RM50 Combo to Head Conversion?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkywrench

Reaction score
I'm trying to move from a combo to a head/cab setup and I'm looking into alternatives to selling my RM50 combo and buying an RM50 head.

I know a few guys on here have done the RM50 combo conversion so I'm just wondering how you get around the "upside" down factor of the components hanging down in the combo and the components pointing up in the head?

Do you install the chassis in the head so the controls are at the top of the headshell or is there another option?

It's not upside down. The head has the same chassis arrangement.

Or you could do like I did and get both :D

It's a hell of a lot of work. Also, some of those electronics, and of course the tubes themselves, are delicate and can easily be broken when removing.
I converted one. I wouldn't do it again.

SteelDragon said:
It's a hell of a lot of work. Also, some of those electronics, and of course the tubes themselves, are delicate and can easily be broken when removing.

...isn't that why we remove the tubes first?!

It's not that hard to yank the chassis. Once the tubes are out and everything's unplugged, all of the other parts are recessed. I'd imagine the wood cabinet would be the hardest thing to build.

wesarvin said:
SteelDragon said:

Come on, man... no one is that dumb! Of course, I took the tubes out first. Those tubes are frigging delicate, I've had them crack by gently twisting it to remove it.
The work comes in when you cut that frigging combo down to amp head-size and retolex it... but then again, I'm not much of a handy man. :x

SteelDragon said:
wesarvin said:
SteelDragon said:

Come on, man... no one is that dumb! Of course, I took the tubes out first. Those tubes are frigging delicate, I've had them crack by gently twisting it to remove it.
The work comes in when you cut that frigging combo down to amp head-size and retolex it... but then again, I'm not much of a handy man. :x

Totally understandable! I broke the center post of a power tube once. Didn't know it until a fuse blew and the tube had a cloud inside of it!