RM50 combo...What speakers

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarGuyLP

Reaction score
I have an RM50 combo on the way. I have never been a fan of T75s. I am looking for some recomendations. Modules will be SG XTC, SG Diablo, and Salvation Chupacabra.

I am thinking an Eminence Governor, Wizard, or Lynch super V.

Anyone try anything different with good results??

I recently changed out the stock speaker in one of my RM50s to a Avatar Hellatone 60. It's a 60 watt, burned-in, Vintage 30 Celestion.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
It's greasier sounding and focuses on higher midrange frequencies. I used to really have to boost my mid knobs to get what I like. I don't have to do that anymore.

I had a WGS et65 in my rm50 and I liked it a lot. It's not to terribly diferent from the g12t but is a lot smoother. Not as spiked highs and a bit less bass. I actually bought it for a different amp, but put it in the rm to break it in. Only took a few hours to break in. I would like to try a lynch as well.

I had a lynch super v in my rm50 combo but found it had a lot of cone cry. I replaced it with a WGS 65. It was warm but not alive enough. I then replaced that with a WGS British Lead... couldn't be happier. Very even sounding and balanced highs mids and lows, but still has that Celestion British flavor. Highly recommended for blues/rock high gain and decent clean tones

I have an RM50 head and two Mesa 1x12s. Initially I used the stock Celestion Black Shadow C90s, then switched one out for a WGS Veteran 30. An improvement, so I decided to try something different in the other cab and went with the WGS ET65. My favorite by far. I just picked up a Randall RV112GBBP cab that was a good deal, it's closed back and stacks nicely with the head. Just started playing through it's stock Celestion Greenback but so far I'm leaning towards swapping it out with the ET65, the matching cabinet should have the best speaker match in it and that's the best I've heard so far.

Thanks for all the advice. Basically once I get it I will be trying every speaker I have in the cab. I have the following speakers

Eminence Delta Pro 12a (EVM12L clone)
Eminence Lynch super v
Mesa/Celestion MC-90
WGS ET65

I am thinking once I try those I will have an idea of what will sound good. I have always liked eminence speakers so if one of those doesn't cut it I might get a wizard, or governor. I have also been reading some great things about the Jensen Electric Lightning. There are so many options!!!

GuitarGuyLP said:
Thanks for all the advice. Basically once I get it I will be trying every speaker I have in the cab. I have the following speakers

Eminence Delta Pro 12a (EVM12L clone)
Eminence Lynch super v
Mesa/Celestion MC-90
WGS ET65

I am thinking once I try those I will have an idea of what will sound good. I have always liked eminence speakers so if one of those doesn't cut it I might get a wizard, or governor. I have also been reading some great things about the Jensen Electric Lightning. There are so many options!!!
I also forgot to mention that I also use a Delta Pro as well sometimes in an open back cab. It also sounds great with the RM50 although it's a little cleaner

I have used a Warehouse ET65, CL80, and a Super V in the combo's I had. I would rate them 65, V, and 80 going from the top choice down.

Asking one question: home or gigging? It's okay to say for home.

Home: I'd go with a Hellatone 30. Yes I know it's only 30W but you won't be turning up the amp that high anyway. You'll get cone breakup earlier. It's a Celestion G12H30.

Gigging: Hellatone 60.

I just decided to buy a Scumback XH75-LHDC. From what I have read about it, and what Jim at Scumback told me about it it sounds like a bigger, louder H75-LHDC which is close to an H30 with a large dust cap to keep it tighter, and roll off the highs a bit, plus with 101 db efficiency it should make that open back combo extremely loud!!!!

GuitarGuyLP said:
I just decided to buy a Scumback XH75-LHDC. From what I have read about it, and what Jim at Scumback told me about it it sounds like a bigger, louder H75-LHDC which is close to an H30 with a large dust cap to keep it tighter, and roll off the highs a bit, plus with 101 db efficiency it should make that open back combo extremely loud!!!!

Let us know how it sounds when you get it! I've often toyed with the idea of putting a Scumback into my RM50 combo, but I've never followed through with it!

I will say I put a Scumback M75-LHDC in my RM20 combo for a while, and it sounded great!!! I sold those two to pay for some modules, I just bought the XH75-LHDC it is a beast of a speaker!!! I will report back about it, but since it is a discontinued model I am not sure how much good it will do.

That being said there are some demo scumbacks for sale in the scumback forums on Rig Talk. Here is a link to the thread. The only XH-75 left is mine!!!

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=106721

The M75s are a bit of a darker speaker compared to the H75, or the XH75. There is a reason that Jim's speakers have such a following.

I just swapped out the G1275 with a WGS Retro 30 in my RM50. Nice versitile speaker in the combo so far.

G12-75 - razor sharp sizzle with a boomy low mid end. ?After a bit of playing, my ears fatigue with the ice pick type sound on the sizzling highs. ?One trick pony? ?The one trick it does have is pairing well with a vintage 30 from what i hear.

Retro 30 - not as razor to the face sharp (a good thing), thicker, more articulate sounding(can hear more note definition). The lows seem just right, nice and tight, but not over the top and transition/blend with the other frequencies nicely. ?The highs are "sparkly" and has the room for the right amount of sizzle if desired and can be dialed down via the treble and presence pot if necessary. ?I did not get that ice pick ear fatigue with this speaker. ?From the specs on the WGS website it looks similar to the Veteran 30, with the retro showing a notch more highs and slightly higher db sensitivity.

I ended up liking the WGS British lead the best. Tried the ET65, a vet30, and the British lead. Now I put the 12t back in but only to pair it with a 2x12 cab. The stock speaker sounds good as long as it is paired with a mid heavy speaker. One of these days I plan on getting a vintage 30 for the combo as well.

Love the Super V in mine. Makes it sound huge. Noncone cry here, just a stout big sounding speaker that is great in the RM50 combo.