• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

RM80 On Ebay: Potential Scam!! But there may be Hope yet!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKMV12

Reaction score
There is an RM80 on ebay for $450. there is another one on craigslist for $500 with an Ultra Lead and Clean module. different locations, but SAME pictures. i contacted the craigslist seller yesterday. he replied today saying:

"Hey John, That eBay listing in a fraud. I reported it when you sent me this! Thanks! The amp is still available and is in Bloomington, Indiana. . . ."

i'm still a little skeptical, so i'm going to contact the ebay seller and here his side of the story. i'll let you guys know what the deal is. but if you were looking at this item, the be aware it may be a scam. if you have any more information concerning this discrepancy, please share.

Craigslist: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1228293680.html

Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Randall-RM80-Combo-Guitar-Amp-MTS-seriers_W0QQitemZ250456427549QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a505dcc1d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

Thanks, John.

We talked about both of those in this tread http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=7841.

There could be the possibility that the Craigslist guy used pictures of the one on eBay, or vice versa.

It was originally listed on eBay at $350 BIN, but a few days ago he jacked up the price.

wengnutt said:
We talked about both of those in this tread http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=7841.

There could be the possibility that the Craigslist guy used pictures of the one on eBay, or vice versa.

It was originally listed on eBay at $350 BIN, but a few days ago he jacked up the price.
ya i know. i'm not saying that we can trust the craigslist seller either, but me and a few other forum members were looking at this ebay posting, so i want to let everyone know about this discrepancy. but the craigslist seller seemed pretty reliable. here is my email and his response:

Hey. my name's John. i am interested in the RM80 you are selling.
but can you clear up a discrepancy that i noticed?

i found this same item on ebay being sold out of Grand Blanc, Michigan
and it has the same pictures that you have on your craigslist page.
is this the same item?? if so, why is it listed in a different
location??

also, in the first picture, what are those brownish spots on the grill
cloth?? is it just from the camera angle??

can you send me some pics of the top, front, and sides? i want to see
what kind of cosmetic condition its in.

do you accept paypal??

I live in Melbourne, Florida, but i'm prepared to pay shipping. it'll
be like $50-$60 right?

Thanks, John.

Hey John, That eBay listing in a fraud. I reported it when you sent me this! Thanks! The amp is still available and is in Bloomington, Indiana. Paypal is great, let me get some pictures taken after I get off work tonight and i'll send them. The pictures were from an angle, there are no spots on it and I do have the little plate that says Randall that goes on the grill. Shipping might be a little more closer to $75. I'll investigate though.
Thanks,
Travis

idk who to believe, but i found a RM50 on ebay, so i might not have to worry about it. but i just want to help prevent a "RIP STUDIOS" type scam again.

JKMV12 said:
wengnutt said:

ya i know. i'm not saying that we can trust the craigslist seller either, but me and a few other forum members were looking at this ebay posting, so i want to let everyone know about this discrepancy. but the craigslist seller seemed pretty reliable. here is my email and his response:

Hey. my name's John. i am interested in the RM80 you are selling.
but can you clear up a discrepancy that i noticed?

i found this same item on ebay being sold out of Grand Blanc, Michigan
and it has the same pictures that you have on your craigslist page.
is this the same item?? if so, why is it listed in a different
location??

also, in the first picture, what are those brownish spots on the grill
cloth?? is it just from the camera angle??

can you send me some pics of the top, front, and sides? i want to see
what kind of cosmetic condition its in.

do you accept paypal??

I live in Melbourne, Florida, but i'm prepared to pay shipping. it'll
be like $50-$60 right?

Thanks, John.

Hey John, That eBay listing in a fraud. I reported it when you sent me this! Thanks! The amp is still available and is in Bloomington, Indiana. Paypal is great, let me get some pictures taken after I get off work tonight and i'll send them. The pictures were from an angle, there are no spots on it and I do have the little plate that says Randall that goes on the grill. Shipping might be a little more closer to $75. I'll investigate though.
Thanks,
Travis

idk who to believe, but i found a RM50 on ebay, so i might not have to worry about it. but i just want to help prevent a "RIP STUDIOS" type scam again.

that seller is just up the road from Mailman, I say we have him cruise by and see if there are any goth kids hanging out on the front porch. :lol:

Jimmie

Yeah.....Roger that!
Will come to the porch and ask the GOTHIE'S if they know RIP?? haha
If its a yes.....send in my kid to kick their asses!! 8)

i asked the craigslist seller, Travis, for some pics and here is his reply as well as the pics:

Yes the modules are included, Ultra Lead and Clean. Here are shots of everything. If you look at the one that you see the transformers and stuff there is a strip of glue that looks like scratches but it just sticky stuff that hold it in place on the grill cloth. Send me you address and i'll get the shipping thing looked at and get a price. Any more questions let me know.

