules are seated. My initial thought is a bad tube.

Entire system. I did leave out what may or may not be an important word. The static seems to want to stop sounding like a gated REVERSE reverb. I'll check the seating of all the modules and channel switch the power amp to see if that pull a bad tube out of the signal path. Thanks for the help.

So, I did have a chance to check everything out as I said in the last post. The problem is in the entire system and persists even when switching between 6L6 and EL34 channels on the power amp. Static is non-existent or at least, very minimal, on power up. It then gets progressively worse as the system warms up. On the high gain modules (in this case XTC and 1086) the static is horrific. Much worse than the Blackface and Deluxe. All this leads me to believe that it's definitely in the RM4, maybe one of the 12AX7s? What should I check next? I do have a voltmeter, but no kind of electronics skills. Thanks again for all the help.