Should i get into the Randall MTS scene ??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyne

Reaction score
Hello guys! i just found these forums and have gone through lots of threads here. Still thought i'd ask some basic question.

I'm a fellow tone freak who loves a variety of tones but cannot afford so many different amps. The modular system and the modding scene seems like a great way to get to boutique tone without having to buy many back breaking amps.

I do not expect every module to nail the amp its trying to sound like. However, i do want the modules to sound really good. Especially the modded ones.

My main concern is about the actual build and reliability of the Randall amps themselves. Second question is regarding the Poweramp section of the RM heads. I do prefer 6L6's but i hope the power section itself does have some tone and its not some sterile circuit.

I have also read that Randall has used cheaper parts in the circuitry and the modules as compared to the Egnator series.

Do u feel the MTS is a solid, reliable toneful amp when matched with the right modules ? Do u think the Modded modules can get one into boutique tone territory ? Last of all, does it feel like a real tube rig ?
For the longest time when i did not have much info on these, i figured they were tube versions of the what Line 6 does......that may be true, but matched with the RM heads, i am hoping its response is just like that of a real stack.

Please advice. I'm interested in the RM50 and the RM4 preamp for 6 tones. Also, i do lots of clean tones and want Fender/mesa/Boutique clean tones and 5150ish hi gain territory as well. I dont foresee myself getting into module collecting as i cant afford it, but i bet it will be addictive.

Thanks
Faisal

nyne said:
Hello guys! i just found these forums and have gone through lots of threads here. Still thought i'd ask some basic question.

I'm a fellow tone freak who loves a variety of tones but cannot afford so many different amps. The modular system and the modding scene seems like a great way to get to boutique tone without having to buy many back breaking amps.

I do not expect every module to nail the amp its trying to sound like. However, i do want the modules to sound really good. Especially the modded ones.

My main concern is about the actual build and reliability of the Randall amps themselves. Second question is regarding the Poweramp section of the RM heads. I do prefer 6L6's but i hope the power section itself does have some tone and its not some sterile circuit.

I have also read that Randall has used cheaper parts in the circuitry and the modules as compared to the Egnator series.

Do u feel the MTS is a solid, reliable toneful amp when matched with the right modules ? Do u think the Modded modules can get one into boutique tone territory ? Last of all, does it feel like a real tube rig ?

For the longest time when i did not have much info on these, i figured they were tube versions of the what Line 6 does......that may be true, but matched with the RM heads, i am hoping its response is just like that of a real stack.

Please advice. I'm interested in the RM50 and the RM4 preamp for 6 tones. Also, i do lots of clean tones and want Fender/mesa/Boutique clean tones and 5150ish hi gain territory as well. I dont foresee myself getting into module collecting as i cant afford it, but i bet it will be addictive.

Thanks
Faisal

Randall uses different parts in the circuit....generally cheaper but don't let that sway you....Randall has a different target demographic than EGnater and tends to tune it's tuff for more aggressive tones. The biggest difference is the most costly part - the Iron (transformers)..Egnater specs a Heyboer and Randall uses a clone of it...

There have been reports of problems with some RM100s...a lot of it was incorrectly spec'd fuses combined with dodgy tubes,,,,but there have been one or two lemons out there...I guess like any product?

Do u feel the MTS is a solid, reliable toneful amp when matched with the right modules ?

YES

Do u think the Modded modules can get one into boutique tone territory ?

YES...a few of the Egnater modules are there already in my opinion...the COD is unique and the EG3/4 too...

Last of all, does it feel like a real tube rig ?

YES...the RM100 needs a bit more volume than an RM50 but you get the same feel, harmonics and feedback you would from a real tube amp because it is a real tube amp...not a solid state emulator a-la Line6

The biggest problem is it is absolutely addictive.....and really, once you get into modded module territory not particularly cheaper than any given 2 or 3 channel tube amp....changing your sound is a lot easier though.

Let's just say I was asking that question not too long ago myself...

And now...

IMG_0327.jpg

More addictive than crack! You're making the right choice...It won't be cheap but it will blow the competitors away...

Mattfig said:
Let's just say I was asking that question not too long ago myself...

And now...

IMG_0327.jpg

More addictive than crack! You're making the right choice...It won't be cheap but it will blow the competitors away...

Wow. I thought that I was hooked. Sweet rig!

I have had 2 RM50's, 2 RM100's, and probably 15 or so modules both modded and stock. I found that the RM50 power sections were a little too thick for me. They worked the best as power only for a Tonelab LE and RP1000 using the modeled amps in my situation but many swear by the RM50 power sections.

I now have a RM100KH and 5 modules. I could not be happier with the tones that I can get at low and high volume. Addictive? Very much so. The ability to swap power tubes and bias in minutes without having to wait to have a tech do it and to experiment with hot and cold bias settings is worth a ton to me.

Latest posts