Thanks,
Travis

_c650317_image_0.JPG

_c650318_image_0.JPG

_c650319_image_0.JPG

_c650321_image_0.JPG

_c650322_image_0.JPG

_c650323_image_0.JPG

_c650325_image_0.JPG

_c650327_image_0.JPG

_c650328_image_0.JPG

now i think this guy is legit. he went through all the trouble of taking out the electronics and sending me high quality pictures. what do you guys think, should i buy it?? i really want an MTS amp. if you read my WTB thread then you would know why i want one of these (curse of the line 6 spider).

i'm still waiting for a reply on the RM50, two actually. but this looks like a great deal; RM80 with an Ultra Lead and Clean module for $500 plus like $75 shipping. what do you guys think??

Thanks, John.

after looking over the ebay posting very closely, i realized that the description is taken word for word from DC music:

http://proaudiomusic.com/amplifiers/randall/rm80.htm

and he most likely copied the pics from photobucket where the craigslist seller had them.

i think we can trust the craigslist seller, but what are your opinions??

crankyrayhanky said:
use a credit card that will back you up in the event of fraud
as in pay with a CC through paypal?

sorry, i'm not familiar with this kind of stuff; i'm only 17. most likely my grandmother will pay for it through her paypal account.

Thanks for your input.

yes, credit card through paypal...NOT paypal balance, debit card protection will depend on bank, so Credit may be the best route

don't fret if you miss out, there's always good deals on mts heads/combos

crankyrayhanky said:
yes, credit card through paypal...NOT paypal balance, debit card protection will depend on bank, so Credit may be the best route

don't fret if you miss out, there's always good deals on mts heads/combos
ya, i know. i lost a ebay bid on an RM50 by 2 seconds last week. then i lost a RM50 head on here by not much. so my luck has been pretty bad. but hopefully things will turn around. i have a line 6 spider right now. so needless to say, i need a new amp......BADLY. the MTS series is the first thing that really caught my eye, and now i'm hooked.

Thanks; i really appreciate everyone's input.

you've got one hip grandmother. mine'd never let a computer in her house.

bnalls said:
you've got one hip grandmother. mine'd never let a computer in her house.
ya, when i was a kid (like 3 or 4) i played little computer games and when i went to my grandparents house, my grandfather was the only one who knew how to use the computer, so when he wasn't there i asked my grandma. she had no idea what to do. so eventually she decided she would learn how to use a computer, and now she has like two desktops and one two laptops.

did i mention she met Santana once? 8) actually my grandma on my dad's side and mom's side both met Santana. (seriously, no joke). my grandma on my dad's side met him b4 he became famous, so when he asked here and her friend is they wanted to come with them on their tour, she said no.

Anyway, back to the point of the post. I think i'm going to go for this deal, what do you guys think?

Thanks, John.

I guess go for it it, i think it's a decent deal.

i was in your same shoes a year ago dude. i'm 18 and i was playing a solid state marshall til i realized forums like these existed. so i researched and learned so much stuff, and found pretty killer deals to get my gear.

the only problem is G.A.S. i'm working on my 3rd mts amp here now :shock: and a few different guitars.

but it's fun as hell :)

good luck man.

you've got pretty good protection thru paypal if you're planning on getting it shipped. I'd never even heard of an RM80 until this thread, and now i'm kinda bummed about my RM50 not having enough wattage, but I only see 2 power tubes in there so I can't figure out where the other 30 watts is coming from. I'd go for it though. Looks pretty legit and such a cool amp.

brian

bnalls said:
you've got pretty good protection thru paypal if you're planning on getting it shipped. I'd never even heard of an RM80 until this thread, and now i'm kinda bummed about my RM50 not having enough wattage, but I only see 2 power tubes in there so I can't figure out where the other 30 watts is coming from. I'd go for it though. Looks pretty legit and such a cool amp.

brian
i read somewhere on this forum that if you put some 6550 tubes in the RM50, then it will do 80W b/c they have more power. those are the tubes that the RM80 uses. 80W is a little much, so i am going to see if i can put some 6l6's or EL-34's in the RM80 to get 50W. anyone try this?? will it work??

Thanks, John.

JKMV12 said:
bnalls said:

brian
i read somewhere on this forum that if you put some 6550 tubes in the RM50, then it will do 80W b/c they have more power. those are the tubes that the RM80 uses. 80W is a little much, so i am going to see if i can put some 6l6's or EL-34's in the RM80 to get 50W. anyone try this?? will it work??

Thanks, John.

Yes, it will work fine because the RM50 and RM80 chassis are identical apart from the name :D